Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace winger says he was sent death threats after Arsenal draw

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He cries wolf on the pitch like an absolute bell-end - but about racism and death threats off it? I can't comment as I don't follow him on social media (I'd rather dip my nuts in a deep fat fryer) but there's an element of him having to call it out, otherwise does it become acceptable?
There is an element of that, which I accept. But you didn't quote my whole post where I think I pointed out why I think he's not actually doing anyone any favours apart from himself, as per ****ing usual.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's one thing when the crowd at the match is booing an opposition player, or shouting abuse on the lines of 'cheat' or 'w@nker', but there is no excuse or justification for racial abuse or threatening a player's family. That's despicable.
I'd be interested to know through what medium these threats were made, and which medium Zaha used for his replies - just from what I've read in that BBC article he seems to be replying and arguing back, which in itself is probably not the wisest thing to do - feeding the trolls and all that. I do suspect, however, that this is a case of internet trolling -which brings me to my point. Wouldn't it be a good idea for young footballers (some of whom won't always make the most mature decisions) to have it in their contracts not to go on social media at all, period. I know youngsters are pretty addicted to the mobile phones, Whatsap, Instagram, Twitter and lord knows what else - but would they really think it wasn't worth giving up these things for £40K, £80K, £100K or whatever they are getting per week? There's other ways of keeping in touch with families and friends, ffs!

I mean, how much a week would you take to stop using NSC? £50K a week and I'd certainly close my account here and now (smaller offers may be considered)!
I'll take £20k of your £50k a week to close mine too. Deal?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
………. and what if just one of those death threats is from someone who actually intends to do something about it?

They simply never do. Or we’d have run out of famous and infamous persons in 2016. It’s keyboard warriors talking shite. No ones condoning it. But you’ve zero chance of eradicating completely. Christ, you know what I mean. Can’t be arsed to explain further to anyone who really is dumb enough to think Zaha’s life is in danger because of a couple of twats being twats on twatish social media platforms. It’s the bloody norm and has been since the Internet was born. Now, if they’d taken the time and trouble to stalk him, turn up in person and threaten him face to face that of course would be different. But in today’s abuse click send society encompassing billions of people anywhere on the planet...? Nah, I think our fragile friend will be ok.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They simply never do. Or we’d have run out of famous and infamous persons in 2016. It’s keyboard warriors talking shite. No ones condoning it. But you’ve zero chance of eradicating completely. Christ, you know what I mean. Can’t be arsed to explain further to anyone who really is dumb enough to think Zaha’s life is in danger because of a couple of twats being twats on twatish social media platforms. It’s the bloody norm and has been since the Internet was born. Now, if they’d taken the time and trouble to stalk him, turn up in person and threaten him face to face that of course would be different. But in today’s abuse click send society encompassing billions of people anywhere on the planet...? Nah, I think our fragile friend will be ok.
Exactly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have no stats to back this up but I'm pretty sure the ratio of death threats to Premier League players on social media v number of actual attempts on their lives will be something like 1000000:0.

Most ignore the internet nutters. Not "LOOK AT ME" Wilf as clearly he's convinced that the World is out to get him (booked for cheating).

The bigger picture that everyone seems to be ignoring is that this type of abuse, totally wrong and unacceptable as it is, happens EVERY day to MOST famous people. It's not right, it's just a fact.

Precisely. Our connected age means we must all tolerate a level of online unkindness whatever form it takes. I shall lead by example and say ‘your mother was a hamster’

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Precisely. Our connected age means we must all tolerate a level of online unkindness whatever form it takes. I shall lead by example and say ‘your mother was a hamster’
It's just like on here. I've had some right abuse (and dished it out in fairness) mainly from Palace tits. The only thing that's actually made me angry was actual stalking "I know where you live" type stuff. And that's not feeling threatened, just that it's out of order and really sad. Some random on Twitter threatening to kill me (has happened) is total irrelevance.

"Your father sucked hamster cock"

"That means he was doing your mum" etc etc

Who cares.

Oh, Wilf does.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Loathed to say it but Zaha is alright. Absolutely no place in modern society for this level of racist aggression.

No he’s not. He’s a talented player who spoils his image by consistently play acting or cheating depending on your level of criticism.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's just like on here. I've had some right abuse (and dished it out in fairness) mainly from Palace tits. The only thing that's actually made me angry was actual stalking "I know where you live" type stuff. And that's not feeling threatened, just that it's out of order and really sad. Some random on Twitter threatening to kill me (has happened) is total irrelevance.

"Your father sucked hamster cock"

"That means he was doing your mum" etc etc

Who cares.

Oh, Wilf does.

Exactly. By the age of 10 my brother should, by rights, be dead at least a thousand (ONE THOUSAND as the vidiprinter would say) times. I too the other way, having received ‘death threats’ (ooo, the drama!) from friends and family including my mother. No one was charged, no risk assessments taken etc even though those involved were well known to each other - up to and including the exchange of Xmas and birthday presents. I simply ignored (and was ignored) and my advice to Mr Tumble would be to do the same.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He can dive every game but racial insults and threats have no excuse. Scum.

Sorry to go off-piste but I met someone who has known him for years (not a football fan) and according to him he is a genuinely very nice person.

He does dive a lot though....

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Probably best not ignore all that shit but nothing wrong with his response.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
"For all the people taking it one step further and being racist and wishing death on my family, I wish you and your families the best too,"*he said.

In fairness, Wilf always follows his own advice here. He never "takes it one step further".

It's much easier to just fall to the ground instead.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I really wonder sometimes. Banter and Zaha's diving reputation aside, seriously anyone who really thinks this is anything other than disgusting. Seriously? Grow up. It's a game of football at the end of the day, and there's some tw@ts out there. But saying its just on the internet/comes with the job/stop diving and it wouldnt happen.blah blah he deserves it or should expect it. Really??

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

There is a big difference between imagining that Zaha is in real danger (at one end of the spectrum) and condoning the 'threats and abuse' on the other. Nobody is suggesting that they like the little fella or that he is in real danger. However threats and racism can't be condoned. That's all there is to it, surely?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

"Can't be arsed to explain to someone dumb enough...." - thanksvgorvthe compliment. I'm not daft enough to think there are loads of people marching South London as we speak with the intention of doing Mr Z in. But famous people do get murdered. John Lennon for example. And there was a case a few years ago in Devon of someone being arrested on their way to murder a female singer.... was it Joss Stone.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
It shouldn't happen and is disgusting, but it does, all the time. Don't forget Knockeart left Twitter because of abuse. Zaha needs to feel loved (it's just the sort of person he is)and this sort of thing could affect him more than some realise and this is the way he deals with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here