Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Duffy

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think the key thing is when Duffy's playing we don't look like we are going to concede from every bloody cross in the box. Desperately need to get back to basics.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Out of interest, how many goals have we conceded from crosses into the box without Duffy in the team?

B’Muff corner is one instant. I can’t think of many more.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
As it stands right now, we need a solid defensive base on which to build and some fight and character in the team. I am a lot less worried about my defenders being comfortable with receiving a 5 yard pass in their own box and more about getting clean sheets on which to build. Frankly Duffy is, in my opinion, a long way ahead of Webster in both character and the art of actual defending which is the primary role and i would be unhappy of this is true.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has anyone got the clip of Duffy in the home game against Bournemouth where he gets done by Solanke?

I’m not saying he’s not good enough but this belief he is going to sort out all our defensive problems are baffling

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That’s not what I’m saying and have never said. You may be mistaking me for someone.

I bolded out a sentence which said he was one of the best in the world, that is simply not true. He’s a great defender and someone who I rate quite highly. But you need to come off the meds if you thjnk he’s one of the worlds best centre-backs

One last run at this before I assume you are just trolling me.

I'm not saying he's one of the worlds best centre backs.

I'm saying for all his short comings, as a footballer, in his position at centre back, he is still one of the worlds best players at stopping the ball from going into the goal.

Last edited:

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
One last run at this before I assume you are just trolling me.

I'm not saying he's one of the worlds best centre backs.

I'm saying for all his short comings, as a footballer, in his position at centre back, he is still one of the worlds best players at stopping the ball from going into the goal.

2A61B9B9-2911-4999-8138-972E443A14A0.jpeg

I don’t have the intelligence or patience to troll anyone, but I’m not going to agree that you didn’t say he’s a world class centre back, recheck your own post!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
View attachment 119375

I don’t have the intelligence or patience to troll anyone, but I’m not going to agree that you didn’t say he’s a world class centre back, recheck your own post!
Yes that's correct.

Not rated as a footballer.

But still one of the world's best defenders.

As I keep pointing out, and you keep missing, there is a huge difference between being a 'footballer' and a 'defender'.

Shane can, will, and does, DEFEND his goal as one of the worlds best.

But Shane can't do what the other lesser defenders, but better footballers, can:-

Pace
Guille
Control
Technique
etc

Mr Potter wants all of that from all his defenders as well as defending.
He's seems prepared to accept defensive shortcomings in favour of overall play.

Mr Hughton wanted the blunt instrument that was Duffy, using Dunk for the finesse.

Shane is a throwback centre back, a huge Irish wall, hard as nails, blunt enough to ride bare arsed to Canterbury on and rather at odds with top flight 21st century football.

What he can do, DEFEND, puts him above most of his contemporaries.
What he can't do, FOOTBALL, stops him from being even an addendum to that conversation.

boik

Horses for courses and we're on a different course now.

Shane is great defending deep with team mates close by. Last ditch tackles, heading balls away. He has always looked nervous with the ball at his feet and having to chose a pass.

It seems that recently, goals against have been breakaway goals from balls slid through. Don't think Shane has the speed to chase back, or to cut out the pass. I think Webster has the potential but is suffering a crisis of confidence (not surprising with everyone on his back). If/when he gets his mojo back, he is better at bringing the ball out than anyone we've got. Remember those surging runs early on. Not seen that for the last few months. It's a shame the BDB is injured as I think Webster could do with a break. Maybe this time away will serve him well

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We need to ship out dinosaurs Duffy, Dunk and Murray this month, to pave the way for All Out Potterball.

The Championship will be quaking in their boots. The Premier League on the other hand would be merely waving us goodbye.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Has anyone got the clip of Duffy in the home game against Bournemouth where he gets done by Solanke?

I’m not saying he’s not good enough but this belief he is going to sort out all our defensive problems are baffling

There’s also a clip available of Dunky getting properly done by Richarlison at the Amex this year. There are good strikers in this league and this will happen from time to time.

The important thing is how often it happens. In the 2 years as a regular starter in this league, Duffy made way fewer basic errors than Webster has had in his half a season with us.

What’s also important in a centre back is the ability to cover for your mates errors. What on earth was Webster thinking for that third Bournemouth goal? Why didn’t he chase it back? If we had got it back to 2-1 rather than 3-1, then we’ have had a chance to test Muff’s charachter.

I don’t ever want to come on here to have a pop at a Brighton player, but he just doesn’t have the out and out love of defending that we need in a dog fight. His distribution is ok, not brilliant by any means. Where he really looks good is carrying the ball into midfield. However, we’re playing with 2 centre backs and high full backs so there just isn’t the opportunity in the current system for him to show his worth. If we go back to 3 at the back, he should definitely play. At the moment, I see Duffy as well ahead of him.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Out of interest, how many goals have we conceded from crosses into the box without Duffy in the team?

B’Muff corner is one instant. I can’t think of many more.

Off the top of my head both goals against Liverpool and the Chelsea goal at the Amex.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Off the top of my head both goals against Liverpool, Chelsea and Sheffield United’s goals at the Amex.

Sheffield Utd wasn't a cross into the box, it was a long kick downfield and McBurnie outpaced Dunk to score from the right hand side

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's not forget who was last season's Premier League highest scoring defender.

Thankfully Mr Webster hasn't been too shabby in that department.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not that its up to him, but I'd wager that if you gave Lewis Dunk the choice of having Webster alongside him in that defence or Duffy, he'd pick Duffy every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. I'd also venture that most opposition forwards would much prefer to face Webster rather than Duffy.

Webster is a decent prospect and may well develop into a fine centreback. But at the moment he reminds me of Dunk 5 years ago - lots of good attributes, but there's always a ricket on the cards. With experience and no doubt some fine coaching from CH, Dunk has largely eliminated that from his game now, but Webster isn't there yet, and its costing us.

I think D&D have been the foundation of our success these last few years, they've been the bedrock of the team and I can't help feeling that splitting that partnership up has been a mistake. If we MUST play Webster then I'd much prefer it to be in a 3 with wingbacks. But GP just doesn't fancy him, so we are where we are I suppose. I'll be very disappointed if Duffy moves on, but you can't expect an International centreback in his prime to hang around collecting splinters, so his days here are sadly probably numbered.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that its up to him, but I'd wager that if you gave Lewis Dunk the choice of having Webster alongside him in that defence or Duffy, he'd pick Duffy every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. I'd also venture that most opposition forwards would much prefer to face Webster rather than Duffy.

Webster is a decent prospect and may well develop into a fine centreback. But at the moment he reminds me of Dunk 5 years ago - lots of good attributes, but there's always a ricket on the cards. With experience and no doubt some find coaching from CH, Dunk has largely eliminated that from his game now, but Webster isn't there yet, and its costing us.

I think D&D have been the foundation of our success these last few years, they've been the bedrock of the team and I can't help feeling that splitting that partnership up has been a mistake. If we MUST play Webster then I'd much prefer it to be in a 3 with wingbacks. But GP just doesn't fancy him, so we are where we are I suppose. I'll be very disappointed if Duffy moves on, but you can't expect an International centreback in his prime to hang around collecting splinters, so his days here are sadly probably numbered.

GPott strode manfully into the prison yard.
He had all his posse behind him.
He chinned the biggest hardest b*****d he could find.
Pointed at Webster screaming "you answer to him now - he's your daddy".

6 months later GPott & Webbo are pleading with the warden to be sent to solitary, for their own safety.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
And I always fancied havin a '' 9 inch Willy '' but sadly it wasn't to be

There's still time. Congratulations at 'Coming Out' anyway. :safeway:

(I'm surprised this emoji is still allowed. I'm even more surprised that someone could be so backward as to use it. I'm less surprised that it was me.)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My point?

You're claiming Webster is miles behind Duffy even so we're looking to loan Duffy out whilst keeping Webster who's been a regular all season. But you obviously know better than Potter who has only kept us above the relegation zone all season not to mention his previous achievements with other clubs.
It seems you're so desperate to criticise Webster you're even denying the likes of Barnes and Wood were poorly judged (which can't be argued ) by our fans when they were here just so you can maintain your argument that Webster is "miles behind Duffy". Thats pretty desperate when it comes to criticism if you ask me.

Why did I bring up Barnes in relation to your opinion of Webster I wonder? I guess you probably/conveniently won't understand that too?
I can’t help but think you’ve wound yourself up so much that you’re losing your train of thought. Wood and Barnes were harshly judged by a lot of our fan base, but neither of them were very expensive signings who were being shoe horned into the team at the expense of the current POTS.
This season we’ve dominated possession in almost every game, but we’ve kept 5 clean sheets, the opposition doesn’t often have the ball but seem to successfully score with the few opportunities they do have.
Nobody, absolutely nobody is debating that Webster doesn’t have the attributes to go on to be a very good defender, but right now, as things stand, he’s not as good at defending as Duffy, that’s not to say Duffy doesn’t have his own limitations but right now, being in a relegation scrap, Duffy looks the better option. I believe playing alongside Webster is having an adverse effect on Dunk’s performances.
Obviously Potter has other ideas and that’s absolutely fine, but from my perspective it seems a bit odd.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here