Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] musicMagpie

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have only bought from them and they are nearly always the cheapest on Ebay. Every cd has been in excellent to new condition. Quick delivery and postage is included in the cost too. Not surprised to hear they offer peanuts when buying.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not entirely true, unless they all in almost perfect condition. My wife has been volunteering in a charity shop for a few hours a week recently and its opened our eyes. You will be amazed by the amount of stuff that gets chucked out due to minor damage.
So maybe they should be sending it to musicMagpie

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Been using this since the 90s.
The value can be poor, but it does work.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Absolute rip-off. Spend the time to sell them yourself. eBay, Facebook selling pages, etc will be worth it in the end. The allure of getting an instant payment quick and easy really isn’t worth it when you get a fraction of the resale value of your items. Same goes to shops like CEX on the highstreet, they have to undercut to make it worthwhile for them.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Some people are too busy, can't be arsed - or value their time at more than this route could return them.

If you value your time, you’ll value your hard earned cash that purchased an item for full price, only to sell it on for peanuts. It takes minutes to list an item on eBay. You asked how these companies make money, they do so by ripping people off.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not entirely true, unless they all in almost perfect condition. My wife has been volunteering in a charity shop for a few hours a week recently and its opened our eyes. You will be amazed by the amount of stuff that gets chucked out due to minor damage.

As you well know, there are a lot of charity shops in Bexhill.
Some more salubrious than others.
We give all our unwanted stuff to Sue Ryder, knowing that we're doing something right in them getting some sort of tax relief.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Absolute rip-off. Spend the time to sell them yourself. eBay, Facebook selling pages, etc will be worth it in the end.

Some people feel their time is more valuable to them than earning a nominally small extra amount of money. I am one of them. Without wanting to sound like an arrogant knob, the amount I charge my time out at work means that it wouldn't be even worth an extra 5-10 mins of my time doing all the faffy bits. I'd rather just declutter, if I get a bit of money that's a bonus.

I don't even really see it as undercutting as they are effectively performing certain parts of the service that I can't be arsed to - i.e. individually listing etc.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Well that's another story isn't it - There are people who think "I've got a pile of old sh**e, I'll dump it at the charity shop", probably beats fly tipping, just.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Some people feel their time is more valuable to them than earning a nominally small extra amount of money. I am one of them. Without wanting to sound like an arrogant knob, the amount I charge my time out at work means that it wouldn't be even worth an extra 5-10 mins of my time doing all the faffy bits. I'd rather just declutter, if I get a bit of money that's a bonus.

I don't even really see it as undercutting as they are effectively performing certain parts of the service that I can't be arsed to - i.e. individually listing etc.
The time it takes you to list and send items to MusicMagpie could’ve been spent selling the items yourself. Listing something (using this example again) on eBay takes minutes. Sending said items through the post isn’t extra faff, you’d do the same with MusicMagpie! Just did a hypothetical search, MM would buy my iPhone 7 Plus for £230 IF it’s in perfect condition with all original parts (including charger, etc). That’s undercutting its retail value by £330. I can sell my phone in its current condition secondhand for at least £300!

These companies can only exist by exploiting people. That’s how I see it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The time it takes you to list and send items to MusicMagpie could’ve been spent selling the items yourself. Listing something (using this example again) on eBay takes minutes. Sending said items through the post isn’t extra faff, you’d do the same with MusicMagpie! Just did a hypothetical search, MM would buy my iPhone 7 Plus for £230 IF it’s in perfect condition with all original parts (including charger, etc). That’s undercutting its retail value by £330. I can sell my phone in its current condition secondhand for at least £300!

You send all of your items as a job lot to MusicMagpie, and they provide you with the S.A.E. to send it in. It's far, far less time consuming than individually listing, selling, packing and shipping hundreds of CDs/DVDs etc. It's not even close.

We seem to be at cross purposes anyway. With one high ticket item - such as a phone - I agree with you. I'm talking about joblots, 100s of CDs or DVDs - as it appears is the OP, and practically everyone else who has used them here and been satisfied with the service - where the difference is pennies.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well that's another story isn't it - There are people who think "I've got a pile of old sh**e, I'll dump it at the charity shop", probably beats fly tipping, just.

In most cases they don't even wait until its open they just dump it in the doorway and drive home, its fly tipping without the mattresses, washing machines and builders rubble

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Ignoring your one off phone sale which would of course be more profitable to sell yourself rather than through MM, but you cannot in anyway convince me that if you had 500 cd's you would make a higher rate of return per hour by selling on ebay.

Scan and box 500 CD's, print out packing list, print out and attach postal details, delivery box to collection point and home in what 90 minutes. ALL 500 sell at say 30p each that's £150 or £100 per hour. There is no way you can make £100 an hour selling the same 500 CD's on ebay yourself.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach

Some people don't want to buy my rubbish.....these companies do.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I've never sold to them, but I have bought a fair few items through their eBay outlet. Very good - prices are decent, and the quality has always been excellent. Very fast shipping too.

Jul 7, 2003
Stick a list on here - maybe you'll sell a few

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here