Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I’ve got a London 5.20 on my cv.......re-tore a calf muscle at Cutty Sark, took 3 x 400mg ibuprofen, got a nice St Johns girl to strap it up and walked the rest.......

Edit - then had 4 months out as the tear ended up as a grade 3. Don’t do it kids [emoji23][emoji23]
Meh - 5.34 from Tenby last September is my contribution.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gutted for you.

Also had a personal worst. Given that was only my second marathon it was always going to be one or the other though. The millstone is still round my neck as I came in at 4.16.16

All on track till around about 19 and a half but still went through 20 in exactly 3 hours. Half a mile before that, though, my old friend cramp attacked my left hamstring. Had to manage it round, initially with a huge gulp of water which then gave me a stitch but was then fine until the power station turn where calf cramp, the other hamstring cramp and that ruddy headwind slowed me to a slow walk.

Made like a granny with walking poles until the peace statue, got a massive bit of encouragement from a mate I wasn't expecting to see and let the crowd take me home at 11 ish pace.

Strangely not that upset. From the first cramp it was about getting home and not letting down REMF. A year's training begins after a week off in Devon.

Do you take any electrolytes on ? I used to get cramp every time, then coach suggested taking salt capsules (whilst taking on a lot of fluid). Barely had it since.........

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was going to offer you my place. I then checked the T&C's and this could only be done via a link on the email confirming my place, which, in a fit of red mist I deleted some while back and cannot retrieve. Sorry!

Ah well [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Just looking for something to kick last night into touch as soon as possible [emoji35][emoji35]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Doesn’t count. I hadn’t swum the channel and cycled halfway across Wales before running.
[emoji23][emoji23]

Ok, in which case it's last year's Moyleman, which was a 5: something...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do you take any electrolytes on ? I used to get cramp every time, then coach suggested taking salt capsules (whilst taking on a lot of fluid). Barely had it since.........

I use SIS electrolyte tablets in my own bottle of water. Same brand as 2016 where I was mostly ok. I'm going to try various brands over the next few months and see how I get on with the hope I hit on one to use in a September half, probably Barnes Green.

Am still toying with the idea of Beachy Head but I'll need to check kids' half term times in case her indoors wants to go away.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I use SIS electrolyte tablets in my own bottle of water. Same brand as 2016 where I was mostly ok. I'm going to try various brands over the next few months and see how I get on with the hope I hit on one to use in a September half, probably Barnes Green.

Am still toying with the idea of Beachy Head but I'll need to check kids' half term times in case her indoors wants to go away.

Try S!Caps.....one an hour on a warm day, less when it’s colder.......

You’ll enjoy Beachy 100x more than Brighton.

Edit - unlikely to cramp too much in a half anyway so that won’t tell you much.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Try S!Caps.....one an hour on a warm day, less when it’s colder.......

You’ll enjoy Beachy 100x more than Brighton.

Edit - unlikely to cramp too much in a half anyway so that won’t tell you much.....

Had cramp in the last mile of Brighton half this year and at the pier (about 300 yards out) the year before. Also got it Worthing 10K last year. Bright10 is the only race in the last year where I've not had it but today was the worst by a very long way.

EDIT - which makes me think it might be my regular diet or day-before race prep as never get it training

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had cramp in the last mile of Brighton half this year and at the pier (about 300 yards out) the year before. Also got it Worthing 10K last year. Bright10 is the only race in the last year where I've not had it but today was the worst by a very long way.

Cramp in a 10k ? Odd..........hamstrings and calves ? Probably sciatic nerve sticking.......get flossing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Cramp in a 10k ? Odd..........hamstrings and calves ? Probably sciatic nerve sticking.......get flossing

Yep always the back of my legs, never the front. Both hamstrings and left calf today, right hamstring in Worthing, both alternately in the half

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well done everyone today. It was really tough out there in that wind. Mrs Simgull was in the medical tent and told me there were a lot of people suffering from hypothermia.
I enjoyed a long day of marshalling- starting around 7 with the bike race - quite terrifying at times to get dozy early morning road crossers to watch out for cyclists coming from the ‘wrong’ direction at speed. Then a short break before the marathon runners came through. Really interesting to watch the full field from elite to the last stragglers.
As ever a great day, pretty incident free and looking forward to next year.

PS a they could really use more volunteers- it was pretty sparse with marshalls in Hove, so if you aren’t running next year, have a think about it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] - gutted for you, the 12 hour event is a mental prospect and not one I'll entertain! But always sad when it doesn't go to plan.

Sorry for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] as well, a real shame for you but even worse for [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] who must have had an serious problem to call it before half way. Shame for [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] as well, but I understand the issue with the final 6 miles in particular! A really tough headwind and it was very sapping. Finally, another glorious 10k from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I'm excited for the inevitable attempt to get back involved with the shorter distance pace races!

So for me, a 3:10:49 today. I'm naturally delighted, I was absolutely booming along without too many cares. I made a massive gaffe at the last minute this morning, adding a pair of ankle socks for additional feet support but the inevitable happened, big toe was rubbing against the one next to it at mile 6 and I didn't want to lose momentum, and it wasn't too bad - so I cracked on. I felt good with the existing concerns I had, hip and achilles heel, but I was struck by fatigue at mile 18 which was my first 7something minute mile since mile 7, I stepped back under the 7 minute mark in mile 19 but then I really felt the pace and mile 23 brought 8 minute miles until the conclusion. I wasn't moving well and I had core problems from mile 21 or so, I thought I was going to vomit at one point but I kept it together. It was a few different abs which were problems at various times and then at Brighton Pier, when I was going to give it some pace, my right hamstring dared me to try. It was enough to really inhibit my movement and I couldn't get going for a sub-3:10. I'll take the time, it's what I wanted and a 19 minute PB. It was my best run in a marathon since my first back in 2015 and it will NOT be my final marathon on 2019. Marathon 9 under my belt, bring on Bournemouth and the sub-3 attempt!

BM2019.JPG

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Well done everyone today. It was really tough out there in that wind. Mrs Simgull was in the medical tent and told me there were a lot of people suffering from hypothermia.
I enjoyed a long day of marshalling- starting around 7 with the bike race - quite terrifying at times to get dozy early morning road crossers to watch out for cyclists coming from the ‘wrong’ direction at speed. Then a short break before the marathon runners came through. Really interesting to watch the full field from elite to the last stragglers.
As ever a great day, pretty incident free and looking forward to next year.

PS a they could really use more volunteers- it was pretty sparse with marshalls in Hove, so if you aren’t running next year, have a think about it.

I'm already in for next year (running) but the year after that I'm going to need a break. The marathon comes past the end of my road so makes sense for me to volunteer to marshall there.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Am still toying with the idea of Beachy Head

:ohmy:

Chin up!

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Well done to everyone that ran today! It looked tough out there, especially with the 'orrible wind on the way in. Hope you all rest up well. Will be checking in after London in a couple of weeks!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I’ll echo that. Zone 1 only had 4 volunteers sign up - and only 2 turn up! Luckily, Preston Park had a few spares and lent us 5 more. Three of our zone managers then went on to zone 4 after we’d finished.

This event needs volunteers. It’s fun and you get a nice hoody as a thank you. Different zones have different timings. Thanks to the bike ride, our volunteers had to start at 6 (5 for us zone managers) this year but could leave by 11 to mosey into town to watch the rest of the event.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here