Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we go down

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
But he has changed his formation. We played a season and a half with one up front and was called boring. He changed tactics around Christmas, to much delight on these boards and look at the results since!

Think I said at the time careful what you wish for with the clamour to change things. If only I had known just how right I would be!

Disagree partly recruitment has been poor . Seriously who scouted locadia knowing he was useless at most things including by his own admission heading . At yet we went ahead at what £14 mill ? .He may have changed formation but you would b pretty good if you could notice any different.It sure looks the same one man isolated up top no support , no midfield . Aj not exactly done anything to suggest he’s worth £17 mill either . But I think it’s been a combination of poor recruitment, manager out of his depth with no plan b poor tactics poor players . You can’t deny it’s been pathetic watching for most games this season .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bit harsh to include TB in the blame game. He isn’t one to chop and change and will evaluate those who he has placed in accountable roles over the summer methinks. If Barber has overall responsibility and isn’t up to the job then I don’t think
TB will take any prisoners.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The quality of the squad gets built over time. Teams with limited resources - who have survived longer than a couple of seasons have demonstrated that.

Your rant at TB and PB is coming off the back of a difficult second season. Look back and you'll see that teams like Fulham - who go for big money signings and wholesale replacements - tend to go down. Teams that build slowly, stay up or at least frequent the higher reaches of the league structure on a more regular basis.

It should not be forgotten that on average, over the past 100 years, our natural position is top of the 3rd tier/bottom of the 2nd, so TB and PB aren't doing too badly.

I'd suggest you're out of step and just reacting to your immediate emotions - which is understandable, but doesn't give any of us permission to start finger pointing at TB and PB.

What I'm actually saying is the failure to identify a huge weakness in our options up front at Xmas and failing to strengthen then is now having a huge impact. Look at almost all the teams around us who added personnel and have pulled away from trouble.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But he has changed his formation. We played a season and a half with one up front and was called boring. He changed tactics around Christmas, to much delight on these boards and look at the results since!

Think I said at the time careful what you wish for with the clamour to change things. If only I had known just how right I would be!

Sounds like Hughton is technically limited and can't manage change. If we are to progress , he has to go!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What I'm actually saying is the failure to identify a huge weakness in our options up front at Xmas and failing to strengthen then is now having a huge impact. Look at almost all the teams around us who added personnel and have pulled away from trouble.

I agree - lots to learn. But the tone of you piece left a lot to be desired. I think TB and PB know better than anyone that other decisions might have been made, but we should not be pointing accusatory fingers around.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We SINGED Locadia , Izquierdo and Jahannaksh when they were all injured and couldn’t play straight away. What sort of transfer strategy is that ???

Izquierdo played a few days after he was signed v Leicester in 2017.
Ali J came on as sub in our opening game this season v Watford.
Locadia missed 3 games when he signed in Jan 2018 and has been fit and available ever since.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
How come the squad was good enough in the first half of this season? They got complacent as the target is just to survive and they thought they had done enough. We never did win that game that pushed us into the top half of the table funny that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How come the squad was good enough in the first half of this season? They got complacent as the target is just to survive and they thought they had done enough. We never did win that game that pushed us into the top half of the table funny that.

CH was recently very honest in admitting that Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle outplayed us. So apart from the ManU game, perhaps we got lucky, with luck evening itself out over a full season? Radio Sussex said on Saturday that we are in the bottom 3 for player budget, it shows on the field and in the table, so that lofty position in the autumn was false in terms of player quality.

scooter1

How soon is now?
It’s been said before, but Hughton has consistently struggled in the premier league. What he has done at BRIGHTON puts him at legendary status, but his ceiling is lower mid table premier league at best. I’d love to see him succeed here, but there is something missing from his game plan and if Bloom wants to push the club on then he needs to make some big decisions(that’s presuming we beat Cardiff and stay up). If we go down, we may as we’ll stick with Hughton, as he has the skill set to get us promoted(what happens next though, who knows)

Feb 9, 2019
Have to say I cant see us beating Cardiff, they are in form and are hungry to stay up, something we arent. Also cant see us staying up, we show no desire home or away, the Amex has not been a fortress all year. For me the blame has to be placed on Houghton (of course), but also Bloom and the board, they have failed to make a signing with EPL experience and also have never replaced Sidwell. For me both Houghton should go as well as a overhaul of the board of directors. THINGS NEED TO CHANGE

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
CH was recently very honest in admitting that Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle outplayed us. So apart from the ManU game, perhaps we got lucky, with luck evening itself out over a full season? Radio Sussex said on Saturday that we are in the bottom 3 for player budget, it shows on the field and in the table, so that lofty position in the autumn was false in terms of player quality.

I think that’s about right. The last time we tried to do it on the cheap we almost got relegated from the Championship. Tony then spent relatively big. I suspect if we survive he’ll do the same, albeit the cost and stakes are much higher now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that’s about right. The last time we tried to do it on the cheap we almost got relegated from the Championship. Tony then spent relatively big. I suspect if we survive he’ll do the same, albeit the cost and stakes are much higher now.

Very true, TB cancelled the relatively tighter purse strings route, and we started signing excellent Championship players.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Have to say I cant see us beating Cardiff, they are in form and are hungry to stay up, something we arent. Also cant see us staying up, we show no desire home or away, the Amex has not been a fortress all year. For me the blame has to be placed on Houghton (of course), but also Bloom and the board, they have failed to make a signing with EPL experience and also have never replaced Sidwell. For me both Houghton should go as well as a overhaul of the board of directors. THINGS NEED TO CHANGE

Trying to put a positive spin on things......but agree, can't see us beating Cardiff, but a draw keeps them 5 behind us. They are hungry and we are struggling. If we can stay in the game and they have quality we could get a 0-0 draw. A further 0-0 draw might be enough.....

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Cardiff are not in any form at all

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
We could definitely do with some composure back there. Teams have wised up to Dunk and Duffy throwing themselves at everything and are playing around them.

And in slow motion. Sunday league defending at times.

While last ditch often looks good and gets a good reception, when it becomes their ‘style of play’ it’s a sign of poor positioning and reading of the game.

“If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake“ - Paolo Maldini. Not comparing them directly but the sentiment is there.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here