Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Not that confident of either getting Potter or him being the man for the job, but maybe we could get Daniel James on loan from Utd for the season when he inevitably signs for them.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Seems we are all as divided as we have been for the last 3 months. The Hughton outs are pleased the Hughton Ins are gutted

L’il old Brighton now seen as villains in the media too

I think we may have lost some goodwill outside of Brighton but do you know what **** em.

It is going to interesting and glorious or interesting and disastrous, but at least it’s going to be interesting...

I don’t feel particularly divided at the moment. I was a Hughton ‘in’ and I am sad that Chris is gone, plus I think the fact some are quick to dismiss him is incredibly disrespectful for everything he has done for us. However, I also am not afraid to admit that numbers don’t lie and the ones at the end of this season we’re not encouraging for our prospects next one. Chris is a good man and a solid manager but he has his faults, my main criticism is that he seemed to take the stance of ‘We’ll do what’s enough’ at times when we really shouldn’t be assuming that what we have done is ‘enough’. It caught us out with Newcastle for the championship title and it nearly caught us out against Cardiff. I’m not saying that we should be reckless, but we were too complacent at times when teams around us were pushing harder and playing better.

I am a little cynical of the club going for Potter, because I think attacking football is hard to pull off and Potter’s still unproven on the EPL level, whether he has the tactics (and the team has the quality) remains to be seen. Saying that, I commend the club for trying something different and the thing about Tony is that he’s made a considerable fortune on taking measured risks.

Neutrals are fickle and the media will spin a story that sells, but as we have seen, even some of the more disinterested pundits such as Wright have understood what we are doing. You’re going to have the rabid idiots who think in black and white but I think those who even paid the slightest amount of attention at least appreciated what was going on, even if they agreed/disagreed.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well to start I wouldn’t have sacked Chris without a replacement lined up.
You can't do that, unless you're after an out of work manager.
But as I say you get rid of a manager and one who has got you into the premier league and kept you there, you need to make sure if you get rid of them, you get someone better, and that’s my point, no one can honestly say Potter is better.
If the club want to appoint him, then they clearly think he is better.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don’t feel particularly divided at the moment. I was a Hughton ‘in’ and I am sad that Chris is gone, plus I think the fact some are quick to dismiss him is incredibly disrespectful for everything he has done for us. However, I also am not afraid to admit that numbers don’t lie and the ones at the end of this season we’re not encouraging for our prospects next one. Chris is a good man and a solid manager but he has his faults, my main criticism is that he seemed to take the stance of ‘We’ll do what’s enough’ at times when we really shouldn’t be assuming that what we have done is ‘enough’. It caught us out with Newcastle for the championship title and it nearly caught us out against Cardiff. I’m not saying that we should be reckless, but we were too complacent at times when teams around us were pushing harder and playing better.

I am a little cynical of the club going for Potter, because I think attacking football is hard to pull off and Potter’s still unproven on the EPL level, whether he has the tactics (and the team has the quality) remains to be seen. Saying that, I commend the club for trying something different and the thing about Tony is that he’s made a considerable fortune on taking measured risks.

Neutrals are fickle and the media will spin a story that sells, but as we have seen, even some of the more disinterested pundits such as Wright have understood what we are doing. You’re going to have the rabid idiots who think in black and white but I think most even who even paid the slightest amount of attention knows what was up.

That just about sums up my feelings on the whole thing. was definitely a Hughton in person, but can understand the Hughton out position. I mainly thought that TB would stick with it, but respect him and the way the club is run enough to go along with the decision.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
...... and now Swansea have rejected our request to talk to him.

So where do we go from here? It looks as if we can only get him if he engineers a move, r3esigns or whatever. In that case, would we really want a manager who jumps ship when a better offer comes along? Whether you were Hughton in or Hughton out, their was something right about the fit between CH and Brighton.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Potter apparently wants to bring Dan James to Albion according to Teamtalk
Does Teamtalk have a reputation for getting scoops and inside information, or simply making up 'exclusives'? It's an easy story to make up, he's already been linked with moves to the PL, so it wouldn't be a surprise if his manager would still want him.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
You can't do that, unless you're after an out of work manager.
If the club want to appoint him, then they clearly think he is better.

Like they did with Hyypia another untested manager? Now is not the time for experimenting. At least Chris had a good record in getting teams up and he can also add keeping them up to his CV. I’m prepared to stick my neck out and say by Christmas we will be regretting what we wished for. No one can deny the poor season we have had, some down to tactics and you also have to look at the players we have got in. AJ, Andone and Locadia have not performed add to that Gross having a poor season and Izquierdo being out, it’s no wonder we haven’t pushed on. Still happy for you to bounce anytime next season if Potter gets the job. I’m hopeful that the club has set it sights higher. Just also remember when you say you trust the club, they have also been responsible for buying in the players we have. AJ what a season he has had.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Neutrals are fickle and the media will spin a story that sells, but as we have seen, even some of the more disinterested pundits such as Wright have understood what we are doing. You’re going to have the rabid idiots who think in black and white but I think those who even paid the slightest amount of attention at least appreciated what was going on, even if they agreed/disagreed.

This, good post, just about sums up where I am at the moment.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Does Teamtalk have a reputation for getting scoops and inside information, or simply making up 'exclusives'? It's an easy story to make up, he's already been linked with moves to the PL, so it wouldn't be a surprise if his manager would still want him.

How can it be anything other than made up when we haven’t even spoken to Potter yet let alone given him the job.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...... and now Swansea have rejected our request to talk to him.

So where do we go from here? It looks as if we can only get him if he engineers a move, r3esigns or whatever. In that case, would we really want a manager who jumps ship when a better offer comes along? Whether you were Hughton in or Hughton out, their was something right about the fit between CH and Brighton.

That's yesterday's news, which you'll see if you scroll up a few pages.

It's just about money and us meeting their valuation.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I hope we can improve on CH. Someone with a better CV.

if Swansea wont allow it then I really believe it will be a blessing in disguise

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
my main criticism is that he seemed to take the stance of ‘We’ll do what’s enough’ at times when we really shouldn’t be assuming that what we have done is ‘enough’. It caught us out with Newcastle for the championship title and it nearly caught us out against Cardiff.
Sorry, but that's nonsense. We weren't expecting to win the Championship, but we got 7 points (I think) ahead of Newcastle with 3 games left - the idea that Chris then didn't try to win the remaining games, because we'd done enough, is ludicrous. Likewise we did more than enough last season, and we were on target to improve this season. We changed the way we played (an attempt to improve) and with injuries to the likes of Gross and Izquierdo, and some bad luck on the pitch, it all went wrong. In the end we were close to relegation, but to surmise that that was a result of only wanting to do 'enough' is again, ludicrous.

Agreed.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Very good post and my sentiments entirely.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's yesterday's news, which you'll see if you scroll up a few pages.

It's just about money and us meeting their valuation.
Sorry, I was going with the five minutes ago news on SSN.

Edit: Update - SSN are now reporting it will cost us £2M (release clause). Should be better value than Locadia, then. Personally think we'd still look a bit silly if Potter turns us down anyway - wonder how this will turn out.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The way I see it with Potter, he is inexperienced at the highest level, so there's a risk.... But clearly his potential is there for all to see... We could wait for him to get experience elsewhere first, to prove himself, but then a bigger club than us would get him, we'd miss out. So there is also a risk in not signing him

So if Potter is actually a football genius, the only way we can get him is by taking a chance now. And if he isn't, we get rid. Have big sam keep us up, and go again next summer.

I guess I'm excited by bloom trying to get an unproven star.... It worked with poyet, not with hyypia, but we are trying again.... we've sacked the safe pair of hands, so not point just getting another one like that

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yep

Nobody should be 'pleased' such an honourable man lost his job.

Maybe this has already been pointed out? But......

I actually expected CH to be given at least until Xmas so I was very surprised about Monday morning. He is an honourable chap, a gent of the game. But he was fired.

Having lost his job his complete contract will be paid up, 2 or 3 years wages, whatever the contract says. The football world has great respect for him and a Championship, or maybe even another Prem side will snap him up. Financially he will actually be better off. So although this may have knocked the wind out of him, let us not feel TOO sorry for him. He knows the ‘rules’ of football management and was happy to play by them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like they did with Hyypia another untested manager?
Yes.

Now is not the time for experimenting.
It seems the club disagree with you.
At least Chris had a good record in getting teams up and he can also add keeping them up to his CV. I’m prepared to stick my neck out and say by Christmas we will be regretting what we wished for.
Well I certainly didn't wish for it, and I'm also concerned that the club will regret the decision, but the decision's been made, so I'm ready to support whomever the club appoint.

Just also remember when you say you trust the club, they have also been responsible for buying in the players we have. AJ what a season he has had.
I'm not prepared to write-off AJ yet, let's see how he does with a new manager and new formation. Regardless of whether he succeeds or not, even the best clubs make poor signings sometimes. Obviously Tony is in a better place to know whether this is the right thing to do than we are. Of course it's a gamble. Sticking with Hughton would also have been a gamble. I'll just hope it works out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe this has already been pointed out? But......

I actually expected CH to be given at least until Xmas so I was very surprised about Monday morning. He is an honourable chap, a gent of the game. But he was fired.

Having lost his job his complete contract will be paid up, 2 or 3 years wages, whatever the contract says. The football world has great respect for him and a Championship, or maybe even another Prem side will snap him up. Financially he will actually be better off. So although this may have knocked the wind out of him, let us not feel TOO sorry for him. He knows the ‘rules’ of football management and was happy to play by them.
I always thought contract 'pay ups' are just continued monthly salary payments - minus earnings from any future job ?

Might be wrong on that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here