Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are the shackles off or is this a false dawn

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You just have to look at Davy Pröpper, he now looks every bit the classy Dutch international that we hoped he was. He’s playing with his head up FACING the the opposition rather than head down looking backwards. He’s integral to all that we do and I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t bag 5 or 6 goals this season.
I’ll also give a huge nod to Dale Stephens too, he looks every bit the box to box midfielder that performed so well with Kayal in the Championship.

Fine words sir.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's been a fairly gentle introduction to the season proper, to be objective for a minute. Real confidence booster. Saints game promises to be more of the same. Sun is shining, weather is sweet. Nothing to dislike whatsoever. Strange daze indeed when we barely discuss two soft fluffed chances that cost us two points. Says a huge amount about the positives. There even seemed to be far few early leavers. What a time it is to be alive and be an Albion fan! :lol: :albion:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
We'll never know, unless we were in the dressing room (and I assume no-one on here was). Did he actually brief them, "Right lads, get out there and huddle round the penalty area and six yard box like frightened sheep encircled by a pack of ravening wolves" or did he say, "Keep you shape, but FFS try defending a little further upfield and move forward faster to support attacks when we have the ball in their half"?
The fact that they did huddle round the six yard box like frightened sheep may not have actually been what they were briefed to do.

Anyway, this thread was obviously set up to gratify those who want a bit more CH bashing, who would like us to believe they were calling 'Hughton out' on here long before Uncle Tony got his long knife out, so just for balance (and not for personal conviction - I personally think Potter is doing a good job, and hope he continues to do so) I'll give you three words:

New. Manager. Bounce.

are you implying that hewts had lost the dressing room?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Apparently nothing to do with our performances.
Watford played badly.
West Ham played badly.
Let's hope this continues all season.

Really? After last week the pundits were all over how well we played and Potter's style of football, etc

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's been a fairly gentle introduction to the season proper, to be objective for a minute. Real confidence booster. Saints game promises to be more of the same. Sun is shining, weather is sweet. Nothing to dislike whatsoever. Strange daze indeed when we barely discuss two soft fluffed chances that cost us two points. Says a huge amount about the positives. There even seemed to be far few early leavers. What a time it is to be alive and be an Albion fan! :lol: :albion:

Redeemed :wink:

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Shackles are off, it was brilliant to see their box filled with our players. Trossard impressed, both well taken goals. Shame we were unfortunate to fall victim to VAR. it was the correct decision, my only beef was how long play continued after before a decision was made. Nonetheless, my only concern was their throw ball for their goal. Shame it happened. But my word it’s enjoyable to watch us play at the moment. Heaped praise on final score who felt a draw was harsh on us. Nonetheless, Maupay and Trossard have both scored delicious goals, reckon these two will be big for us.

Very happy with progress so far. We will lose some, but I think we’ll be fine.

We have more dynamism than Norwich. Pukki is a a superb player, will score them plenty. They’re just going to be pretty 1 dimensional, so I can see Norwich doing well this season and Sheffield, Newcastle and Villa to struggle.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
A comment that we saw regularly on here last year, which I completely agreed with, is that if you keep doing the same things then you will get the same results. Sadly that was exactly what was happening and I think GP’s tactics now with the same group of players is highlighting to me the limitations CH had with his tactical knowledge and this was masked by him telling everyone week on week how strong the other teams are and continually suggesting that we were always punching above our weight. GP has come in and is already showing that he has completely changed the mindset of the players not to mention the tactics. He is so far getting a much better tune out of the same players CH had at his disposal. So for me, while I will always hold CH in high regard for what he achieved for our club, the time was right to change and that change has completely lifted what was a thickening cloud developing over our team and the perception of us by the media and other fans. I don’t think it’s a case of the shackles being off, we are now evolving as a team due to the change and the future is now looking far brighter and long may that continue. It felt like a chore at times last season going to watch us play but now the pleasure and excitement has well and truly returned and I have the appointment of GP to thank for that. UTA !

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yup, happy to confirm I still think talk of shackles off is complete BS. It's an insult to CH. A number of players under-performed chronically last season

A large number of players were under-coached last season and by January looked totally de-motivated. Watch Dunk's 2 videos on the club website. He doesn't have a dig at Hughton, however, he suggests that all of the players are enjoying themselves. Something missing last season.

Sorry, but for me the shackles have been taken off. West Ham had a corner and Maupay was left on the halfway line. Last season we were lucky to get that high upfield when WE had the ball.

Not an insult towards the man but for me Hughton is now a member of the dinosaur club of managers.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There's been some real pace injected with the introduction of Trossard, a real gem. Maupay will more than, er, maupay his way. Dan Burn's been something of a gawky revelation. And AJ and Big Jurg appear to be rightly sidelined. So no, I don't believe it's a false dawn. But neither do I believe in that shackles guff.
Explain the performance at Watford then. The starting 11 had no new players, 2 subs on at around 65 minutes. Hughton's squad ran Watford ragged under the tutelage of Potter, Reid and Hamberg.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Explain the performance at Watford then. The starting 11 had no new players, 2 subs on at around 65 minutes. Hughton's squad ran Watford ragged under the tutelage of Potter, Reid and Hamberg.

Bet you didn’t feel that way when we beat Man Utd.

Watford were shocking. West Ham was a fairer indication of where we are.

Trossard and Maupay already look better signings than the hand Hughton was dealt.

More attacking? Yes, but potentially leads to different issues, which West Ham exploited on their goal.

But, two good games so far and lots of promise....

If we really have to compare, I like that Potter uses his subs earlier than Hughton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That’s debatable for starters
Explain the transformation then for those of us who don't wish Hughton was still at the club.

I was at Watford and at The Amex yesterday. Pröpper, Stephens, Montoya and March are unrecognisable from last season. Burn is actually in the team and our new signings (except Webster) have all featured and it's only our second game.

Vive le révolution.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Come back after ten games and then we can ALL choose whichever game we want to 'prove' whatever point we want to make to back up our viewpoint. Watford away was a damn fine win, no two ways about it. But to use it to attempt to beat up CH is IMHO pretty pathetic. What if ManU beat us at the Amex this season? Potter OUT? :dunce:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They under performed because they were shackled. There was only plan A, defend in depth and hope for a breakaway, which if it happened resulted in in depth defending for the rest of the game.

Very effective for two seasons as it happens.

Just the latter part it was poor.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very effective for two seasons as it happens.

Just the latter part it was poor.

Yep, credit it where it’s due but every team in the latter part of last season seemed to have a manager who outthought CH in tactics :shrug:

The time for change was right imo, that does not take away from what CH did for us for all but the last few months of his tenure. Yes we could have used his record in the previous 4 years to stick with him but this is a cruel business with no room for sentiment. CH, rightly, never showed it to players he did not think were up to it so it cuts both ways.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The shackles are OFF !!!!

:albion2:

And the 'Boooo List' is getting a lot shorter now but there are still 11 players who haven't had meaningful minutes on the pitch yet.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
If you're not enjoying this, then you simply don't like football.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Explain the transformation then for those of us who don't wish Hughton was still at the club.

I was at Watford and at The Amex yesterday. Pröpper, Stephens, Montoya and March are unrecognisable from last season. Burn is actually in the team and our new signings (except Webster) have all featured and it's only our second game.

Vive le révolution.

It’s all been answered..still it’s a pleasant change to see you so optimistic:thumbsup:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It’s all been answered..still it’s a pleasant change to see you so optimistic[emoji106]
My shackles are off too

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here