Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I actually find them pretty accurate for me. It currently says:

5k - 18:04 (I did 18:09 in November)
10k - 37:29 (Haven't done one for a while, but I think I could get close)
HM - 1:22:53 (I did 1:22:57 in October)
FM - 2:53:05 (I'll know how accurate that is a week on Saturday!)

Interesting - as far as I can tell they are calculated by a simple formula based on the watch’s estimate of your VO2max.

Mine are so far off, that all I can assume is that it is telling me that I am extremely fit (the Garmin app page for VO2max tells me the flattering news that “your fitness age is that of an excellent 20-year old. That’s the top 1% for your age and gender”. I’m 63), but absolutely crap at running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been doing a couple of gym cardio sessions this week and last - 1km row at high effort, 7 minutes treadmill progression (9km/h for one minute, up to 15km/h) finishing with 5 minutes on the stairmill (45 seconds hard, 15 seconds rest x 5). It's starting to pay off now, I was able to add an extra KM on the rower, an extra minute on the treadmill at 16km/h and a higher level for rep 5 on the ******* stairmill.

What I always find is that the stairmill gets me sweating like a horse, the treadmill run doesn't have that type of impact, even at 16km/h. Just me?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I've been doing a couple of gym cardio sessions this week and last - 1km row at high effort, 7 minutes treadmill progression (9km/h for one minute, up to 15km/h) finishing with 5 minutes on the stairmill (45 seconds hard, 15 seconds rest x 5). It's starting to pay off now, I was able to add an extra KM on the rower, an extra minute on the treadmill at 16km/h and a higher level for rep 5 on the ******* stairmill.

What I always find is that the stairmill gets me sweating like a horse, the treadmill run doesn't have that type of impact, even at 16km/h. Just me?

I don’t find a treadmill to be any benefit unless the incline is set fairly high. There are some good hill session work outs to follow which I have found to work really well especially if coming back from an injury

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Foolishly I have entered the strong field at the Sussex League X Country 5m at Bexhill on Feb 9th. I expect to be the last Arena runner home. Should be fun.

First Sussex League run since 1971 when I finished 35th at Stanmer as a 12 year old in the U-15 Sussex County race. My second best all time run and the prelude to my decline........(just for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] harping on about my past).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Foolishly I have entered the strong field at the Sussex League X Country 5m at Bexhill on Feb 9th. I expect to be the last Arena runner home. Should be fun.

First Sussex League run since 1971 when I finished 35th at Stanmer as a 12 year old in the U-15 Sussex County race. My second best all time run and the prelude to my decline........(just for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] harping on about my past).

Good luck, Gaffer!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t find a treadmill to be any benefit unless the incline is set fairly high. There are some good hill session work outs to follow which I have found to work really well especially if coming back from an injury

I do loads of my training on the treadmill.......due to working away etc. It’s great for interval-related sessions.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Interesting - as far as I can tell they are calculated by a simple formula based on the watch’s estimate of your VO2max.

Mine are so far off, that all I can assume is that it is telling me that I am extremely fit (the Garmin app page for VO2max tells me the flattering news that “your fitness age is that of an excellent 20-year old. That’s the top 1% for your age and gender”. I’m 63), but absolutely crap at running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's still pretty impressive!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Brilliant: but you've now set yourself up with the burden of expectation of a full race report...………..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
...and it's [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and we'll sing, he's by FAR the greatest runner (adjusted for age grading), the world has ever seen... :albion2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just a little Whoop if I may. Unexpected table update please gaffer....20.35 and 72.79% AG. Good running by yourself too......breeze was a bit worse than I was expecting.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not today though! 22:05 at Worthing. by Christ it was cold* (but I am a wimp).

* made the mistake of cycling there: so much for a 'warm up'.

Lovely and hot on Hove Prom where I was bang on my 7" mile pace target time and a 21:44. Happy with that with marathon mileage in the legs.
Not happy that an on fire [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION]666 beat me by well over a minute. My nemesis now 11-1 up on races at a guestimate.
Not happy that when I raced past a stranger to the line at 5:45 pace he kicked on and left me for dead

I will change the table for Dazzer and Ninja (last week) this evening.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Late night last night so fairly lazy 25 min pacing this morning. Looking forward to a long cold run in the morning.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lovely and hot on Hove Prom where I was bang on my 7" mile pace target time and a 21:44. Happy with that with marathon mileage in the legs.
Not happy that an on fire [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION]666 beat me by well over a minute. My nemesis now 11-1 up on races at a guestimate.
Not happy that when I raced past a stranger to the line at 5:45 pace he kicked on and left me for dead

I will change the table for Dazzer and Ninja (last week) this evening.

NSC’s finest [emoji106][emoji106]

33f0a2d1cadd36054e663188afa722b2.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Finally got a 6am start. Week finished and ready to start at zero tomorrow.
Week 3 of marathon training and all going well except 5K time over a minute down and running 14 miles almost kills me.
Saw [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] chugging along just as I reached my finish line and keeled over. Hope that doesn't happen in April.............

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Finally got a 6am start. Week finished and ready to start at zero tomorrow.
Week 3 of marathon training and all going well except 5K time over a minute down and running 14 miles almost kills me.
Saw [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] chugging along just as I reached my finish line and keeled over. Hope that doesn't happen in April.............

A 14 miler for me today too. Went with my mate from last week but he'd had a cold in the week and declined my offer of a tempo mile from 12-13 - thus it was I was on my own bashing out a 7.51 penultimate mile when I saw you. Went back for him and we finished together with a run/walk cool down. Also saw [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] on the clifftop leading his group out to Newhaven.

Only issue today was I had to bin a Karrimoor hand held water bottle. It was like running round holding a block of ice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2120652816

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just back from a chilly Junior Park Run.

-4 when we left the house at 8am but they are determind to run every week. So far they have JPR'd every week since their first event 17 weeks ago. My youngest (7) was rewarded with a PB by 2 secs today and is grinning from ear to ear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here