Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender **SIGNED and LOANED to DERBY**

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Matt Clarke- Portsmouth defender rumour

Potter played 3 at the back a handful of times last season. He might be considering that for 19/20 but idea that’s its likely and Clarke is going straight into the starting 11 is quite the assumption.

Potter changes his formations regularly. Looking at his time at Östersunds FK, he was playing a back 3 at least half of the time. He clearly needs ball playing centre halfs in his back 3s so it’s not unreasonable to assume that Clarke might be straight in as that seems to be his USP. However, I’d assume he’d be somewhat down the pecking order in a back 4.

Last edited:

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Having depth in our squad is also crucial to our survival chances.

Don't disagree but having 5 centre backs when, probably come the first day of training, we lack a RB, have lost two of our most creative players to injury and are still reliant on a 104 year old centre forward, with no pace there or in midfield, will, I feel rather hamper the new mangers chances of getting his system across. Unless we are , of course, continuing in the 9 -0 -1 formation we used latterly last year. Hence my Meh to this

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Understand Matt Clarke deal is around £4.7m initially, rising to £6.7m with add-ons. 20% sell-on fee too. Brighton were the only club with real interest and will reward the talented defender with circa £20k per week. - taken from Pompeynewsnow on Twitter.

How much?!
That's double the amount Duffy cost!
For a 3rd/4th choice CB from League 1?

Deary me.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Was it Oscar Wilde who said “a fool is someone who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing”.......?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
How much?!
That's double the amount Duffy cost!
For a 3rd/4th choice CB from League 1?

Deary me.

Before quoting this, best check the latest information which is basically that we're NOT paying that amount at all. But carry on with your agenda.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well if Potter sees videos from last season then obviously yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he did okay initially and against Palace, but admittedly was poor vs WBA, and in another game (?Arsenal)....

Always hard coming into the PL from another league (see Bernardo) and even harder when you’re on the bench.

Think he’s okay and likely to be more prepared than a player coming from
league 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
decent signing for us

Let’s face it , we are very likely to go down this season and this guy hasn’t broken the bank and would stay should the worse happens . Certainly would look good to be a performer for a top championship side and at age 22 is well worth the relatively low cost prem gamble .

I like this signing a lot

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Don't disagree but having 5 centre backs when, probably come the first day of training, we lack a RB, have lost two of our most creative players to injury and are still reliant on a 104 year old centre forward, with no pace there or in midfield, will, I feel rather hamper the new mangers chances of getting his system across. Unless we are , of course, continuing in the 9 -0 -1 formation we used latterly last year. Hence my Meh to this

Yes. I think we have a manager who can cope with the idea, same as with every other club, that not all our new signings will be in place before the first day of training.
And that signing a defender doesn't mean we can't also sign a midfielder or right back or a striker further down the line.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
decent signing for us

Let’s face it , we are very likely to go down this season and this guy hasn’t broken the bank and would stay should the worse happens . Certainly would look good to be a performer for a top championship side and at age 22 is well worth the relatively low cost prem gamble .

Mmm I think that's 1) disingenuous to Bloom, and 2) unfair to the player.
Bloom didn't get a new manager to get relegated. He could've stayed with the exiting one if he thought Potter couldn't do a better job than Burnley, Sheffield United and (insert someone else that will surprisingly hit the skids this year). Potter has a history of improving players, and if the club has bought someone that they think can be a Premier league player, or at least improve enough to sell on I doubt they'd buy him.

Unless I'm being terribly naive. If so, why not just buy a teamload of shite and look forward to Saturday 3pms.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Before quoting this, best check the latest information which is basically that we're NOT paying that amount at all. But carry on with your agenda.

Ha! It was your post that detailed those nonsense amounts!
Don't put out crap info if you don't want people quoting it.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Ha! It was your post that detailed those nonsense amounts!
Don't put out crap info if you don't want people quoting it.

It was the info that was in Twitter at the time, if you bothered to read the rest of the thread you could see it got superceded.
If everybody didn't put "crap" info in NSC it would be a very quiet place ;)

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
It was the info that was in Twitter at the time, if you bothered to read the rest of the thread you could see it got superceded.

This. Crap info in NSC.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
decent signing for us

If you start signing players on the basis that they'll be decent in the Championship then you might as well give up.

The bookies have us 2/1 for relegation with Sheff Utd, Burnley and Norwich below us. I don't call that "very likely to go down this season".

I'm pleased we've signed Clarke because I think he's an upgrade on Balogun.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm not sure what you can base that on. Balogun has spent the majority of his career in the Bundesliga, and has played for his country nearly 30 times including at the African Nations and a World Cup.

Clarke might be a decent enough prospect, but all has faced in his career so far is the likes of Rochdale, Gillingham and Accrington in the noddy leagues. The most fearsome team he's come up against so far is Luton Town.

Given time he might be ok, but he's got an awful lot to prove. The step-up from the third division to the Premier League is not one I've seen many centrebacks pull off.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

If there was no crap on NSC, then there'd be no TSB. Might be nice actually.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
decent signing for us

I know your answer is slightly tongue in cheek but the idea that he wouldn't be attracting the interest of multiple Prem clubs if we go down and he has a decent season next year (perhaps due to injuries) is hardly that outlandish.
As for buying players in case we're relegated further down the line - yes - i'm certain all our spending is done with that in mind. Its what sensible clubs outside of the top 6 do routinely. (relegation clauses, investing in academy, relatively - its the prem league - cautious spending on fees/wages) .

But come off it. We're after him because he presumably represents a vfm investment in a player with premier league potential not because we've one eye on relegation.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
If you start signing players on the basis that they'll be decent in the Championship then you might as well give up.

The bookies have us 2/1 for relegation with Sheff Utd, Burnley and Norwich below us. I don't call that "very likely to go down this season".

Balogun played 2 good games against Man Utd and Liverpool away at the beginning of last season when Dunk got injured , and deserved to keep his place , but CH could not wait to get Dunk back in the team and came back against Fulham at home , and had an awful game , no wonder Balogun performances went downhill after the way he was treated after 2 good performances

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here