Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Connect iPad to TV/PS4?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you clever people knew how/if I could project my iPad onto my TV (maybe using the PS4) without having to buy anything I couldn't get from Sainsburys on the way home?

I have Sky Go and hoping to watch the game on the big TV rather than on the iPad itself but to get the PS4 Sky Go I have to have Extra. My Father in law (who has the Sky account) is not willing to pay more money.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you clever people knew how/if I could project my iPad onto my TV (maybe using the PS4) without having to buy anything I couldn't get from Sainsburys on the way home?

I have Sky Go and hoping to watch the game on the big TV rather than on the iPad itself but to get the PS4 Sky Go I have to have Extra. My Father in law (who has the Sky account) is not willing to pay more money.

I have a dongle thing with an Apple connection (Fire-something) at one end, and HDMI female at the other. Providing you have a HDMI socket on your tv and a HDMI cable, Robert is your mother's brother. I think Sainsbury's used to sell the Apple dongle. Like all things Apple, it's not cheap (£25?).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Nice one - thank you. May try and get off work a little early and pop to the PC World. Otherwise it will be all hopes on Sainsburys or squinting at the small screen!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That's the thingy - (lightning, not fire-something; and £39, not £25). But....OP....."....[FONT=noto_serifregular]For example, the Sky Go app will not allow you to use the HDMI output to watch shows on the big screen." :/[/FONT]

Oh, that may end that idea then!
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] no laptop apart from work unfortunately. Moved in with the in laws to save for a house so got rid of all non essentials until we move out (2 weeks time - after 9 months I cannot wait)

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Normally I'd say go and splash £30 on a Chromecsat, but doesn't Sky Go prevent any external video going out (HDMI, Chromecast or Airplay)?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before buying, check what Goldstone says about the iPad disabling the HDMI out when using sky go.
My Father in law (who has the Sky account) is not willing to pay more money.
You could pay the extra, then you get to watch Sky on your PS4. Even after you've moved home.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That's the thingy - (lightning, not fire-something; and £39, not £25). But....OP....."....[FONT=noto_serifregular]For example, the Sky Go app will not allow you to use the HDMI output to watch shows on the big screen." :/[/FONT]

Oh, that may end that idea then!
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] no laptop apart from work unfortunately. Moved in with the in laws to save for a house so got rid of all non essentials until we move out (2 weeks time - after 9 months I cannot wait)

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Sorry for the bad news, but you wont be able to export the Sky Go picture!!

even with a jailbroken ipad and custom apps you are not able to export the picture

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Sky Go on the Ipad won't play on your TV they have blocked it, you can't even mirror using apple TV.

think its ipad screen or the pub.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Tape your ipad to the inside of a cardboard box then put the box over your head.

It will then appear as if you are watching inside a cinema.

:thumbsup:

Contender for post of the year. Spluttered on my peanut butter on toast lunch.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Thanks Guys, looks like I will have to talk the father in law into letting me pay him the handsome sum of £5 to upgrade, or go down the pub.

Hiney has a great idea, but all the boxes have been used for packing - stupid packing

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Am I missing something here ? I regularly run a HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV to watch Sky Go on a big screen in my garden. Spent most of last summer watching the Ashes exactly like that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi Guys,

I think you get a free 1 month trial of Sky Go Extra. I use my Grandads Sky Go, and upgraded to Extra for a month to see what it was like on XBox. Then cancelled before the extra subscription started. With a look to get you to the end of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I missing something here ? I regularly run a HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV to watch Sky Go on a big screen in my garden. Spent most of last summer watching the Ashes exactly like that.
Yeah, he hasn't got a laptop.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah, he hasn't got a laptop.

Oh I SEE

So is Sky Go blocked from being "projected" from an Apple iPad, or is that all tablets ? Seems a bit odd and pointless, being as you can do it without issue from a lappy.

[edit]

and if the Sky Go APP blocks iPads/tablets from projecting, whats to stop someone just signing in to Sky Go using an internet browser and doing it that way, as you would on a laptop ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The restrictions on the Sky Go app for iOS or Android devices is completely different to a computer / laptop restrictions. I have 2 Sky Go devices, the iPad which cannot connect, and an old Apple MacMini connected direct to the telly where you access Sky Go through the web browser. (edit: I see that has been said already...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here