Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Mark Field

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To prove your point, 'Stasi' is trending on twitter.

Apparently BoJo got into a rumpus at home, last night, the neighbours (Stasi) reported it to the police and ...

...The Guardian.

Difficult to know what point is being proven. Net outcome is that it is not a police matter but the Guardian has a story. I can only imagine the outrage from the Corbynystas if he had been involved and the Telegraph had the story. I would be agreeing with them if it were Corbyn. I wonder what their view is given it is Johnson.
Maybe the point is the partisan,childish nature of political debate.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
To prove your point, 'Stasi' is trending on twitter.

Apparently BoJo got into a rumpus at home, last night, the neighbours (Stasi) reported it to the police and ...

...The Guardian.

To be fair, though, it was on the front page of just about every national newspaper!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I thought we were talking about the aggressive contempt some have for people with different opinions. I agree with you about Farage’s poster. However,in my view, the debate about Turkey was legitimate given the enormous changes that had taken place between 1975 and 2016. Do you see ? There is a respectable opinion to be engaged with rather than dismissed and the style in which you engage does matter. Unchecked lies and false claims ? Just like fake news that has been going on for all of time.
If we all want an atmosphere of civil discourse in our politics then people need to stop exaggerating to make a point and sometimes accept that we agree with our opponent rather than just branding them a stupid, racist liar. If you don’t seek a middle ground then you will get extremes. It really is that simple.

I don't for a minute believe that Turkey were ever in the frame to join the EU. They are occupying Northern Cyprus, Greece would never agree to Turkey joining, and, under EU rules,all 28 countries have to agree to it.

I was in a NATO squadron in the Med, with a Greek Navy ship, and a Turkish Navy ship, they had to be berthed at the opposite end of whatever dockyard we went to because their animosity to each other was so toxic, and, their crews weren't allowed ashore on the same days.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was in a NATO squadron in the Med, with a Greek Navy ship, and a Turkish Navy ship, they had to be berthed at the opposite end of whatever dockyard we went to because their animosity to each other was so toxic, and, their crews weren't allowed ashore on the same days.

Seeing as Greece have been blocking Northern Macedonia from joining the EU for a few decades just because they don’t like their name, we’re unlikely to see Turkey join in any of our lifetimes. This veto thing is pretty powerful, another reason why they’ll never be an EU army (although when Trump pulls the US out of NATO, it might be a good idea to set one up).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Seeing as Greece have been blocking Northern Macedonia from joining the EU for a few decades just because they don’t like their name, we’re unlikely to see Turkey join in any of our lifetimes. This veto thing is pretty powerful, another reason why they’ll never be an EU army (although when Trump pulls the US out of NATO, it might be a good idea to set one up).

Seeing as well that no EU member state ever wanted Turkey to join and Angela Merkel herself, the Brexiteers devil woman no less, said the best Turkey would ever get was 'privileged partner status'. Never mind - it's The EU - it's the root of all our evil so we mustn't let facts like that and that all other EU states are just like-minded, western, democratic countries that seek international co-operation with their neighbours and instead just spin it as politically correct, virtue signaling, Guardian reading, social justice warrior nonsense that means pubs must open all day on a Sunday as well as shops, like our right wing press have been doing for decades - it's all just political correctness gone mad...............

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't for a minute believe that Turkey were ever in the frame to join the EU. They are occupying Northern Cyprus, Greece would never agree to Turkey joining, and, under EU rules,all 28 countries have to agree to it.

I agree completely as of 2016 but the referendum was a once in a lifetime vote. There can be no guarantee as to Turkey’s future status. As to animosity between the two; luckily that is mainly political rather than a universal hatred amongst ordinary people (in my experience anyway).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree completely as of 2016 but the referendum was a once in a lifetime vote. There can be no guarantee as to Turkey’s future status. As to animosity between the two; luckily that is mainly political rather than a universal hatred amongst ordinary people (in my experience anyway).

I've voted in two European referendums so I will disagree with you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Official Leave literature I received (and scanned and posted on NSC) said Turkey were definitely soon to join, and that various other preposterous nations were poised to follow. That is a far cry from failing to rule out Turkey joining. I can't rule out the possibility I have cannibal ancestors, but it would probably be wrong for you to claim, as a consequence, that I am definitely on my way over to eat you*.

Nevertheless, I admire your Borisian approach to the use of whatiffery to inform partial and bogus inference.

*I am, though, actually, though, on my way :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here