Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Chernobyl - TV series

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haven't see any of this yet (just read this thread only) but how much is fiction, and how much is fact.. ?

I'm intrigued to compare it's 'facts' to the film Pandora's Promise (which I know was funded by the pro-nuclear lobby) but raised some interesting points like the Chernobyl reactor was pretty much housed in B+Q warehouse building, and like [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] quoted a 31 deaths figure (which PP also says is the EU/WHO official figure)

Thats the point - the "official" death toll they gave of 31 was utterly ridiculous. The true number of casualties will never be known, the after-effects have spanned decades. But you can be certain that countless thousands had their lives drastically cut short by the disaster. The after-effects on so many victims are incalculable.

A disgusting, but entirely predictable cover-up by what amounts to a rogue state. They still are.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
An outstanding series. Not just a telling of the events but an insight into the communist mindset.
I’d only repeat what’s already been said on this thread but agree with the praise.
Jared Harris is such a good actor. That face, the conflict and resulting pain just etched into his features. And I admire him for the fact that he has never played up to who his Father was. He has just slowly and steadily built his own career.
Landmark television. Very, very good indeed.

Just watched the final episode ....powerful stuff...and then they hit you with that closing bit ..and you sit there gobsmacked

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'd just like to second Stat Brother's endorsement of the podcast. Listened to the first couple of episodes this morning. Fascinating stuff that really does help put some meat on the bones of the wider story. Well worth a listen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tried to get Mrs TC to watch this last night. Talked all the way through then went to bed halfway through 2nd episode. Birds.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd just like to second Stat Brother's endorsement of the podcast. Listened to the first couple of episodes this morning. Fascinating stuff that really does help put some meat on the bones of the wider story. Well worth a listen.

It’s great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tried to get Mrs TC to watch this last night. Talked all the way through then went to bed halfway through 2nd episode. Birds.

Yup. Mine spent most of it pissing about on her phone, then went and done the washing.

Eastenders though...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
EASTENDERS! That's where I'd seen the miner foreman before!

I posted this pages ago. He got smacked round the noggin with a steam iron by little Mo when she’d had enough of him lobbing ashtrays at her head and scowling at her in the pub.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I posted this pages ago. He got smacked round the noggin with a steam iron by little Mo when she’d had enough of him lobbing ashtrays at her head and scowling at her in the pub.

Yeah that's the fella. Sorry, missed your post. I've been avoiding this thread as I only finished the series last night. Behind the times!

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
ED872A1E-EC1C-4FBF-9676-0848BA2A3954.jpeg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Tomorrow (Tuesday 18) night on Sky Atlantic (maybe other places too??) - The Real Chernobyl. Billed as a "companion piece" to the HBO mini-series, it's a one-part documentary showing original footage of the real place and events. The trailer includes the real footage of the blokes running out onto the roof to shovel the graphite into the reactor. Jesus.

Compulsory viewing (somehow) if you liked the HBO series, I'd have thought.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just finished this, compelling to say the least and magnificently filmed

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not very often you get almost complete consensus on a TV series being absolutely brilliant is it (especially on here).

I went into it with zero expectations, not having heard any hype, but having seen the trailers and carrying a mild interest in the subject just hoping it might fill some gaps in my knowledge. Bloody hell, it certainly did that alright, and more. Possibly the most gripping piece of TV I can remember watching.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Coming to this a bit late having watched all 5 episodes in 4 evenings on the recommendation of, well, just about everyone. It's as good as everyone said.

It's not only the depiction of the events themselves, but the courage of all the people who volunteered to do all the dangerous things, even though they knew the dangers.

But then the "show" trial in the final episode, where Legasov told the Truth and really blamed the Soviet State. I was not surprised when the texts put up at the end included Gorbachev saying that he thought the Chernobyl Disaster hastened the break-up of the Soviet Union.

But the whole thing superbly done throughout - filmed, written, acted - superb.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
If anyone's interest is increased sufficiently, a two day trip to Chernobyl is (honestly) the experience of a lifetime. I went a year ago (see images) and would highly recommend. Don't go for one day tour - it is eight hour round trip; you spend about three hours there and see a tiny fraction of two day experience.

The series is an accurate reflection of what is known about Chernobyl (several people have tried to piece it together). What the visit does is irrefutably take you back to moment in time and space when the state knew best, yet had to abandon the 'dream' in rapid time leaving exercise books on the desks, gym equipment ready for use, maternity wards ready with equipment, chillers with trolleys alongside (Pripyat was apparently one of first place in Soviet Union to boast a supermarket). It is all quite chilling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here