Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] League position.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am happy with survival, of course I dream of turning over one of the top six away and occasionally thrashing a team at the Amex. It continues to be a dream (the Palace game did feel like a thrashing though). Just staying up again WILL be an achievement imo and I accept it may well be a bit nailbiting but we are certainly on the fringes of the relegation mix now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
But we shouldn't use where we were X amount of years ago to discredit legitimate complaints about our dreadful run of form at the minute. .

Well perspective i guess. Last season, in Dec/Jan we went on a run where we won once in 12 games. And last season we lost away from home at Huddersfield, West Brom. (i guess similar to Cardiff/Fulham defeats this year). So actually this year is similar to last season. We're 3 points ahead of 2017/18 at moment and our run in of 13 games is probably 'easier" but we'll see. .

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am happy with survival, of course I dream of turning over one of the top six away and occasionally thrashing a team at the Amex. It continues to be a dream (the Palace game did feel like a thrashing though). Just staying up again WILL be an achievement imo and I accept it may well be a bit nailbiting but we are certainly on the fringes of the relegation mix now.

Hmmm I'm not keen on the 'playing for 17th' attitude.

I was dead set against [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] doing a relegation-o-meter this season although it's kind of understandable, but not next.

Everything we've been fed is 'slowly but surely', this season should have been all about 8th to 14th.
Next season must be that with a nod to the Everton Cup.

Anything else like the '5 year plan' is just playing with relegation until it finally happens.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Well perspective i guess. Last season, in Dec/Jan we went on a run where we won once in 12 games. And last season we lost away from home at Huddersfield, West Brom. (i guess similar to Cardiff/Fulham defeats this year). So actually this year is similar to last season. We're 3 points ahead of 2017/18 at moment and our run in of 13 games is probably 'easier" but we'll see. .

Indeed. It does wind me up, however, that people such as Naylor seem to be surprised by the current criticism. Yes, a large proportion of it is unjustified, but negativity is to be expected when we're on such a poor run of form. I think most of us on here are in agreement that we'll probably be alright, but it is understandable why some fans are discontented.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We are in a 13 team league and we have to finish 10th or higher in that league. Within reason, it doesn't matter how we do it, we just have to do it. Its fine margins and its marginal gains. I targetted 41 points this season, a gain of one point over last season,irrespective of position. There is no such thing as progression in the PL for teams like us. Its one game at a time, one season at a time. Its just finding a way to survive. Teams like Charlton, Blackburn, Bolton and Stoke were never progressing in the top flight. They were just finding ways to survive over the medium term until, inevitably, their time ran out. Its basic football life at the top level. Feeding off scraps from the elite, trying to eat some of the teams around you. Putting together a couple of small unbeaten runs a season ( 3-4 games ) and avoiding longish losing runs. Continually trying to improve your squad helps. Teams like Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Leicester look like they could have medium term survival prospects, although not guaranteed. The rest of us, are fighting to stay afloat.
Our manager is solid, predictable and pragmatic. He targets winnable home games. He creates strong defensive units and relies on a structured game plan. He expects his team to carry out its game plan. He appears to be a good man manager. He isn't proactive. He doesn't rush decisions and therefore, is open to criticism of over-caution. Fans can see games changing and nothing gets done. It frustrates some. Others just accept it is the manager's way and trust him implicitly.
If we fail to exceed last season's dismal away tally of 11 points, that will be desperately disappointing. In that respect, we won't have progressed. There is evidence that tactics away are changing but this is no good if better results don't accompany it. It is a dangerous game to put all your eggs in the ' home basket ' Pressure will mount at the Amex and games become ' must win '
General areas to improve. Clearly, the away record and away games at the elite. It is not acceptable to keep expecting to ' get rolled over ' at these clubs and giving up on 18 points every season. We have to blood the occasional big nose, on their own patch. Specific areas. Ball retention and finishing, particularly longer range shooting. Set pieces. Given our aerial strength, still not good enough.
We are where we are. Onto the next game and another step toward survival.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Set piece goals scored last season - 5
Set pieces goals scored this season - 11 (after 25 matches, joint second with Man U and Spurs btw.)

We are doing okay on the set piece front.

Goals from open play needs to improve drastically but probably won’t do until we have a faster striker in the middle if we are to persist with a 4,3,3 attacking formation.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
I'm happy with what feels like us being glued to 13th. Finishing higher than or equal to last season is ideal but making sure we are comfortable and not at risk is what's necessary.

Any point is a good point in the PL. But please let's get back to winning ways against Burnley.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If we went on to lose the next five games for example - WBA in the Cup, Burnley at home, Leicester away, Hudderfield at home, and then Palace - then yes, we should be really considering if CH is still the best man for the job. Anyone who still thinks that in that kind of scenario that, we shouldn't, then they probably have misplaced priorities.

No, no, no, no. It's just that sort of short term nonsense that can screw up clubs. Even if those results were to happen I'd still back CH to turn it around and even if we went down I'd back him to get us back up again.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
We are in a 13 team league and we have to finish 10th or higher in that league. Within reason, it doesn't matter how we do it, we just have to do it. Its fine margins and its marginal gains. I targetted 41 points this season, a gain of one point over last season,irrespective of position. There is no such thing as progression in the PL for teams like us. Its one game at a time, one season at a time. Its just finding a way to survive. Teams like Charlton, Blackburn, Bolton and Stoke were never progressing in the top flight. They were just finding ways to survive over the medium term until, inevitably, their time ran out. Its basic football life at the top level. Feeding off scraps from the elite, trying to eat some of the teams around you. Putting together a couple of small unbeaten runs a season ( 3-4 games ) and avoiding longish losing runs. Continually trying to improve your squad helps. Teams like Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Leicester look like they could have medium term survival prospects, although not guaranteed. The rest of us, are fighting to stay afloat.
Our manager is solid, predictable and pragmatic. He targets winnable home games. He creates strong defensive units and relies on a structured game plan. He expects his team to carry out its game plan. He appears to be a good man manager. He isn't proactive. He doesn't rush decisions and therefore, is open to criticism of over-caution. Fans can see games changing and nothing gets done. It frustrates some. Others just accept it is the manager's way and trust him implicitly.
If we fail to exceed last season's dismal away tally of 11 points, that will be desperately disappointing. In that respect, we won't have progressed. There is evidence that tactics away are changing but this is no good if better results don't accompany it. It is a dangerous game to put all your eggs in the ' home basket ' Pressure will mount at the Amex and games become ' must win '
General areas to improve. Clearly, the away record and away games at the elite. It is not acceptable to keep expecting to ' get rolled over ' at these clubs and giving up on 18 points every season. We have to blood the occasional big nose, on their own patch. Specific areas. Ball retention and finishing, particularly longer range shooting. Set pieces. Given our aerial strength, still not good enough.
We are where we are. Onto the next game and another step toward survival.

Pretty much how I see it. Apart from Leicester who performed a miracle and Man City who have been down (quite far) and recently been given a financial shot in the arm no one has broken into the monopoly of top teams in the league. The amount of teams who have been in the Premier League is over 40 and only six of those teams have never been relegated. The point being that the vast majority of clubs haven't been able to extend their stay beyond the medium term as Mo says above. Some of those clubs had a plan for relegation (Burnley, Newcastle), some didn't (Portsmouth, Sunderland). I suspect Albion have a plan covering the financial side whilst keeping us competitive.

It's great being in the Premier and seeing how far up the table we can go but relegation isn't a catastrophe. I understand people complaining about form and performances when they know the team are capable of better but complaining about being 13th in the league when the top six places are decided (in no particular order) is a bit much.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sigh again. I am sick of saying it as it doesn't sink in. He is not a Palace fan - he is a Brighton fan who I believe works for the Navy and thinks it is hilarious to post this tedious crap every so often. Most of the threads follow the same pattern. Some people bite. Those who get aggressive get told off by Yorkie as they wouldn't say it to his face because he is hard. Various armed forces posters post their inter-forces insults.Rinse and repeat. (At least not for 3 months I guess.)

Assuming it's the guy who nicked the steward's megaphone at Wycombe, you are correct. I think he joined the RAF but I could be wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, no, no, no. It's just that sort of short term nonsense that can screw up clubs. Even if those results were to happen I'd still back CH to turn it around and even if we went down I'd back him to get us back up again.

This. If in the second season in the Championship it wasn't going well by Christmas - or heaven forefend, if it looked like we were in danger of exiting the division at the other end - then I would probably be calling for CH to go. Not until then, though. And unlike a lot of teams who get relegated, I do think we are set up well to bounce back.

Naturally, I hope this doesn't happen! But if it did, CH would be my choice to get us back up. None of that, however, will interfere with my right to question his tactics, team selections and substitutions on NSC from time to time!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sigh again. I am sick of saying it as it doesn't sink in. He is not a Palace fan - he is a Brighton fan who I believe works for the Navy and thinks it is hilarious to post this tedious crap every so often. Most of the threads follow the same pattern. Some people bite. Those who get aggressive get told off by Yorkie as they wouldn't say it to his face because he is hard. Various armed forces posters post their inter-forces insults.Rinse and repeat. (At least not for 3 months I guess.)

Assuming it's the guy who nicked the steward's megaphone at Wycombe, you are correct. I think he joined the RAF but I could be wrong.

Firstly Yorkie is dead and buried. Other posters have changed their username & don't get referred to as their old one.

Secondly, he was RAF Regiment, then went to Border Force. I'm not sure what he's doing now, as I only see an occasional post on Facebook.
Thirdly he is a huge wind up merchant, and loves to wind up Nsc, as he always gets bites. I'm not standing up for him as I don't like it either. I'm just explaining what he does. In fact, last year, I sent him a pm asking not to do it, and was told to stop spoiling his fun. So, don't blame me.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Pretty much how I see it. Apart from Leicester who performed a miracle and Man City who have been down (quite far) and recently been given a financial shot in the arm no one has broken into the monopoly of top teams in the league. The amount of teams who have been in the Premier League is over 40 and only six of those teams have never been relegated. The point being that the vast majority of clubs haven't been able to extend their stay beyond the medium term as Mo says above. Some of those clubs had a plan for relegation (Burnley, Newcastle), some didn't (Portsmouth, Sunderland). I suspect Albion have a plan covering the financial side whilst keeping us competitive.

It's great being in the Premier and seeing how far up the table we can go but relegation isn't a catastrophe. I understand people complaining about form and performances when they know the team are capable of better but complaining about being 13th in the league when the top six places are decided (in no particular order) is a bit much.

I make it nine. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Us.

Nov 27, 2018
Firstly Yorkie is dead and buried. Other posters have changed their username & don't get referred to as their old one.

Secondly, he was RAF Regiment, then went to Border Force. I'm not sure what he's doing now, as I only see an occasional post on Facebook.
Thirdly he is a huge wind up merchant, and loves to wind up Nsc, as he always gets bites. I'm not standing up for him as I don't like it either. I'm just explaining what he does. In fact, last year, I sent him a pm asking not to do it, and was told to stop spoiling his fun. So, don't blame me.

I don't believe you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here