Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oddest moments at a football ground

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The 'celery fight' between Albion fans at Gigg Lane. The stewards were so bemused they just let them get on with it! When we left, I remember seeing those wooden terraces strewn with squashed vegetation.
In the mid 1970s you could walk from one end of the short grandstand at Aldershot to the other, via the rest of the ground.

It was the same at Plough Lane.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brighton v Chesterfield at old Chesterfield ground midweek in the lower divisions. Sat on railway sleepers for first half until the fans sang that we wanted moving out to the empty concrete standing terrace behind the goal. Stewards allowed us to move and we went on to win following a cracking goal from Chris Iwelumo on his debut. And to top it all, Michel Kuipers came out to stand with us for part of the time.

The Chesterfield keeper was called Muggleton cueing lots of chants about Hermione Granger.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Brentford fans running on their pitch at FT after we’d lost and one pulled mooney at us slapping his arse. The indignity. All I could do was laugh. Circa early noughties.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Jock Riddell trying to wrestle the match ball of Gabbidinni after he got a hatrick for Darlington, whilst screaming we are ****ing skint!!

Another game at Priestfield when the steward sitting on a stool, got stuck on his arse after the match ball smashed all the legs away. He was about 20 stone and 65 years old. Probably my funniest memory at a game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jock Riddell trying to wrestle the match ball of Gabbidinni after he got a hatrick for Darlington, whilst screaming we are ****ing skint!!

Another game at Priestfield when the steward sitting on a stool, got stuck on his arse after the match ball smashed all the legs away. He was about 20 stone and 65 years old. Probably my funniest memory at a game.

Not forgetting the gait of the St John’s ambulance guy running on the pitch at the Priestfield

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Remember that although didn't know that was what he said. Around the same time, someone slagged off Andy Arnott (I think) for handballing and getting himself sent off, only to be offered out by the player's dad.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I think changing ends at half time was de rigueur for youngsters at the Goldstone late sixties, early seventies, or so my Brighton born mate tells me

Absolutely, happened quite a bit. Was always possible but often came at a transfer cost. ( could be wrong but I recall 3p. ). It happened more at reserve games when the gates were open and there was no transfer charge.

Absolutely, happened quite a bit. Was always possible but often came at a transfer cost. ( could be wrong but I recall 3p. ). It happened more at reserve games when the gates were open and there was no transfer charge.
In 1969-70 I'm pretty sure it was 5 shillings for the North Stand and 4 shillings for the East Terrace (adults) and therefore it must have been at least 1s to go through the transfer box at the top of the border between the north east terrace and the North Stand. I presume that all these prices were halved for children.

Last edited:

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Me and a mate at Yeovil not so long ago took our seats and they both collapsed at the same time.

They were rusted through.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Me and a mate at Yeovil not so long ago took our seats and they both collapsed at the same time.

They were rusted through.

Doing National Service in1959, I was posted to a London transit depot. Decided to go and see Fulham as my idol Jimmy Langley played for them. In the ground on the river side was a large News of the World hoarding with about 3 fellows sitting on the top, so I joined them. At half time turned around to watch boats on the Thames. Going nicely was a rowing crew of 8, but coming the opposite way was a pleasure Steamer. Don’t need to explain further as you can guess what happened. 8 Very wet oarsmen.
Best half time entertainment I have ever seen.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For some reason I always remember a game on the terraces at Priestfield.

One of the opposition team had long dark hair, and a slightly swarthy complexion.

Every time he got the ball, a chorus of Red Indian hand-to-mouth whooping noises would break out among the Albion fans.

It was incredibly childish, but also incredibly funny.

Or maybe I'd just had one too many in The Cricketers that day... :drink::drink::drink:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Around 10-15 years back home match at Withdean, a very drab game (cant remember who we were playing). There was a pissed up bloke in H Block. Stewards gave him a talking to, asked him to calm down. After some minutes he started off again so the stewards came up to eject him, in the scuffle which ensued they ended up pulling the pissed-up bloke's false leg off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here