Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Minutes silence before every game?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just want to say, this is what church is for.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But what about national tragedies/disasters? We’ve marked them in the past. And why not the Thai chairman (Hugh investor, life cut short etc) versus someone who dies of old age after a good career decades ago that didn’t play for club or even country? You can’t just discriminate like that, it then becomes offensive if you ignore someone or something that isn’t marked in comparison to someone or some event that is. That’s where we’re at currently which is why I’d advocate a BAFTA type marking / or do one every week where fans can nominate / club can choose according to national and international events. There’s a lot to grieve about and we need a new approach to public displays. That at least we can all agree on. The need to display or show grief. To not do so is disrespectful.

Not sure whether you are taking the pi$s or not?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I may be wrong but I think Southampton have an 'All Saints Day' where all saints fans and passings for the year are remembered on that one day only.

giphy.gif

Not for me, Clive.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How dare you?! The word legend gets thrown around all to easily these days, but [insert name here] is a total legend who deserves respect. There but for the grace... and all that. Now is not the time to be posting such insensitive views, not this close to [insert death/tragedy/incident here]. How would you like it if your loved one [insert relevant comparison here]?

Wind your neck in and show some damn respect.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
First minute's applause I can remember was at Withdean when Alan Ball died. Clearly remember thinking WTF.

Bored now with clapping like a seal for little or no reason at all. Instead I'll observe a minute's silence, which can be taken whatever way it's taken.
Yes, advantage of the minutes clapping is that if you don't join in, you don't come across as unpleasant - while with the minute silence you certainly do.

It's now a hierarchy of loss:
- Minutes clapping if the person doesn't command the respect of everyone in the ground
- Minutes silence if they do

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Once a year 'members of the football family lost this year' slideshow to a suitable soundtrack - last home game of the season.

As much as the baftas and oscars are fluff, I look forward to the bit where they show those who had passed since the last awards ceremonies.

I think one off at the end of the season is a great idea, BUT i somehow make sure they do it when people are in the stadium seats not just the concourse bars.

Of course, when we remembered my great mate tony langridge and the applause started during the game when his name appeared on the screen, that was a very emotional moment for all of us and especially his family who were with us all in the north stand. I seem to recall us scoring not long after.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As much as the baftas and oscars are fluff, I look forward to the bit where they show those who had passed since the last awards ceremonies.

I think one off at the end of the season is a great idea, BUT i somehow make sure they do it when people are in the stadium seats not just the concourse bars.

Of course, when we remembered my great mate tony langridge and the applause started during the game when his name appeared on the screen, that was a very emotional moment for all of us and especially his family who were with us all in the north stand. I seem to recall us scoring not long after.

Yes - just before kick off would work.................they do it on SPOTY as well, always brings a tear to my eye.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think we've gone past the so called silly stage, Diana provided that watershed. Public grieving, and even so called 'competitive grieving', is here to stay, so how do we best manage because who 'chooses' whether a person is remembered or not and on what basis, what right do they have to call that? Hence the BAFTA or weekly 'mass' suggestions could provide a better way forward than sporadic almost weekly mourning that football matches have become.

Mmmm....slightly different take here....

Mr Tony invented public emoting by leaders, and his stance after the Diana death was one of his finest moments.

I have no problem with 30 second's applause or silence before every game to commemorate the passing of someone meaningful to the club (player, supporter). No problem at all.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn’t realise the Albion were going to do something for Sala, but I did join in, purely for the loss at a human level of a young man.

But this whole business in general terms is getting out of hand. The LCFC owner and Sala are treated as deities at the 92 clubs for weeks afterwards. On a par with Gordon Banks.

Personally I get/got emotional at the very premature deaths of football mad Bradley Lowery (Sunderland) and Rhys Jones (Everton).

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
With the increasing number of these in tribute to those not just from world of football or even remotely connected to the Albion, but public figures and of course the annual remembrance for those who served their country, should we now not just have either: a single 'BAFTA' style remembrance where everyone can be remembered together annually (keep forces one separate obviously). Or should we just have one every week, where 'this weeks' fans, celebrities, victims of tragedies, former players, players of other clubs etc all be mourned together? That way, it doesn't feel discriminatory - because plenty pass without official acknowledgement - and anyone can ask the club to announce whomever / their name or picture be displayed on the screens. Football has, after all, become the new church in terms of public grieving so why not have the equivalent of a 'mass' each week? Thoughts?

Think of the children!!! In 50-60 years time they will have to clap constantly due to the passing of some youtuber or reality TV star who was famous for 15mins. At least, growing up with 5 or less TV channels we had less 'celebrities' who we are now losing.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's the club who decide. Well they already have to deal with probably 100 pointless complaints from people pretending to be outraged at something every game so, why take a controversial decision of not observing a silence when some other clubs do and invite another 100? We end up in this mess.

I'd have it standardised as much as possible ....

Someone acknowledged to be club legend, eg when Mullery or Knight go = minutes silence
Someone associated with club, eg a prominent fan or former player = moments reflection
Someone acknowledged to be a legend of Football, eg Banks, Best, Pele = minutes applause
Someone who isn't a legend and has no Albion connection, but is respected in the game, Eg Regis, Ray Wilkins = moments reflection
Someone associated with other club, but hasn't achieved greatness or particularly affected most people = eg Sala, nothing
Someone not involved with football = nothing. Though possibly a minutes silence for someone exceptional, eg the Queen
Remembrance day = I'm not trying to be controversial, I know, but I don't see why this happens at the football, so i'd say not observe it. I think I may have observed about 6 silences last year, most in pubs waiting for some sport to start. There are public parades especially for this sort of thing.
Someone who has died before their time and is "in the football family" or strongly associated with the club, eg the Shoreham aircrash victims or Bradley Lowry = minutes silence.

To be fair this is a bit of a minefield

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I tried, but my contribution was considered 'odd'. I thought odd was the starting point to be fair.

No, you were just rude so I brushed off. You’re still smarting at that evidently.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Mmmm....slightly different take here....

Mr Tony invented public emoting by leaders, and his stance after the Diana death was one of his finest moments.

I have no problem with 30 second's applause or silence before every game to commemorate the passing of someone meaningful to the club (player, supporter). No problem at all.

Slightly different take? Eh? You’ve said precisely what I’ve said several times in this thread! Idea ‘thief’ ;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Think of the children!!! In 50-60 years time they will have to clap constantly due to the passing of some youtuber or reality TV star who was famous for 15mins. At least, growing up with 5 or less TV channels we had less 'celebrities' who we are now losing.

This is precisely why it needs addressing now. Do you want to live in a world that claps every week? Eh? Hmm?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Grief tourism is rampant, everyone has to show they care more than the next person. Totally out of hand now and makes genuine tributes meaningless.

Clap on some minutes as someone you never heard of has died just so you show how much you care

And they only made it clapping when the authorities realised people didn't in fact care and that silences we're being sabotaged. You never know, perhaps in time people will protest by silence. That'd be strange.

I expect the PA systems in stadiums have a light applause setting just in case.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here