Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Eurostar to Amsterdam

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
20 minutes flight????? What are you flying with? Concorde? The Space Shuttle?

Precisely what I was thinking. The shortest flight on that route I've ever experienced was 35 minutes. And that doesn't include the taxiing between terminal and runway at either end.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
for a large catchment area in London and the South East, Eurostar will be quicker ... despite what some on here have said.

And much lower carbon footprint, too. Some of us are still trying to take climate change into account ...

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Oh 15 mins out, still quicker and cheaper to fly!!

The fastest scheduled flight time I can find is 1 hour 15 minutes! Some are 1 hour 25 mins. When flying you simply can’t just calculate the actual time in the air. You have include the taxi-ing time from terminal to runway and vice versa. Then add the time before departure you have to be at the airport. For many the train will be quicker and, in my opinion, far more comfortable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The fastest scheduled flight time I can find is 1 hour 15 minutes! Some are 1 hour 25 mins. When flying you simply can’t just calculate the actual time in the air. You have include the taxi-ing time from terminal to runway and vice versa. Then add the time before departure you have to be at the airport. For many the train will be quicker and, in my opinion, far more comfortable.

It’s 60 mins. They always schedule longer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It’s 60 mins. They always schedule longer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure what's new here. You could always Eurostar to Brussels and then get a further train to Amsterdam. :shrug:

I went to Amsterdam by train a couple of years ago. It was very pleasant but there were nearly six hours between my train arriving at Brussels and leaving for Amsterdam. I didn't mind so much as I'd never seen Brussels and this was in work time but if you're going away for a weekend, there's a hell of a lot of difference between a journey that takes three hours and one that takes nine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I were based in central London I'd much prefer to jump on a train there that would whisk me to straight into central Amsterdam than have to go through the hassles of two airports, as well as getting to the first airport and away from the second.

Also, as [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] says, being on a train, in comfort, provides far greater opportunity to work, if you need to, than a flight (and surrounding faffing) would. For some reason I've always been more productive on trains than almost anywhere else.

However, when you're starting from the Sussex coast and also have to factor the time to get up to the Eurostar, not to mention the expense of the journey from here, a flight from Gatwick is likely to be the winner most of the time.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
On a recent trip to Paris on Eurostar I found the queues to get through the ticket inspection and passport control long, the waiting rooms afterwards were overcrowded and the whole experience no better and probably worse than going through an airport. I do like a train ride though.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Way better for the environment
More relaxed
Comparable price if you book in advance
Brussels is marvellous

Of all the miseries of leaving Amsterdam, the wait for the last flight back on a Sunday afternoon is by far the most glum-inducing. Plus if you're ground-hopping you could time it to see games in Belgique and Oranje

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Don't forget the walk from the stand to outside the airport/train station, blooming miles!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Until we pull up the drawbridge presumably? :(

I think you'll fund it's a drawTUNNEL.

I ruddy love going on Eurostar. I've taken it to Brussels a few times and it's such a pleasant experience compared to the hassle of going through airports and sitting in a cramped plane.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Longer travelling time, but you're cutting out the faff of the airports at either end, AND it'll take you directly to the central station in Amsterdam, rather than having to get a train from Schipol airport to the city centre. Winning.

Train rides are fun too for seeing the country. I did an 8 hour trip on an Amtrak jobbie from Minneapolis to Chicago a couple of years ago and loved it, seeing the American Midwest whizzing past. Infinitely preferable to a flight, if you have the time.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Really not much in it time-wise, especially since you'll presumably be in the centre of Amsterdam rather than having to get public transport in from the airport.

Have done Eurostar 3 times and bloody loved it. Even if the Eurostar was £20 more expensive, I'd go for that any day. To get on a train in the middle of London, and waltz off and be in the centre of a European City 2-3 hours later is ruddy marvelous.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Longer travelling time, but you're cutting out the faff of the airports at either end, AND it'll take you directly to the central station in Amsterdam, rather than having to get a train from Schipol airport to the city centre. Winning.

Aye, saves a cool 11 Euros on train from airport as well

Plus you could get properly pissed on the train without all the confined weirdness and guilt of plane squiffiness

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here