Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March untouchable ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Have always had time for him. His lesser performances recently have been at no 10 - out of position and so maybe not his fault.

But I seems to me that:

1. He will always put in a shift.
2. he certainly has his moments as a good and skilful player
3. He can put in some sterling defensive work as well.

Is he perhaps less skilful and creative than Izquierdo or Knockaert, but more consistent and reliable?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think a lot of people wrote him off prematurely but still have to point out one good game doesn't make a season's contribution. Part of the issues is CH's lack of tactical substitutions and not taking off players when they are not doing well in a particular game so we should be interchanging the 4 wingers much more regularly within games.

Izquierdo seemed to get a bit of a slagging in a number of threads but to me he was no better/worse than others. He scares the sh8t out of defences , see how they try to close him down. His decision making is poor but lets face it he scored two of theh best goals last season and always is willing to have a pop at goal something our midfielders shy from..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What impressed me most about him last night was his interview on BBC Sussex just after the game. He was exhausted, he was really struggling to get the words out, he sounded like a marathon runner post race; he clearly left everything out on the pitch.

We should be very proud of our Sussex boy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What impressed me most about him last night was his interview on BBC Sussex just after the game. He was exhausted, he was really struggling to get the words out, he sounded like a marathon runner post race; he clearly left everything out on the pitch.

His fitness levels were incredible. Having to work extra being a man down, he was never beaten for pace, with CP and Albion players flagging.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Adrian Durham was talking about him as a future England prospect on TalkSport earlier.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He got the goal against Wigan that sealed our promotion, so when the new PL shirts came out later that summer, MARCH 20 was what I had put on the back of my shirt. I'm still proud of having that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

And he had Zaha raking his achilles as well, which must have hurt.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Probably been said already, but I find his defensive work absolutely staggering. Will never forget him up against Oliver Burke in WBA home game last year, matched him for pace and had him in his back pocket.
He'll end up being a left back. And a brilliant one.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Both his assists were left-footed crosses.....March hasn’t got much of a right foot at all.
That's what frustrates me about him. Although, he more than makes up for his lack of a right foot with his left...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My misgivings about him were mainly about an apparent lack of faith in his own ability. At his best (creating Knockaert's goal at Birmingham or Gross's first against West Brom) he can drift past opponents with ease but too often has seemed unwilling to take players on. But his sudden knack for finding or creating pockets of space in which to cross the ball has been just as valuable. Add that to his willingness to work back and it's not surprising that CH always plays him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Mentioned by Adrian Durham as someone who Southgate should be looking at!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does he get an assist for Balogan's goal last night, or does the flick off the defender's head stop that?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Probably been said already, but I find his defensive work absolutely staggering. Will never forget him up against Oliver Burke in WBA home game last year, matched him for pace and had him in his back pocket.

He is brilliant defensively.

One of the big positives for me from Tuesday night was also the way he and Montoya worked together. It looked like they’d played together for a long time yet as far as I remember that was their first game as a pair on the right. That has real promise for the future.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does he get an assist for Balogan's goal last night, or does the flick off the defender's head stop that?

I'm sure the assist has been given, he's now joint 6th in the PL (he was joint 4th before last nights games)

Edit: Although whoscored.com don't show an assist and have him on 5 in total but only list four of them v Everton, v Cardiff and two v Hudds

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm a fan. I think he's been good to very good for quite a few games now. But his best position has always been on the right and the last three games have shown that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here