Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don’t think we could have realistically expected what he’s done in the last 18 months. I certainly wasn’t expecting any sort of meaningful contribution from him in the PL but he’s done a great job. And I’d still back him to finish a chance ahead of any of our other players.

However, I think it’s been obvious all season that the team seriously suffers from having such a pedestrian striker. Unfortunately his body just can’t deal with the role he’s being asked to play at this level anymore. Every defender he comes up against is bigger, stronger and quicker. I’m sure there are times when our players look forward and actually avoid playing the ball they really should because they know he has no chance of winning/keeping it. It’s not even all about his inability to challenge, impose himself or keep the ball. We’ve seen numerous times now that just having somebody upfront who can run (Andone, Locadia) can upset a defence. It’s not exactly asking a lot to expect our striker to run, but it shows how off the pace Murray is that a simple bit of movement is such an upgrade.

I’d still have him on the bench. He’s a great option in the last 15 minutes when we need a goal. But the fact he’s started 29 games this season is Exhibit A in the case against Hughton and his policy of persisting with his favourites against all evidence.

This.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I was against Glenn returning to the club but he has done very well for us but I think the time has come for him to be benched. Ideally I would like to see Andone and Locadia up front together but I know that won't happen. Against Huddersfield we were going nowhere until Andone came on and it was then that the midfielders were finding space as Andone was energetic and making runs into the channels pulling defenders out of position. It is so easy to defend us against us when there is no movement as defences can keep their shape. A knock on effect is the backward passing that fans are moaning about but what do the midfielders do? They either go back to retain possession or play the ball forward to Murray who is so isolated, especially without Gross, that inevitably the opponent regains possession. It was the same yesterday in that Glenn was very static and our attacking play was poor until Locadia came on, who had more decent efforts on goal than probably the rest put together.
The premier league stats also show that we lack movement as we are 18th in distance covered and 17th for the number of sprints. I fear for our survival if things don't change.
Was that because of the Palace connection? I assumed it was so I skimmed your post. There will be no return from Glenn if there is no service - simple. He's no different to any other striker - pace has never been a part of his game either. Feed him scraps and you'll generally get **** all. Many have been saying for ages, not necessarily on NSC, that Andone should be starting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's so nice, and refreshing, for so many posters to final see what I've being saying all year.

If only I could pick lottery numbers as well!!!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah deffo.

After all we know just well Big Jurg thrives in games where he's the only player in the opposition half.

The condensed version of my post on the Ali thread:-

Murrayoffside has held this team back and his terrible performances aren't offset by his 11 goals.

I think I....agree with....that. Sadly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was that because of the Palace connection? I assumed it was so I skimmed your post. There will be no return from Glenn if there is no service - simple. He's no different to any other striker - pace has never been a part of his game either. Feed him scraps and you'll generally get **** all. Many have been saying for ages, not necessarily on NSC, that Andone should be starting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The trouble with Flozza is that it seems his whole body is made of crisps.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Murray wins so must in the air from goal kicks and throw ins and yet no one is prepared to gamble and run beyond him. If no one is going to play off him we might as well from throw ins go backwards to the defenders and start all attacks out of the back four.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Murray wins so must in the air from goal kicks and throw ins and yet no one is prepared to gamble and run beyond him. If no one is going to play off him we might as well from throw ins go backwards to the defenders and start all attacks out of the back four.

Ain't it just so :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ain't it just so :thumbsup:

Well, I agree with that too. So who is the clown who keeps picking Muzza up front on his own? ???

That said, Muzza and Andone (not Locardia) is so Ward and Mellor that we'd be in danger of being relegated back to 1979.

Not sure what the solution is but Murray probably isn't. Probably. But what do I know? Not as if he scored a wonder goal with his fourth touch away at Palace or anything....

:moo::shrug::shootself:rave:

Edit **** me, my speling.....

Last edited:

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
Would get rid of him in the summer, we need freshen up more and really upgrade the squad. Don't get me wrong I love Glenn, he has been an incrediable and vital player for us but it's time to move on.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well, I agree with that too. So who is the clown who keeps picking Muzza up front on his own? ???

That said, Muzza and Andone (not Locardia) is so Ward and Mellor that we'd be in danger of being relegated back to 1979.

Not sure what the solution is but Murray probaly isn't. Probably. But what do I know? Not as if he scored a wonder goal with his fourth touch away at Palace or anything....

:moo::shrug::shootself:rave:

Well I'm old fashioned and think strikers should hunt in pairs....but its not the way we play and some other clubs.....Andone has something to offer ..but I do wonder if he had a run in the team and then had a lean spell (as is likely) people would be calling for a change...its the way...I'll still go back to what I said yesterday and that we do miss Pascal at home ..ye ye I know he's a tad slow etc...but he does give us this link...that makes it work better than it currently is ....it will be interesting to see what activity we do in the transfer market this summer re the number ten/striker role (assuming we are in the PL)...but in the meantime lets not write off GM just yet

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well I'm old fashioned and think strikers should hunt in pairs....but its not the way we play and some other clubs.....Andone has something to offer ..but I do wonder if he had a run in the team and then had as he had a lean spell (as is likely) people would be calling for a change...its the way...I'll still go back to what I said yesterday and that we do miss Pascal at home ..ye ye I know he's a tad slow etc...but he does give us this link...that makes it work better than it currently is ....it will be interesting to see what activity we do in the transfer market this summer re the number ten/striker role (assuming we are in the PL)...but in the meantime lets not write off GM just yet

Fair enough. I was looking to the future. *cough* It's only just begun. :rolleyes::O:cheers:

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Some really good comments,but it comes back to the manager and we all know that he won't play a true 4-4-2. I don't class Gross as a striker and to play him and Murray together will still give us no pace upfront. The big problem is not so much Glen's lack of pace but the lack of pace in centre m/f this is what stops us playing a true 4-4-2, hence the 5 across the m/f and the slow attacking play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here