Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Cashflow

This I agree with - people under-estimate how highly Hughton is thought of - and if this was six months ago Hughton would have walked into the Ireland job.

Someone else who thinks that Hughton doesn't know how to play attacking football.

And of course he did that when he had Newcastle in the top half of the PL.

The average age of his starting 11 at Newcastle was 23-24

What he said

Ashley - no - and if it was Ashley absolutely not.

Now that is a pertinent question.

And that was the case right up to the moment he was sacked.

Hughton has always looked on his job as a long-term commitment - it is the nature of the guy.

Quote - the average Premier League manager will coach in the top flight for less than two and a half years (91 games), coaching two different sides and winning only a third of his games, minus a trophy.

I admire your defence if Chris mate - But he doesn't need defending. His legacy defends itself. He has had 4 full seasons in the Championship and never been below 3rd at the end of the season as a Manager - Let it go. There is no mileage in this. Time to move on. He has his integrity and status ''in tact'' wherever he has been. To start to disagree with people on a football forum is only going to get people's backs up.

I get that you want to support him but to cause conflict will only bring out negativity. The man is a Gentleman and a good Manager. His ''Legacy'' at Brighton is a positive one so let it remain so.

Cheers Buddy

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Legend and will get a good job. But why should he rush into something that's not got prospects. The teams he's taken recently like us, Newcastle and Norwich were all attractive at the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I admire your defence if Chris mate - But he doesn't need defending. His legacy defends itself. He has had 4 full seasons in the Championship and never been below 3rd at the end of the season as a Manager - Let it go. There is no mileage in this. Time to move on. He has his integrity and status ''in tact'' wherever he has been. To start to disagree with people on a football forum is only going to get people's backs up.

I get that you want to support him but to cause conflict will only bring out negativity. The man is a Gentleman and a good Manager. His ''Legacy'' at Brighton is a positive one so let it remain so.

Cheers Buddy

Jolly Red Giant isn't a Brighton fan.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Legend and will get a good job. But why should he rush into something that's not got prospects. The teams he's taken recently like us, Newcastle and Norwich were all attractive at the time.

Point of order, he was at Newcastle as a coach and was promoted to the top job, his first Managerial position, as caretaker manager at first. He then went to Birmingham after his dismissal from Newcastle, which is the only side he has managed that you didn't mention.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Cheers Buddy

Point of order, he finished 4th with Birmingham City, but he did have Europa League Football to fit in as well.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
It doesn't work quite like that for most managers, 90% of managers have a contract with a termination clause which generally equals 1 years salary. Chelski were a naive exception to this rule along with a few others. Chris won't be at the begging bowl but neither will he be sat on a two year payout.

Brother Henry was last reported driving a bus out of a garage in Croydon, maybe he could wangle Chris a shift or two...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
:bowdown:

Another person jumping to conclusions

I get the feeling you might be a fan of Newcastle or at least someone in your family is a Newcastle fan. Just some of the things you know about his time at Newcastle makes me think that. Only people who had seen some of the things during his time there would know what you know

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I get the feeling you might be a fan of Newcastle or at least someone in your family is a Newcastle fan. Just some of the things you know about his time at Newcastle makes me think that. Only people who had seen some of the things during his time there would know what you know

I am Irish - I take a deep interest in anything to do with the Irish international team and have done for a long, long time. Chris Hughton was a fantastic servant for Ireland - a consummate professional and the first black (actually mixed race) player to play for Ireland. He is one of my two all-time favourite Irish players. I mentioned before that I lived around the corner from where his mother was born. I would have similar in-depth knowledge of any Irish international over the past 50 years (and many players older than that) - and you may have noticed that I have been keeping tabs on Molumby and Connolly while they have been playing for Ireland recently. Chris Hughton was a very under-rated footballer, skillful, intelligent and a team player - he is also a very under-rated manager - might have something to do with his calm demeanour and humility.

In case you are interested - a photo of a 6 year-old Chris Hughton from a local newspaper while he was on a visit to his mother's family (he's the one in the middle).

chris.jpg

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If you consider how few managers have ever won the premier league to see Mourinho, Wenger & Ranieri all unemployed and the likes of Allardyce, Hughes, Moyes & Pardew still out of work tells me Hughton is in no need to panic about being unemployed 4 weeks after leaving Brighton

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
As an interesting aside - while I am talking about Irish internationals - come across a story a while back about a trial for a young Irish player arranged with Brighton by Paul McCarthy while he was a player there. The young fella played for the same youth team in Ireland as McCarthy - but the trial was cancelled because Brighton thought the kid was too small to become a professional footballer - his name - Roy Keane.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As an interesting aside - while I am talking about Irish internationals - come across a story a while back about a trial for a young Irish player arranged with Brighton by Paul McCarthy while he was a player there. The young fella played for the same youth team in Ireland as McCarthy - but the trial was cancelled because Brighton thought the kid was too small to become a professional footballer - his name - Roy Keane.

When are the fixtures out?

Paul Mc Carthy - RIP

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In case you are interested - a photo of a 6 year-old Chris Hughton from a local newspaper while he was on a visit to his mother's family (he's the one in the middle).

View attachment 111776

You can see even at that age, he's thinking these are a good family, and to show respect.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
When he does get hired, probably in the Championship, which Brighton players will he be in for?

Hemed and Kayal would improve most Championship teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here