Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Article in the Argus today.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'd have to disagree with you.

Poyet turned a bunch of hopeless, brain-dead cloggers into something of a passing side very quickly. Ugh, I feel dirty praising him.

Hughton's side has looked so poorly coached most of this season. They resemble the cloggers Poyet inherited. I have said many times on here this season that the £35 Million academy has not been used by the look of it. Poorly coached, lacking in fitness, lacking in self belief and lacking in motivation. All comes from the coaching staff and manager. Like many I think it's too late to dump the lot of them now so we're stuck with them. Big clear out in the summer I hope.

For Sale: Prestigious Training Facility located in Lancing, West Sussex. Hardly used. In 'as new condition'. Would suit ambitious professional football club. Offers in the region of 35M.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You may say you disagree me but we do seem to agree on one thing - that we are shit

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Now, this is a game we have to be solid in... B'muff and Baadiff at home... we should have shown more attacking intent...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I saw him mostly with his hands in his pockets only to remove one to throw his chewing gum on the ground...disgusting habit

Standard touchline stuff from him. He rarely strays away from the washing up bowl swishing motion.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is how I see it too. The movement is shockingly lacking (always has been) so it has to be the players following instructions. The wingers will lay the ball off to Stephens, and instead of even occasionally heading at pace down the wing or into the channel, they hover 5-10 yards away waiting for a return pass. If, occasionally, the wingers get the ball in a forward position, we either have one or none in the box, so the cross is wasted (if it’s any good anyway) because none of the midfield ever get up to support forward play. Again, they have to be playing to orders.

Ask Solly March what he gets instructed to do..."Don't go too far forward".

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
3F031E3B-86F8-48C0-A625-FFDC83D9DB34.jpeg

Odds have crashed this evening, with some bookies suspending the odds... :eek:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If I remember correctly...and I DO, here's a fact that I think has been totally forgotten by many Albion fans.

Around November time last year, Hughton was asked about his plans for the upcoming Winter transfer window.

His words went something like this...I believe we have enough quality in the squad and I don't particularly see the need for us to go into the market.

Or to quote We are Brighton.com in an early 2019 article...

"Chris Hughton said it would be a quiet January transfer window for Brighton and Hove Albion and he wasn’t wrong as the Seagulls didn’t bring in one player to strengthen their squad for the immediate future"

So, now tell me all the 'in Hughton we trust' fans, do you still have total faith in Hughton as our manager for the remainder of this, and possibly next season??

There was probably over confidence from TB/PB/CH/PW at that time, that our more than decent points tally meant we’d be OK this season. Leaving us this summer with a full new tranche of PL money, to spend in a considered way, rather than in the sellers market of January.

In hindsight, obviously not.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
View attachment 107967

Odds have crashed this evening, with some bookies suspending the odds... :eek:
I recall the night of the completely ill advised referendum. At about 11pm Betfair had Leave at 15s. I ALMOST stuck £100 on just so that whatever happend I could wake up happy in some way. I didn't.

I've ignored odds since.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I recall the night of the completely ill advised referendum. At about 11pm Betfair had Leave at 15s. I ALMOST stuck £100 on just so that whatever happend I could wake up happy in some way. I didn't.

I've ignored odds since.

I remember, I had a very similar experience.

I was sure there was going to be a f*** it result so I went on to check the odds but they were too big so I thought I was wrong.

If only they'd been about 8s.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I've ignored odds since.

Farage looked crestfallen at that time, I think he may’ve even admitted defeat or something similar. An hour later grinning from ear to ear.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The big mistake was thinking we were safe in January.

This lead to :

1 - A failed change in system.

2 - No recruitment to the 25 man squad - in fact it was reduced from 25 players to 23 !

We stood still before starting a sleepwalk which we badly need to awaken from.

The signs were there before January. We tightened up on defending set pieces which was admirable, but we were almost completely unable to score from open play, and even then it was only through a mistake from the opposition. We scored a few from our own set pieces but this gave us an illusion we were better than we were.

Deep defence is only OK if the full backs get back into position, or we do not lose the ball in our own half. Selective pressing is OK as well. No point chasing passing sides around like blue-arse flies.

I was worried when CH joined that we would lose the ability of the close passing game in favour of long ball percentage play.

i still do not understand why we play two wingers as we can only play on one wing at a time. especially as two of our wingers Knockaert and March are so left footed that opposing defenders know what they are going to do.

I find the CH style of play too rigid, which means it is easier to play and easier to defend against as well.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There was probably over confidence from TB/PB/CH/PW at that time, that our more than decent points tally meant we’d be OK this season. Leaving us this summer with a full new tranche of PL money, to spend in a considered way, rather than in the sellers market of January.

In hindsight, obviously not.

Hughton was never going to say at that point 'I want to spend big but the board wont let me'. Whatever he publicly uttered would have been based on collective responsibility following conversations with Bloom, Barber and Winstanley.

Poyet gets slagged off on here regularly for speaking against the boards position. Now people criticise Hughton for not

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Hughton was never going to say at that point 'I want to spend big but the board wont let me'. Whatever he publicly uttered would have been based on collective responsibility following conversations with Bloom, Barber and Winstanley.

Poyet gets slagged off on here regularly for speaking against the boards position. Now people criticise Hughton for not

I think it's the way that Poyet conducted himself more than anything. The man was like a spoilt kiddie who had been told he couldn't have any sweets. .

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think it's the way that Poyet conducted himself more than anything. The man was like a spoilt kiddie who had been told he couldn't have any sweets. .

I don't disagree. But to expect Hughton to be anything other than polite and respectful is the folly here

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Lack of movement is absolutely infuriating. Players making no effort to find space with a player standing beside them. No wonder we go backwards and sideways so often. The alternative is a 50 percent chance of giving the ball away, over the last three games it must have risen to 70 percent given the lack of effort from some players.

Is this not something the manager should address?

I am staggered so many of you are blaming everyone BUT the manager for shortcomings that have absolutely nothing to do with skill levels. If we don’t do the basics right then of course our players shortcomings will be highlighted.

Agree on the lack of movement

The only pass I saw against Cardiff that showed any intent from defence or CM was 1 disguised pass from dunk to CM when on our own 18 yard line

The basic pass and move seems to have been lost or trained out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree on the lack of movement

The only pass I saw against Cardiff that showed any intent from defence or CM was 1 disguised pass from dunk to CM when on our own 18 yard line

The basic pass and move seems to have been lost or trained out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ made a couple of passes early in the game, before his confidence took a battering, that would have been class if only someone had read them .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here