Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you watching and enjoying the Women’s World Cup?

Are you watching the Women’s World Cup?

• Total voters

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Our keeper has just saved a ball kicked softly at her. Commentators saying how well she did to keep her concentration at this stage of the match.

Had the history of Le Havre a few minutes ago

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Our keeper has just saved a ball kicked softly at her. Commentators saying how well she did to keep her concentration at this stage of the match.

You are being a little disingenuous there. It wasn’t softly hit - it was coming at her low and she made a routine save but in the context of the match where she has had nothing to do for 70 minutes this was an example of excellent goal keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You are being a little disingenuous there. It wasn’t softly hit - it was coming at her low and she made a routine save but in the context of the match where she has had nothing to do for 70 minutes this was an example of excellent goal keeping.

You say it was a routine save then describe it as excellent keeping. I’ll go with the former.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008

Please challenge my observations

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
You say it was a routine save then describe it as excellent keeping. I’ll go with the former.

The excellent keeping is the ability to male the save when you have been basically a spectator for 70 minutes. Goal keeping isn’t all about making spectacular saves it is about doing the “routine” stuff well - stuff that people don’t remember when it is done right.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Are you suggesting her mind might have focused of thinking about how big the ironing pile is at home ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Pleased for Taylor's confidence that she got the tap-in having missed the penalty follow-up and also a clear free header just before.

A win's a win and all that along with qualification (which was never really in doubt), but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

An odd goal win over Argentina who 3 years ago had no team, no coach and no fixtures and who are currently ranked #37. Thailand are ranked #34.

Let's see if England can step up the quality for the Japan game as it was a tough watch at times.

They'll need to win the group in order to avoid Canada or Netherlands in the last 16.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Decided that I wouldn't watch any of it 'cos it would be rubbish. Then decided to give the second half of this evening's game a chance. And it was rubbish. Frankly I'd rather watch Crawley in League 2. That'll be it for me as far as women's football is concerned. Stick to netball girls.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Are you suggesting her mind might have focused of thinking about how big the ironing pile is at home ?

If you are being ironic then fair play - if you really stand by that sentiment then my god you really need to improve your sense of humour. It is like tuning into a really boring re run of a 70's sitcom.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Decided that I wouldn't watch any of it 'cos it would be rubbish. Then decided to give the second half of this evening's game a chance. And it was rubbish. Frankly I'd rather watch Crawley in League 2. That'll be it for me as far as women's football is concerned. Stick to netball girls.

Oh well - bye then.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Pleased for Taylor's confidence that she got the tap-in having missed the penalty follow-up and also a clear free header just before.

A win's a win and all that along with qualification (which was never really in doubt), but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

An odd goal win over Argentina who 3 years ago had no team, no coach and no fixtures and who are currently ranked #37. Thailand are ranked #34.

Let's see if England can step up the quality for the Japan game as it was a tough watch at times.

They'll need to win the group in order to avoid Canada or Netherlands in the last 16.

I hope it is defining game of the campaign .
like you say a win is a win

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I hope it is defining game of the campaign .
like you say a win is a win

That, no injuries and Taylor finally scoring a goal are about the only positives from the game.

They'll need to show a lot more now. Let's hope they can.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
That, no injuries and Taylor finally scoring a goal are about the only positives from the game.

They'll need to show a lot more now. Let's hope they can.

Agree. I think Fran Kirby's confidence is a bit shot. France look the favourites to me.
Hopefully we will grow into the tournament

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Oh good we won’t have to put up with your inane posts ta ta

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Agree. I think Fran Kirby's confidence is a bit shot. France look the favourites to me.

Tough day for her as according to the BBC it was the anniversary of her mum's death. Thought she had a decent game considering.

Difficult to look past the holders and #1 seed USA at the moment, but the host nation might just see 1998 all over again.

If the teams progress as they are seeded, it'll be USA (1) v France (4) in the QF with the winners playing England (3) in the SF, then Germany (2) in the Final.

England v Germany in the Women's World Cup Final? Now that might just help to raise the profile of the women's game at home somewhat...

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Tough day for her as according to the BBC it was the anniversary of her mum's death. Thought she had a decent game considering.

Difficult to look past the holders and #1 seed USA at the moment, but the host nation might just see 1998 all over again.

If the teams progress to the QFs as they are seeded, it'll be USA (1) v France (4) in the QF with the winners playing England (3) in the SF, then Germany (2) in the Final.

England v Germany in the Women's World Cup Final? Now that might just help to raise the profile of the women's game at home...

It will be interesting to see how the USA will do against better opposition. Listening to Hope Solo on TV the other day she felt that the USA team have some major faults that have been papered over.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Find some of the sexists comments a bit churlish , its not as if the men's game is brilliant entertainment every match.

The difference between the men's and women's game can be broken into two main points
a) women's game is more about kicking the ball rather than physical strength
b) women's game has a lot less cheating i.e players rolling around and deliberate time wasting

The ball played in by Mead for the England goal was brilliant at any level.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here