Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having just returned fro Eastern Europe I can tell you that the overwhelming view there is “good for you”

Ah, you spoke to a couple of people in the bar and they said "Good for you" so therefore most east Europeans are anti-EU.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, a Kantar survey on support for the EU found the following percentages wished to remain in the EU

European Union Membership Referendum

% Remain

Ireland 91%
Netherlands 91%
Sweden 89%
Spain 88%
Germany 89%
Belgium 87%
Portugal 92%
Greece 75%
Bulgaria 83%
France 74%
Estonia 89%
Slovakia 86%

Italy 72%
Hungary 81%
Denmark 86%
Poland 89%
Romania 89%

East European countries marked in bold

In July, a Eurobarometer found that not a single country (including the EU) thought the disadvantages of the EU outweighed the benefits. The UK had the lowest support with 60% thought the EU, on the whole, was a good thing while 30% didn't.
Of the east European countries, only Czech Rep and Romania had below 66%.

There are no signs whatsoever of any EU country wanting to go down the UK route. The only country that's making noises in that direction is Italy - and even there, there's a split in the coalition between Lega and M5S

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Ah, you spoke to a couple of people in the bar and they said "Good for you" so therefore most east Europeans are anti-EU.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, a Kantar survey on support for the EU found the following percentages wished to remain in the EU

% Remain

Ireland 91%
Netherlands 91%
Sweden 89%
Spain 88%
Germany 89%
Belgium 87%
Portugal 92%
Greece 75%
Bulgaria 83%
France 74%
Estonia 89%
Slovakia 86%

Italy 72%
Hungary 81%
Denmark 86%
Poland 89%
Romania 89%

In July, a Eurobarometer found that not a single country (including the EU) thought the disadvantages of the EU outweighed the benefits. The UK had the lowest support with 60% thought the EU, on the whole, was a good thing while 30% didn't.

There are no signs whatsoever of any EU country wanting to go down the UK route. The only country that's making noises in that direction is Italy - and even there, there's a split in the coalition between Lega and M5S

All great but, by referendum, we DONT!

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

% Remain

Ireland 91%
Netherlands 91%
Sweden 89%
Spain 88%
Germany 89%
Belgium 87%
Portugal 92%
Greece 75%
Bulgaria 83%
France 74%
Estonia 89%
Slovakia 86%

Italy 72%
Hungary 81%
Denmark 86%
Poland 89%
Romania 89%

How many of those countries if given the vote would remain though?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
UK 'first in line' for US trade deal, says John Bolton...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49325620

Take a careful read.

Only the learned among you, whether 'leave' or 'remain', will see the thinly veiled hot poker behind his back ready to shove up our arses.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Take a careful read.

Only the learned among you, whether 'leave' or 'remain', will see the thinly veiled hot poker behind his back ready to shove up our arses.....
Trump is under some pressure himself now thanks to his trade war with China... He would love to see a good deal for America making the headlines for a change.... Obviously a " good deal " for America would mean that we get the crap end of a deal, but this is how desperate the Brexiteers are for any deal.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Take a careful read.

Indeed. I was going to say that the Devil resides in the details. But in fact he seems to be in the White House right now. The Johnson-Trump axis is something scary to behold: let ego-maniac bullshitter speak unto ego-maniac bullshitter! From FDR and Churchill has the special relationship really come to this?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I see from my notifications that you have been trying to get my attention all afternoon, even though I haven't been on NSC since early last night apart from a minute on my phone this morning. I am sorry, but I've been out, have had things to do and have just logged on :shrug:

So the post that you are referring to is

I've asked for examples of this Franco-German domination over the rest of the EU from [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=20840]The Rivet[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION]. On each occasion, I posted the question in an immediate answer to the post they had just made supporting this idea of a Franco-German domination over the other EU members and (AFAIK) they remained logged on for some period after the question was asked, didn't answer and then later logged out, and still haven't answered days later. (A little different to randomly posting during the day when I'm not online and then repeating the posts a couple of hours later because I hadn't replied.)

Anyway, since you want to answer so much on behalf of your associates (and they seem unable to), maybe you could give an example of the 'Franco-German Alliance' dominating the rest of the EU ???

Yet you moan when others log off and go and do.something else. Those in glasshouses etc !

So you admit not a single.person said France and Germany 'overuled' the other members ? Good, you're coming back to reality ... at least for a while anyway. France and Germany do dominate the EU ..... and for the evidence I refer you back to iPlayer which I assume you still haven't bothered to watch.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Did I, did I really? As for Germany and France being the main players Ursula von der leyen new leader a very close ally of Merkel. Democratically selected behind closed doors then voted in by the eu parliament. Only just I believe. Then you have lagarde the economic main player. Germany and France the main players? No of course not. Just a coincidence Merkel got her ally in power, purely coincidental.

It's just as well because I was getting completely fed up of the Luxembourg/Italian Domination of the EU by Jean-Claude Juncker and Mario Draghi, prioritising Italy and Luxembourg over all other EU members for the last 5 years. The way they used their domination to get their people democratically elected into power was outrageous :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yet you moan when others log off and go and do.something else. Those in glasshouses etc !

So you admit not a single.person said France and Germany 'overuled' the other members ? Good, you're coming back to reality ... at least for a while anyway. France and Germany do dominate the EU ..... and for the evidence I refer you back to iPlayer which I assume you still haven't bothered to watch.

Welcome back. I watched that when it first aired, and it really wasn't surprising that the power within the EU relates to the size of their economies and populations hence Germany, Britain, France, Italy, Spain etc etc as the largest economies in the EU have more power. Look at the distribution of seats in the EU parliament and you may see a similar distribution. I wonder why that may be ? (Although if your quota of MEPs can't be arsed to turn up and vote, you may not be using your power efficiently :facepalm:)

But I will repeat the quote again

'More of the same' as in no idea what the future direction of the EU will take but certain it will be dominated by the Franco-German alliance prioritising the Eurozone and ever closer union over the interests of any second-tier members (see the UK). If remainers didn't understand this perhaps they shouldn't have voted. Quite a gamble ....

And you know all about Britain's powers to stop any supposed 'Franco-German domination of the EU' as you were saying you didn't trust the British Government to use them or not get rid of them.

I agree, as things stand, any changes would have to go to referendum but this act can be revoked by any government - lets say, heaven forbid, the Lib Dems managed to form a government in their own right ( unlikely I know ! ) - I wouldn't trust them not to revoke it. Equally, lets say one of these referendums was held - how can we trust a government to abide by it ?

You really do go round and round in circles :shrug:

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Trump is under some pressure himself now thanks to his trade war with China... He would love to see a good deal for America making the headlines for a change.... Obviously a " good deal " for America would mean that we get the crap end of a deal, but this is how desperate the Brexiteers are for any deal.

Trump hates the EU, and its exacerbated by the tax thing with American companies (EU being nasty, and making them pay proper taxes) , not to mention, its big competition to the US. Im sure we would get a great deal haha. Leavers will be building paddocks for their unicorns with this news.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm off out for a few hours :wave:

(Just in case anyone is going to quote/mention/pm me and then get upset when I don't answer :wink:)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Take a careful read.

Obviously America would love to weaken the EU as its a major competitor to US dominance. So they are certainly going to be encouraging No Deal by offering us some kind of quick deal in the aftermath, one which will probably just focus on the simple, uncontroversial stuff.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Unemployment up 33,000 in last three months. That 0.2% contraction will only get worse. These things tend to snowball until a bailout (see 2009).

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here