Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Great news for the scandi-noir fans.

The Danish and French co-production DNA, created by the co-creator of The Killing, is available on SBS On Demand from 11 June.
It stars two greats of European TV and cinema: Nicolas Bro and Charlotte Rampling.

download.jpg

Humbug to lockdowns.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One newbie and one revisit.

I've started Mrs Fletcher - t'is the rather rude tale of an 'empty nest' MILF and her now college bound son who's no longer the alpha in the playground.

I'm finding it rather engaging and I don't think that's just because it's naughty.

I'm back on 30 for 30's, trying to pick a way through the less obvious, Jordan et al, films.
I've just watched Mike & The Mad Dog, which was excellent.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Dark Side of the Ring
It's a documentary series looking into the true story (or as true as you can get from people who have spent years in a business where spin and hype and kayfebe existed), behind some of the most notorious stories and characters in wrestling. Covers things like

The Montreal Screwjob (WWE owner tells ref to ring the bell and declare a winner in a match that the champ thought would end in a draw)
The Von Erichs (a family of wrestlers, many of who had tragic deaths when at the top of their game)
Chris Benoit (his murder suicide of his wife and their kid)
David Shulz and the Slap Heard around the world (wrestler slaps TV interviewer for asking about the pre-determined nature of wrestling)
The Death of Owen Hart (looking into the stunt that went wrong resulting in his death)

Season 2 is currently airing on 'Vice'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
HBO have rebooted Perry Mason in the form of a 1930's origin story.

Matthew Rhys plays the part of Raymond Burr - sorry I mean Perry
He's a down on his luck PI, doing the dirty work.

It's all rather atmospheric.
It's obviously HBO.
There's more than a whiff of LA Confidential about it.

I'll certainly keep watching.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

It's obviously HBO.

I was looking forward to this but found it a bit boring, which is a shame as Matthew Rhys was brilliant in The Americans.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone watched any AppleTV+ programming? I recently had to replace an ipod so got a years free subscription. Can't say anything on there really is drawing me in based on their marketing materials.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

It's obviously HBO.

Big fan of Perry Mason and currently watching the first series from 1957 on CBS crime. Love all the old cars, buildings and the ways and attitudes of the 50's. Watched the first HBO one with eager anticipation, but sadly it's just a dull, barely intelligable bunch of decent actors with names from an old tv series. Violent tosh. I read the reviews and it turned out Mrs Earle and I missed whole swathes of the plot. Doesn't matter, we won't be going back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big fan of Perry Mason and currently watching the first series from 1957 on CBS crime. Love all the old cars, buildings and the ways and attitudes of the 50's. Watched the first HBO one with eager anticipation, but sadly it's just a dull, barely intelligable bunch of decent actors with names from an old tv series. Violent tosh. I read the reviews and it turned out Mrs Earle and I missed whole swathes of the plot. Doesn't matter, we won't be going back.

Yeah as said it's very HBO-y.

But much like [MENTION=20938]GoingUp[/MENTION] I'm a big fan of The Rhys' from The Americans and not adverse to HBO-violent tosh, so am keeping with it despite a dubious arrest, from ep 2!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just finished 'The Last Dance' on Netflix. A 10 part documentary series about the Chicago Bulls in the 90s.

I've never been into basketball, but this series is excellent. Obviously I'd heard how good Michael Jordan was, but having now seen this, I think he might just be the greatest sportsman ever.

10/10.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
A new series of Cardinal, the Canadian crime series, has just literally started on BBC2.

I like it.

The BBC have elevated it from their BBC4 Saturday evening slots.

just finished the final episode, its possibly the best season, shame it was the last one as all 4 seasons have been excellent

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just finished 'The Last Dance' on Netflix. A 10 part documentary series about the Chicago Bulls in the 90s.

I've never been into basketball, but this series is excellent. Obviously I'd heard how good Michael Jordan was, but having now seen this, I think he might just be the greatest sportsman ever.

10/10.

A few of us chatted through 'Dance' on this thread:-

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?367547-NBA-oh-god-no/page8&highlight=basketball

As I've said a few times, it's rekindled my enjoyment of ESPN's 30 for 30 series.

I've watched some great episodes, recently:-

Mike & The Mad Dog - The birth of Sports Radio.
John Daly - eye opening.
George Best - Nothing new to us, obviously, but still so well told.
Carter Football - The two extreme sides of High School 'celebrity'.
Jimmy The Greek - Sports betting with a John Mac OTT character.
Matt Hoffman - The birth of big air
Eddie Aikau - Surfer/Lifeguard, a very effecting watch.

Somewhat frustratingly I cannot find Alex Gibney's Catching Hell - Steve Bartman film.
Gonna have to look into paying for it. :down:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Just seen 'Yellowstone' is finally on demand, Ive been waiting this to come back on since I missed it first time around.

Annoyingly it seems episodes 5, 8 and 9 are not available ???

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

10/10.

There was some blowback on that a month or so ago, as apparently Jordan's own production company was involved. I was put off by this, assuming it'd be a one-sided 'aren't I great' affair, but then again, I've read nothing since that doesn't praise it to the skies. Thanks for the reminder.

On a more fantastical note, I finished "11.22.63" today, from the Stephen King story about preventing JFK's assassination - not a spoiler, we get to the plot's nuts and bolts in about 5 minutes of the first episode. A typically interesting King yarn, and a very decent unchallenging ride that I found rather affecting; James Franco stars, and he's really grown on me recently, he has that 'everyman' quality, a sort of small screen Tom Cruise or Mark Wahlberg. Also in the same way that you either like him or hate him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here