Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The words of Maty Ryan:

To keep a clean sheet speaks volumes about the effort shown by the lads.

We need to leave everything out on the pitch. It’s one thing we’ve been guilty of recently. I guess we haven’t wanted it as much as the opposition, which is disappointing.
Doesn't make it true. I remember a few months ago Duffy saying something similar, and when Johnny Cantor asked Hughton about it, Hughton just past it off as a player who was disappointed with a result, and said the opposite to Duffy.

Sure as the goals went in against plucky, our heads dropped and you could say some players didn't want it (mostly due to frustration and not knowing how to fix it), but not before that, and it wasn't the case against Cardiff either.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Newcastle are much improved and anyone thinking we will just walk over them hasn't watched our last 10 games.
I think Cardiff will get results against Palarse and Fulham, we need another 4 points to stave this off and I can't see where they will come from.
Chris was making a point today with the team selection and he should have a lot more say in who he wants if he doesn't already.
The quality of the top teams in this division has dictated the way we play, though we are the only team in this division who feel they have to play this way which is also strange.
The City v Spurs result will mean that Liverpool must win to stay in contention, that was a good result for us.
Warnock will not give up till the final whistle of the final game, not a big fan, but he has the tenacious qualities which we need at present, he believes he can upset the big teams and doesn't hide from them.
I think Chris will be gone after this season and keeping us in this League will be his legacy, albeit playing turgid till the end.
Pre season will be interesting I must say.

We'd only need 3 more points if Cardiff get 2 wins... I get your point though, we seem incapable of beating an egg at the moment let alone another premier league football team. Yesterday did give me a bit of hope again though. Although still didn't test the keeper, surely (surely!) we are due a goal soon, and the lads will know that next saturday is do or die really. They'll know it's our last realistic chance of points. If they haven't left everything on the pitch by 4.50pm next Saturday I'll be seriously p*ssed off!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Cardiff will get results against Palarse and Fulham, we need another 4 points to stave this off and I can't see where they will come from.
If Cardiff beat Fulham and Palace, we'll need 3 more points. They'd all have to come against Newcastle, and that would indeed be a tough ask.

Chris was making a point today with the team selection and he should have a lot more say in who he wants if he doesn't already.
WTF? So you don't think he picked the team that he thought would be most likely to get us a point, you think his selection was more to do with moaning at the owner? Don't be ****ing stupid.

The quality of the top teams in this division has dictated the way we play, though we are the only team in this division who feel they have to play this way which is also strange.
We didn't feel we had to play like that all season, but following 5 defeats, with relegation staring us in the face, it was time for a change in tactics.

The City v Spurs result will mean that Liverpool must win to stay in contention, that was a good result for us.
So if City had only drawn with Spurs, Liverpool would have taken it easy against Cardiff, thinking a point would do :facepalm:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We'd only need 3 more points if Cardiff get 2 wins... I get your point though, we seem incapable of beating an egg at the moment let alone another premier league football team. Yesterday did give me a bit of hope again though. Although still didn't test the keeper, surely (surely!) we are due a goal soon, and the lads will know that next saturday is do or die really. They'll know it's our last realistic chance of points. If they haven't left everything on the pitch by 4.50pm next Saturday I'll be seriously p*ssed off!

Given Newcastle’s form and ours I can see them breaking our hearts for the second time in three seasons. Playing at home brings out really nervous displays from the team these days.

A Cardiff implosion is our best hope or a backs to wall heroics at Spurs and sneaking another point. I think that is more likely than a home win at the moment.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's just possible that Palace may offset the angst caused by 2 derby defeats to us with the sheer euphoria of having an influential hand in our relegation.
I’d be the same if it was the other way around. Can’t blame them for that.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We'd only need 3 more points if Cardiff get 2 wins... I get your point though, we seem incapable of beating an egg at the moment let alone another premier league football team. Yesterday did give me a bit of hope again though. Although still didn't test the keeper, surely (surely!) we are due a goal soon, and the lads will know that next saturday is do or die really. They'll know it's our last realistic chance of points. If they haven't left everything on the pitch by 4.50pm Seaweed Saturday I'll be seriously p*ssed off!

I hope not as the kick off is 530!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can see Palarse fielding a team of reserves to be honest, no relegation problems and nothing else to play for.

Same for them last season, they won 5 of their last 6 to finish 11th. They’ll apply that experience for another strong end to the season. They’re 4pts off 11th with a game in hand, could mean an extra £6m odd.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Same for them last season, they won 5 of their last 6 to finish 11th. They’ll apply that experience for another strong end to the season. They’re 4pts off 11th with a game in hand, could mean an extra £6m odd.
Plus the rivalry is between the fans the clubs will only be interested in money meaning higher league place.
Roy Hodgson is also far to professional and will want to win every game.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Plus the rivalry is between the fans the clubs will only be interested in money meaning higher league place.

exactly. The fans may care, but the players (I guess zaha aside perhaps) won't give a monkey's. They and Hodgson will want to finish the season strongly and in as high a position as possible. they absolutely won't be thinking about our predicament.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Expected goals: https://understat.com/league/EPL

Wolves 2.6 0 0.12 Brighton
Brighton 0.59 - 0.82 Cardiff
Brighton 0.21 - Bournemouth 2.77
Brighton 0.56 - 0.86 Southampton

We rode our luck against Wolves, on any other day we'd have lost. Not so lucky against Cardiff and Southampton.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Expected goals: https://understat.com/league/EPL

Wolves 2.6 0 0.12 Brighton
Brighton 0.59 - 0.82 Cardiff
Brighton 0.21 - Bournemouth 2.77
Brighton 0.56 - 0.86 Southampton

We rode our luck against Wolves, on any other day we'd have lost. Not so lucky against Cardiff and Southampton.

Lot of truth in this. We started well against Cardiff, their first was probably a harder chance than some Wolves had. Thought we were doing well against Bournemouth till we gave the ball away to get them started. Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff first goals all from us giving the ball away cheaply. Hope yesterday is a turning point in that regard.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can see Palarse fielding a team of reserves to be honest, no relegation problems and nothing else to play for.

Each position further up the table is worth £2m in prize money. Realistically Palace could finish anywhere between 12th and 15th this season, they will want to win. Whilst the fans might be happy to lose, the players and manager won't share that viewpoint.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lot of truth in this. We started well against Cardiff, their first was probably a harder chance than some Wolves had. Thought we were doing well against Bournemouth till we gave the ball away to get them started. Southampton, Bournemouth and Cardiff first goals all from us giving the ball away cheaply.
Giving it away catastrophically against Southampton, and being hit on the break against Bournemouth and Cardiff - although against Cardiff, we did manage to get roughly back into shape, but the goal was a bloody peach. I can't imagine they've score many as good as that.
Hope yesterday is a turning point in that regard.
Yesterday was proof (for those daft enough to doubt it) that the team care, but we rode our luck and it's difficult to believe we'll get anything in 3 of our last 4 games.

If Cardiff can beat Fulham, I feel like we'll go down.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Fulham also playing like it means something to set themselves up for next season. Don’t see them on the beach last 2 games either.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Each position further up the table is worth £2m in prize money. Realistically Palace could finish anywhere between 12th and 15th this season, they will want to win.
A good point to start with.
Whilst the fans might be happy to lose, the players and manager won't share that viewpoint.
Well the manager will want his team to win, and nearly all the players will want to win. A couple of players, however, could well be less determined than usual, and that could make the difference. It's on TV isn't it, which should help us. More likely to put on a shift if it's on the box.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Each position further up the table is worth £2m in prize money. Realistically Palace could finish anywhere between 12th and 15th this season, they will want to win. Whilst the fans might be happy to lose, the players and manager won't share that viewpoint.

Jordan might want to announce that he'll divi up £2m amongst the fans if they win :)

If we we had that game to send Croydon down I can just imagine our fans getting right behind Cardiff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here