Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEX expansion - there must be a plan hidden away somewhere......

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
This.

Let the JCL's and plastics stand out side in the rain and listen for the cheers from within

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or let them into the concourse, then 1 in 1 out starting on 35mins, several thousand could watch 35-45, 45-50, then 80-90, loads of empty seats then, so 25mins in total, £15 a pop

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Cardiff bolted into their stadium to increase capacity, didn't work out so well for them.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
There is a huge catchment area for this club, as there isn't another big football team anywhere near.

The Amex has shown that if the facilities are here the crowds will come even in Hypia's disastrous season. In the premier league if we become as established as Palace, the sky is the limit.

I don't know the ins and outs of expanding the Amex, but if there is a 10,000 waiting list, the club must look forward and not stand still.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There is a huge catchment area for this club, as there isn't another big football team anywhere near.

The Amex has shown that if the facilities are here the crowds will come even in Hypia's disastrous season. In the premier league if we become as established as Palace, the sky is the limit.

I don't know the ins and outs of expanding the Amex, but if there is a 10,000 waiting list, the club must look forward and not stand still.

True, like Southampton, but their catchment is just Southampton, Eastleigh, Winchester, Totton, and I expect they pinch fans from Portsmouths's Fareham patch during the latter club's wildnerness years.

We have the whole of Sussex, except say Crawley, East Grinstead, Bognor and Chichester. That's 1.4 million.

But it all depends whether we can stay up next season. So very hard to get there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They were or weren't? Sorry for being dumb but I have no idea what that means.

@chailyjem is using his words correctly. It means were not. It is perfectly understandable :shrug:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

el punal

True, like Southampton, but their catchment is just Southampton, Eastleigh, Winchester, Totton, and I expect they pinch fans from Portsmouths's Fareham patch during the latter club's wildnerness years.

We have the whole of Sussex, except say Crawley, East Grinstead, Bognor and Chichester. That's 1.4 million.

But it all depends whether we can stay up next season. So very hard to get there.

Maybe you're right, but Southampton draws from a much bigger area than you suggest. Expand it well into Dorset, including Bournemouth, the New Forest, up to Salisbury and Basingstoke (from there you're into Reading/Chelsea territory!). Fareham and everything east is definitely Pompey, regardless of their position in relation to Saints.

By the way, there a lot of us Albion folk down in this neck of the woods. To sum up, I don't think football and its supporters are as parochial as they were in the past.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe you're right, but Southampton draws from a much bigger area than you suggest. Expand it well into Dorset, including Bournemouth, the New Forest, up to Salisbury and Basingstoke (from there you're into Reading/Chelsea territory!). Fareham and everything east is definitely Pompey, regardless of their position in relation to Saints.

By the way, there a lot of us Albion folk down in this neck of the woods. To sum up, I don't think football and its supporters are as parochial as they were in the past.

I found this online from a year ago, produced by a data loving Everton fan.

IMG_2169.PNG

I wasn't even looking up stuff about the Albion.

When you factor in that he included minuscule Crawley Town FC including Albion loving areas such as Horsham and Haywards Heath, crikey, the population of our catchment is vast.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hopefully we can stay up this year and truly establish ourselves as a Premier League club for years to come.

However we are only 13th in the attendance league table. If we stay in the top division, we will get to the point where we could fill a 40,000 seater stadium. We could even be there already.

I do wonder, and hope, that there are plans to expand the Amex.

Why not hold this thought and ask it a the next supporters meeting, I'm sure the panel will smile and give you a nice response rather than groaning like everyone else who are muttering not again, how many more times

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you put a huge flat glass roof over the top of the stadium, you could easily get another 10,000 laying face down watching from above...

*puts himself up for design award*

:whistle:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Before the club even start thinking of upping number of seats, they probably need to get shares in / buy out Southern Rail, and increase number of trains serving Falmer, after a match ends.. can sometimes be a LONG wait, even with current attendance..

(and maybe get an awning jutting out from top of the multi storey steps, that lead to foot bridge over railway line- give some cover from rain etc, for folks who are queue-ing to get into station..

The shape of stadium itself rather limits options.. the North stand MIGHT be able to fit another small tier, if the police pod was (re)moved..
Ditto South stand, but then the vips won't like it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's down to the access.

Peoples expectations more like. Can never understand why people who attend one of the largest events in the country, with over 30000 present expect to be able to be get away in no time. That doesn't happen anywhere else. I've stood waiting or been sat in my car for over an hour at many grounds and events up and down the country. Some just refuse to accept that we are well supported and not playing in front of a few thousand.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My guess is that if the club are able to squeeze in more spectators they'll do boxes or another small 1901 area somewhere as that will maximise their income and make it worthwhile.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Paul Barber said at the last forum that he and TB are always asking Martin Perry if there is a way of squeezing a few extra seats in but any large-scale expansion would require something radical to be done about transport.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
30k is fine. Why spend millions putting a few extra thousand seats in? In the top flight the ticket sales wont even be near the top income the club has. Face it, with the tv money and sponsorship we could probably all watch for free and not have a massive impact on finances.

Absolutely. 10,000 more seats at £50 a game would bring in less than £10m a season. I guess our annual revenue now is something like £130m+,so even if it was doable (we know it isn’t, as explained EVERY TIME there is a fan’s forum), the costs would be huge and it would take an age just to pa for itself.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My guess is that if the club are able to squeeze in more spectators they'll do boxes or another small 1901 area somewhere as that will maximise their income and make it worthwhile.

I could well imagine the NE corner having a corporate box, it’s the only corner that hasn’t been developed yet and would really finish off the inside of the stadium.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe somebody will find the component parts of the Lego Stand mouldering away in a lock-up somewhere in deepest darkest Hove (along with the cup final money in bin bags underneath it!) Surely we could tuck it in a corner somewhere!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here