Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
For me the greater concern is intelligence, and not ID. I’d only allow people who have a basic grasp of politics, demonstrated by passing a test, to be able to vote. I am sure everyone will support my initiative to raise the bar in politics and democracy.

You could really get Germanic and exclude a whole host of people.
Incidentally,do you have to show your papers in the Fatherland to vote? How about referendums?should we have to pass a test to take part in referendums? Who do we get to set the pass mark for the test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

So the obvious conclusion would be to support those ethnic minorities in acquiring photo ID. That would help them take part in and get the most out of society. Are there any organizations doing so ?

Stop talking common sense.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've never understood why this hasn't been brought in before. So easy to commit fraud on a low scale by voting twice, voting on behalf of someone else etc.

You need some form of ID for so many things now from collecting a parcel to visiting the tip, I really don't see why you shouldn't be required to show it when doing something as important as voting.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I've never understood why this hasn't been brought in before. So easy to commit fraud on a low scale by voting twice, voting on behalf of someone else etc.

You need some form of ID for so many things now from collecting a parcel to visiting the tip, I really don't see why you shouldn't be required to show it when doing something as important as voting.

Difficult to vote twice as your name is marked on the electoral roll when you are given your ballot paper.

Risky to try and vote for someone else for the same reason.

Voter ID strikes me as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Until such time that voter fraud is proven to be an issue (in this country), it's much ado about nothing and is simply unnecessary.
Why push for something that solves nothing, unless there are different reasons for doing so? If so, what could they be?

How can you detect voter fraud ?

When anyone can wander into a polling station and give a name and address and vote the system is open for abuse. The polling clerks could be from anywhere and are probably not local.
A whole household's postal votes could be completed by one person and returned.

The question isn't whether there is voter fraud, it is how much.

When people say there is none, or insignificant numbers the problem is we just don't know how much because we can't know..

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Voter ID strikes me as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

quite . . . so being cynical I'd suggest someones looking to generate a lucratrive business opportunity, perhaps funded by the government.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
How can you detect voter fraud ?
When anyone can wander into a polling station and give a name and address and vote the system is open for abuse. The polling clerks could be from anywhere and are probably not local.
A whole household's postal votes could be completed by one person and returned.

The same person wandering into the same polling station repeatedly will get spotted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could really get Germanic and exclude a whole host of people.
Incidentally,do you have to show your papers in the Fatherland to vote? How about referendums?should we have to pass a test to take part in referendums? Who do we get to set the pass mark for the test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s not about exclusion, my examination will be open to all. As I said, it’s about raising standards. Why would you be opposed to this?

Who do we get to set the exam? Maybe The International Baccalaureate? I like them and their values and they’re respected worldwide.

I’ve been thinking about this for some time and I’m good to go with it...I’m only a phone call away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The same person wandering into the same polling station repeatedly will get spotted.

I was watching the Hartlepool by-election and I repeatedly saw the same middle-aged gammon going into the polling centre.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
quite . . . so being cynical I'd suggest someones looking to generate a lucrative business opportunity, perhaps funded by the government.
Not really - the lucrative business opportunity really isn't needed. Most people (though far from all) have either a driving licence or a passport (or both), If the government legislates so that bus passes are, and have to be accepted as, legal ID there won't be a great many left who need a separate card.

Issuing of such ID cards can be handled using existing resources - be it the local authority, the DWP or even the post office, and the technology needed isn't very expensive.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For me the greater concern is intelligence, and not ID. I’d only allow people who have a basic grasp of politics, demonstrated by passing a test, to be able to vote. I am sure everyone will support my initiative to raise the bar in politics and democracy.

Behind the times, this was widespread in the Southern States of America for decades to ensure people were excluded from voting.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
These measures are always designed to prevent people from voting at all. We do not have a voter fraud problem in this country, this is just a naked power grab from a dominant party seeking to cement its position. A disgrace.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
All this fuss about someones mother not having a passport etc. Just register for a postal vote or is that offensive to people on the streets. There are come real snowflakes on here getting offended for other people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here