Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think he’s not getting a fair shake from you and others. I know he broke the transfer record for BHA but you guys act like you’re Man City and just spent 50mil on a World Cup Champion. I’m not here to simply defend him.. I thought BHA football and AJ were not a good match from even before he signed because of the lumbering, somewhat messy and cautiously defensive style of football BHA play. I have been watching AJ play in a very similarly-playing Iranian national team, where he really does not shine, and that is why the move to Brighton was so unusual to me.

It’s not a pathetic comparison. A winger needs to play on his dominant side. A winger’s first move MUST be with the confidence of the dominant foot. How are you expecting a right winger to make it down the left flank when he is a right winger? Or cross it in?? It’s like some of you have never played football seriously before!

I’m not even disappointed in you, you don’t get paid to do this, I’m disappointed in the recruiting team and managerial team. It takes a 5 minute YouTube review of his goals last year to see why he is not doing well in a completely different position.

:bowdown: I'm with you entirely. I can't speak about the Iranian national team, but you can only really judge a player when he's had a fair chance in his natural position. Jahanbakhsh is a right winger, not a left winger. He's doing his best out there, and he's shown that he can use his left foot but, to use your expression, it's not his dominant foot. All the time he's not used in his strongest position, we're not going to see the best of him and having spent so many years and so much money bringing him in, I don't understand why we wouldn't then want to get the most out of him. It baffles me, but there it is. We never saw Mackail-Smith play off another strike and we may never see Jahanbakhsh play regularly on the right wing.

Any ideas what his Instagram rant was about?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Even though it is a club record we are still very much in "having a punt on a player" territory. If we paid £50M we can anticipate the finished article and settling in fairly quickly. For £15M we need to be patient.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
He's posted a long rant about something on Instagram, couldn't tell you what it's about though, the translation doesn't help much...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwAgro3BVtX

3269dedbb0dd82b8ad0bc30ec806f026.jpg

There was a very long-running, extremely popular weekly football TV show called Navad (90) led by host Adel Ferdosipour that would do everything from playing highlights, in depth analyses, referee decisions, interviews, and investigative journalism into problems with the leagues (top, 1st 2nd etc). They revealed a lot of graft and corruption (and incompetence) in Iranian football, which unfortunately is growing instead of shrinking. Despite this show being the most watched show in Iran, with tens of millions tuning in every week and voting on their in-show polls, the government’s media arm closed it under some nonsense reason. It has been a big shock to the whole country and particularly football community, especially since Adel is such a popular personality that he seemed immune from this, it seems behind the scenes this was a sort of social assassination. Many people are talking about it but nothing will change.

AJ is basically again lamenting this has happened and questioning why, and noting that in Europe when a TV show is doing well they expand it not close it down. He is a very good, educated and formal writer.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
I could blow your final paragraph out of the water in seconds based on the fact that AJ and AK had the freedom to swap wings at any time they wanted during the match v Man City and they did swap occasionally. AJ is getting a fair crack of the whip from the Management. He is a super player but don't expect him to get the freedom he got in Holland. The defenders in the PL are of a higher quality than he came up against there

Agree with your last point, but I don’t think AJ is getting actual time on the right. AK does not like to give up the right and he really doesn’t tolerate it for too long in case they accidentally switch. I’ve been watching this for a few games.
1) AK always rushes to free kicks even if on the left side and takes them, even if AJ is standing right there.
2) if in the course of play AJ and AK switch then AK gives it maybe 5 min before gesturing and demanding to switch back. In one game he actually just forced the issue by abandoning his wing and forced AJ to switch back. He is not good at sharing, though I guess as long as he scores a goal here or there like CP then he will feel entitled that he is the priority.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Sorry, this isn't going to sit well but I'm here to tell you that professional footballers should be able to use both feet, that we have played inverted wingers all the time under CH, that, in any case, they often swap, that it didn't hinder Izquierdo last season whose injury is the only reason Ali J is playing anyway. that Dutch League football is of appalling quality, that Asian international football is no better, and that your man doesn't currently have the pace or strength for the Premier League.

Despite all those shortcomings I think he's played as well as he possibly can recently, has decent technique and is a fairly good squad player. He's never going to be the God you want him to be though.

I agree with your pace and strength comment, which is why it is key to use him in a way that suits his play until he gets there.

I have been watching him play with the national team for years, where he “underperforms” in terms of goals and assists, but they play similarly to Brighton in a lot of ways. It’s just not a style of play that suits his style of play. That doesn’t mean he’s not doing well: defensively he is pretty decent and most times he has been subbed out at BHA the other teams have had an easier time getting down that flank, including Chelsea last week. But if we want goals and assists from AJ, then it can’t be with a style of play that I absolutely know doesn’t suit him because I’ve been seeing it for years.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Be careful what you advocate.

He is actually being ''shoe horned'' into a side that he doesn't actually deserve to be in based on his performances on the pitch.

I know he is a superb player but it is his performances in training and his potential which is getting him game time. Not his match day performances. So I would be careful what you seem to demand for him. He is not at that elevated status yet where he or you can make such demands.

I will tell you this though. The lad will be a great player in a Brighton shirt in the coming year or so.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree with your pace and strength comment, which is why it is key to use him in a way that suits his play until he gets there.

I have been watching him play with the national team for years, where he “underperforms” in terms of goals and assists, but they play similarly to Brighton in a lot of ways. It’s just not a style of play that suits his style of play. That doesn’t mean he’s not doing well: defensively he is pretty decent and most times he has been subbed out at BHA the other teams have had an easier time getting down that flank, including Chelsea last week. But if we want goals and assists from AJ, then it can’t be with a style of play that I absolutely know doesn’t suit him because I’ve been seeing it for years.

Be careful what you advocate.

He is actually being ''shoe horned'' into a side that he doesn't actually deserve to be in based on his performances on the pitch.

I know he is a superb player but it is his performances in training and his potential which is getting him game time. Not his match day performances. So I would be careful what you seem to demand for him. He is not at that elevated status yet where he or you can make such demands.

I will tell you this though. The lad will be a great player in a Brighton shirt in the coming year or so.

Last edited:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
He needs to be given two things:

1) Time - it's been proven from his previous two Clubs that he needs TIME to gel and adapt before showing what he can do. If he is still a bit part player this time next year, then I can see him moving on next Summer.

2) Ali J was outstanding in Holland in his favoured position which is as part of a narrow 4-3-3. CH at the moment is using him as an inverted winger. This isn't what he was excelling at before so why try and change him now? If he wasn't/isn't going to play him where he's strongest then I don't see why we brought him in the first place.

People writing him off are obviously entitled to their opinion, and sometimes it is clear when we've brought a dud (Manu) but let's see how he gets on next season, it will make him or break him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He needs to be given two things:

1) Time - it's been proven from his previous two Clubs that he needs TIME to gel and adapt before showing what he can do. If he is still a bit part player this time next year, then I can see him moving on next Summer.

2) Ali J was outstanding in Holland in his favoured position which is as part of a narrow 4-3-3. CH at the moment is using him as an inverted winger. This isn't what he was excelling at before so why try and change him now? If he wasn't/isn't going to play him where he's strongest then I don't see why we brought him in the first place.

People writing him off are obviously entitled to their opinion, and sometimes it is clear when we've brought a dud (Manu) but let's see how he gets on next season, it will make him or break him.

I think this is exactly it. He hasn't set the world alight by any stretch of the imagination but he has shown flashes of quality. Whether he has enough to prosper I don't know, but...

He takes a little time to settle in and he's had a disjointed first season at best so far with the world cup, injury and the Asian cup. Lets see what he's like next year after a full year in England a proper pre-season under his belt.

I also struggle with the thinking of playing him on the left. As you say he played on the right in a 4-3-3 in Holland. Locadia played on the left of a 4-3-3(I think...). I'd like to see them both in a front three with Andone. A proper 4-3-3 not the 4-5-1, occasionally 4-3-3 that Hughton plays.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I also struggle with the thinking of playing him on the left. As you say he played on the right in a 4-3-3 in Holland. Locadia played on the left of a 4-3-3(I think...). I'd like to see them both in a front three with Andone. A proper 4-3-3 not the 4-5-1, occasionally 4-3-3 that Hughton plays.
There's no way that could be any worse than the slop we've had served in 2019.
Yet no prizes for guessing the team selection and sub times v Bournemouth.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
There was a very long-running, extremely popular weekly football TV show called Navad (90) led by host Adel Ferdosipour that would do everything from playing highlights, in depth analyses, referee decisions, interviews, and investigative journalism into problems with the leagues (top, 1st 2nd etc). They revealed a lot of graft and corruption (and incompetence) in Iranian football, which unfortunately is growing instead of shrinking. Despite this show being the most watched show in Iran, with tens of millions tuning in every week and voting on their in-show polls, the government’s media arm closed it under some nonsense reason. It has been a big shock to the whole country and particularly football community, especially since Adel is such a popular personality that he seemed immune from this, it seems behind the scenes this was a sort of social assassination. Many people are talking about it but nothing will change.

AJ is basically again lamenting this has happened and questioning why, and noting that in Europe when a TV show is doing well they expand it not close it down. He is a very good, educated and formal writer.

Thanks for this! Really interesting (but not BHA related). From what I've seen of him in interviews so far and general on pitch conduct, he seems very likeable, down to earth and as you say quite intelligent. I really hope it works out for him here.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There's no way that could be any worse than the slop we've had served in 2019.
Yet no prizes for guessing the team selection and sub times v Bournemouth.

I hold out hope(faint but hope nonetheless) that once survival is secured in just over a weeks time(there's more of that hope...) he might do a little experimenting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for this! Really interesting (but not BHA related). From what I've seen of him in interviews so far and general on pitch conduct, he seems very likeable, down to earth and as you say quite intelligent. I really hope it works out for him here.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Post #157 on this thread would suggest otherwise, or it might not!

(sorry I've just got to do it)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hold out hope(faint but hope nonetheless) that once survival is secured in just over a weeks time(there's more of that hope...) he might do a little experimenting.

Who knows perhaps if the manager were considerably less narrow minded survival might have been secured a few weeks ago.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Not enough pace to be a winger, too big to be a winger, can't go round players. Needs to be tried in a central role.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I think he’s not getting a fair shake from you and others. I know he broke the transfer record for BHA but you guys act like you’re Man City and just spent 50mil on a World Cup Champion. I’m not here to simply defend him.. I thought BHA football and AJ were not a good match from even before he signed because of the lumbering, somewhat messy and cautiously defensive style of football BHA play. I have been watching AJ play in a very similarly-playing Iranian national team, where he really does not shine, and that is why the move to Brighton was so unusual to me.

It’s not a pathetic comparison. A winger needs to play on his dominant side. A winger’s first move MUST be with the confidence of the dominant foot. How are you expecting a right winger to make it down the left flank when he is a right winger? Or cross it in?? It’s like some of you have never played football seriously before!

I’m not even disappointed in you, you don’t get paid to do this, I’m disappointed in the recruiting team and managerial team. It takes a 5 minute YouTube review of his goals last year to see why he is not doing well in a completely different position.

Hallelujah to get the best they must be on their strongest foot
I’ve been trying to make this point for ages and get
the game has changed,its out of fashion,move on to the modern game
rubbish the great over the years have always been on their strongest foot
Hinton,James,Tony Towner great wingers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here