Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just finished 'Save Me', a dark and very uncomfortable at times thriller.

Great cast too, but the small role from Ade E rightly made me feel rather sick.

Save.JPG

Great drama.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just finished Escape At Dannemora.

Quite gripping tale based on the true story from 2015 where 2 dangerous convicts escape from a high security nick with help from a gullible (?) employee.

Really enjoyed it, and seems pretty accurate to the truth with a few dramatic licences en route. E7 explaining the reasons why those involved were where they were was quite sobering after kind of rooting for the bad guys.

Recommended.

Last edited:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Altered Carbon, it was amazing, I'll probably re watch it as there's so much going on.
Sense8, onto 2nd season, took a while to figure it out, but love it.
You, watched it with the wench, it was good, maybe for the slightly younger crowd but a good story and lots going on to keep me hooked.
The Ranch, just watched the latest series, not the same without Danny Masterson.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Avoid 'The Good Place' on Netflix. Boring beyond belief.

I normally love most US series and concur with opinions on this excellent thread.

The Good Place is brilliant. Just goes to show everyone's taste is different.

Pine Gap on Netflix, a quick 6 episode Australian drama about a 'secret' joint American and Australian surveillance centre. Enjoyed it.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Finished Money Heist (oddly, a translation from "La Casa de Papel"...) on Netflix, a Spanish heist series that gets immediately into the action and spends 12 x 50mins old-fashioned cliff-hanging episodes digging down into the crims' and cops' stories/relationships. Really enjoyed it.

Altered Carbon keeps cropping up here - sounds like a goodie? (after Springfloden, [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] !)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Finished Money Heist (oddly, a translation from "La Casa de Papel"...) on Netflix, a Spanish heist series that gets immediately into the action and spends 12 x 50mins old-fashioned cliff-hanging episodes digging down into the crims' and cops' stories/relationships. Really enjoyed it.

Altered Carbon keeps cropping up here - sounds like a goodie? (after Springfloden, [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] !)

Don't normally do futuristic stuff, however the feedback for Altered Carbon is indeed quite positive, including the reliable yardstick of Rotten Toms. Think I'll give it a bash.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean

I've got one episode of Money Heist to go, a bit silly in places but great fun, apparently the most watched non English speaking program on Netflix and has been so popular they are now going to make another series, can't wait.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've got one episode of Money Heist to go, a bit silly in places but great fun, apparently the most watched non English speaking program on Netflix and has been so popular they are now going to make another series, can't wait.

Silly's the word, but they do it very well!

(I thought I'd finished it but then found I had a few more to go 'til the end of the heist proper - great fun and very charming. A second series is intriguing...)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New series of "True Detective" starts on HBO this Sunday. I found the previous 2 series very enjoyable.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Anyone watching The Sinner on Netflix? Originally conceived as a stand alone eight part serious but so good the made series 2.

Young mum inexplicably stabs a man to death in broad daylight. We go back to work out why with detective dealing with his own demons.

Binged it. Jessica Biel very watchable in a role that is very nuanced.

Apols if already covered.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Anyone watching The Sinner on Netflix? Originally conceived as a stand alone eight part serious but so good the made series 2.

Young mum inexplicably stabs a man to death in broad daylight. We go back to work out why with detective dealing with his own demons.

Yeah, we binged series 1. Liked it a lot.

Cheers [MENTION=10885]Lyndhurst 14[/MENTION]. Hope its closer to series 1 than 2 though.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

It's good innit? The second to last episode was stupidly tense. Reminded me a bit of Big Little Lies in a way - adapted from a novel, took its time to tell a complex story with a clever ending.

Which is a bit like Counterpart, which I started this evening and really have to go to bed after 4 straight episodes. JK Simmons is tremendous and it's *really* worth not finding out a summary of the plot before you watch it as things are explained swiftly but continue to be expanded upon. It smacks of Killing Eve production-wise, with a predominately European cast with an American big hitter as the lead. So far, it's really working.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not US, but good old Welsh.

Was recommended this tense, jury based Christie style thingy.

On iPlayer, first two have been really good and promises good viewing for the future episodes.

35HOURS.jpg

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Killing Eve - my favourite series of the year. Highly recommended. Just started Castle Rock which looks very good.
This year my favourite channel is Amazon....my saving The Expanse!

Just binged The Expanse S1. Really good. Halfway through S2. Was on SyFy but now available on Amazon Prime.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watched episodes 1 and 2 last night. Excellent and bubbling nicely.

Don't know any of the actors apart from Brad Dourif, but they are all giving great performances especially the actress playing the teacher. Watching episode 3 tonight

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unfortunately I slept through many parts of 'Evil Genius' on Netflix
I quite enjoyed it although the homes these 'geniuses' lived in were considerably more scary than the crimes they committed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here