Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] North Stand boo boys

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You don’t know, it might just have had the desired effect - we scored after all. But I really think it’s no big deal if fans did, rather extreme circumstances what with it being the worst attacking side in 119 years and we were going down without so much as a whimper.

And you think being booed off galvanised them into action?

There have been countless times this season when we have been abysmal first half, followed by a different performance second.

I just don’t see how booing helps - put yourself in the players position, you have a bad day at work and a bunch of random strangers, invited in by the boss, stand behind you and boo your work. I am fairly sure it wouldn’t make you think “damn, I must try harder to be better at my job”, more likely “**** you”...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ha ha, yes a very good question! You’re right about other countries too. Remember in Italy a top team like Florentina were ‘visited’ at their Training Ground by Fan leaders - and made to sit and listen. Security were too scarred to turn them away. Imagine that happening here?!! Is it time to send in the Albion Roar or NSK? punish:

No, as now you sound like a pathetic Palace ultra wannabe (I know you were joking).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

There have been countless times this season when we have been abysmal first half, followed by a different performance second.

I just don’t see how booing helps - put yourself in the players position, you have a bad day at work and a bunch of random strangers, invited in by the boss, stand behind you and boo your work. I am fairly sure it wouldn’t make you think “damn, I must try harder to be better at my job”, more likely “**** you”...

I’m not condoning, just I can understand why some did in fairly extraordinary circumstances. And we don’t know, it might have helped. Sometimes a massive kick up the backside like that does have the desired effect.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Wouldn't boo myself, though can sort of understand how some do out of frustration.

What really gets my goat though are the people who just keep up a constant diatribe of abuse at our players every time things don't go perfectly, eg a misplaced pass, a shot over the bar, someone gets beaten to the ball, a player isn't where they think he should be etc etc etc. We have a few behind us in the North.

Yes, I know the last few months have been frustrating, depressing and painful to watch most of the time, but

1 If you think a torrent of abuse helps them play better, you're wrong
2 It makes you look like a sulky child, constantly throwing your toys out of the pram as if the team's performance is deliberately intended to INSULT you
3 It does make the rest of wonder if you're actually a fan who SUPPORTS the team, or we're just an unsuccessful part of your anger management course

(minor) rant over. Suspect I'm not the only one who feels like this :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was in the bar so missed the half time boos, but I'm generally not a fan of booing the team during a game. Hyypia v Millwall of course being the exception.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wouldn't boo myself, though can sort of understand how some do out of frustration.

What really gets my goat though are the people who just keep up a constant diatribe of abuse at our players every time things don't go perfectly, eg a misplaced pass, a shot over the bar, someone gets beaten to the ball, a player isn't where they think he should be etc etc etc. We have a few behind us in the North.

Yes, I know the last few months have been frustrating, depressing and painful to watch most of the time, but

2 It makes you look like a sulky child, constantly throwing your toys out of the pram as if the team's performance is deliberately intended to INSULT you
3 It does make the rest of wonder if you're actually a fan who SUPPORTS the team, or we're just an unsuccessful part of your anger management course

You're not. The bloke in front of me turned round and gave me a torrent of abuse about the team just before half time, completely unprovoked. I stood up and said, shout at the players if you feel like that, not at me! He shut up for the rest of the game and left at 85 minutes.
I'm not some other supporters' punchbag and don't intend to be.
Anger management issues indeed.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Given the situation we're in, can understand why people booed that totally gutless first half performance.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Was in the bar so missed the half time boos, but I'm generally not a fan of booing the team during a game. Hyypia v Millwall of course being the exception.
I thought that first half was worse than anything served up by Hyypia.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought that first half was worse than anything served up by Hyypia.

I was quite pissed so it probably passed me by a bit yesterday, but I've never seen anything as bad at the Amex as we were against Millwall under Hyypia.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It often seems to be 'one off' ticket holders who are the loudest and most abusive when we aren't playing well.

Two blokes a few seats along from me yelling abuse throughout the first half at our own players and someone doing the 'I've paid my money so I can say what I want' argument a couple of rows down.

Neither were regulars, so I always wonder whether it's the excitement of actually getting to a game and having a pint that they can't control, whether they have no authority in real life and it gives them a feeling of power telling players they are shit, or whether they are just complete ****s all of the time in real life :shrug:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I remember an old chap who week in week out used to verbally abuse Tony Grealish, when I pulled him up one week and asked him to change the record I got the "I paid my money, I'll shout what I like" response.

No reasoning with some people...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

You get them all around the ground. I remember one guy in west lower who really had a thing against Gordon Greer. Everything was his fault. I remember one time when another player made a mistake and he yelled out words to the effect of "FFS Greer, what are you doing?!" and upon realising it was another player who had just made a mistake followed it up with "You're the captain, you should be sorting that out!"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It often seems to be 'one off' ticket holders who are the loudest and most abusive when we aren't playing well.

Two blokes a few seats along from me yelling abuse throughout the first half at our own players and someone doing the 'I've paid my money so I can say what I want' argument a couple of rows down.

Neither were regulars, so I always wonder whether it's the excitement of actually getting to a game and having a pint that they can't control, whether they have no authority in real life and it gives them a feeling of power telling players they are shit, or whether they are just complete ****s all of the time in real life :shrug:

At the back of the NS this season, over bad team performances, there’ve been some aggressive rows and the odd punch thrown between long term regulars.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fans had every right to boo that disgraceful first half. The boos were more aimed at Hughton i guess.

No fan of booing. But that first half needed it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I'm pretty sure that all of us have our work checked rated and recorded in some way or another, Don't you get performance reviews where you are told to improve your work in several ways ? ultimately you are told to shape up or ship out, booing players is probably on a par with this as they are never going to change by reading their performance scores in The Sun

. I'm sure they may not like being booed but what signal does it send if you have an absolute stinker yet get applause and cheering for it ? However, if they up their game and show a bit of brilliance or endeavour, the cheers come back pretty fast.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Booing and applause are really 2 sides of the same supporter feedback coin. Both are equally valid and useful at times.

We don't tend to criticize or take issue fans who clap after abject performances even thought this promotes a rewarding of under-performance and mediocrity.

Being an Albion fan never meant leaving one's opinions at the Goldstone turnstiles. It shouldn't now.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Normally booing a team off lets them know that they have been awful and many a team come out fighting I have nothing against booing as the 1St half was a disgrace.

I think the same to be honest. The first half was absolutely pathetic considering the scenario and I don't think it was wrong for fans to let the players/hughton know we expected much much more from them.

If the players getting paid as much as they do let a bit of booing get to them then god knows how they cope in a lot of other countries where fans are far less forgiving than us English.

I actually think its more likely to have the opposite effect anyway, giving the players a kick up the arse to make them think ok we need to get back out there and prove ourselves now. I'm sure CH didn't mince his words at half time anyway.

Then rightly clapped and cheered off at the end for a much, much better second half performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here