Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2019

Streetlight

May 16, 2016
New PAWS album drops on Friday. Totally different from the 'minimalist garage punk' sound of the previous record. Much more Frightened Rabbits - who I believe they were real close friends with. Album (understandably) deals with, amongst other things, grief and loss, partly down to the sad events with Scott Hutchison. Definitely worth checking out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]

New Loyle Carner album dropped today. Liked all 3 singles off it and there’s some good features on there including Tom Misch. About to give it a listen, hope it’s as good as Yesterday’s Gone. He’s also recently had a feature on an Ezra Collective track which is pretty damn special too.

It's a wonderful album. He is a poet, and he is clearly a lovely bloke, so emotionally switched on.

Are you enjoying it, [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
2 must haves out tomorrow, Billie Marten and SOAK.

BM.jpg SOAK.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] is a fan of Marissa Nadler, she has an excellent new album out with a guy called Stephen Brodsky. It, and they, are called Droneflower. Highly recommended.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix can be found here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-45/

Tracklisting:
1. The Claque - Hush
2. Black Midi - Talking Heads
3. Drahla - Pyramid Estate
4. Constant Mongrel - Experts In Skin
5. Amyl & the Sniffers - Got You
6. Gazelle Twin - Fool
7. 9T Antiope - The Cruel, Appalling, Sediment Of Death
8. Loraine James - Bite Me Bit
9. Zamilska - Hollow
10. Bad News For Cosmos - Sharp As A Wave
11. Red Channel - Demons
12. Machine Woman - Have You Been To Salford Shopping Centre, Have You Seen Argos?
13. Bodikhuu - Turtle Race
14. Marika Untersprecht - Bitter End
15. Kitty - Counting All The Starfish
16. Le SUPERHOMARD - Back To Meadow Lane
17. FKA Twigs - Cellophane

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Quite a good output day today, if a little Radio 2.

Thea Gilmore's latest is possibly her best yet, and Kate Rusby continues to sing beautifully.

The sublime Erland Cooper, with his Scottish Isle ponderings after his recent efforts with the likes of Paul Weller, gives us yet another special offering.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Enjoying the new Clinic album. Been a bit of a wait but well worth it.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Slowthai has lived up to the hype with his debut album; Nothing Great About Britain.

Old school punk energy pushed through a modern Hip-Hop filter.

Very happy I got tickets for his tour. Especially as he sold them all for 99p a pop.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It's a wonderful album. He is a poet, and he is clearly a lovely bloke, so emotionally switched on.

Are you enjoying it, [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]?

I’m loving it! I don’t think it quite reaches the heights of Psychodrama; but that’s a high bar. Loose Ends with Jorja Smith is my favourite track this year though. It’s a beautiful single on a brilliant album

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I was recommended V by Budos Band, and I'm delighted I was. It's from 2018, so shouldn't strictly be on this thread, but it deserves a mention. One for [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION], I reckon, and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] might approve too.
The Hen Ogledd has a few cracking tunes on it, and is wonderfully weird but, as a whole, it doesn't do it. Much better to see them live.
Big Thief is another new one to me, and UFOF is a delight. Beautiful folk with a few moments of malevolence. The Mrs thinks it sounds like Kate Bush.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Well, I was recommended V by Budos Band, and I'm delighted I was. It's from 2018, so shouldn't strictly be on this thread, but it deserves a mention. One for @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=3076" target="_blank">redoubtable seagull</a></u>, I reckon, and @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=409" target="_blank">Herr Tubthumper</a></u> might approve too.
The Hen Ogledd has a few cracking tunes on it, and is wonderfully weird but, as a whole, it doesn't do it. Much better to see them live.
Big Thief is another new one to me, and UFOF is a delight. Beautiful folk with a few moments of malevolence. The Mrs thinks it sounds like Kate Bush.

Oh the joy of a stress-free non-football day listening to music and dropping into NSC. Thanks for the Budos Band tip. Am listening now and there’s much to enjoy.

I’m also listening to the new Big Brave ‘A Gaze Among Them‘ album in readiness for the show in Brighton on the 28th.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, I was recommended V by Budos Band, and I'm delighted I was. It's from 2018, so shouldn't strictly be on this thread, but it deserves a mention. One for [MENTION=3076]redoubtable seagull[/MENTION], I reckon, and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] might approve too.

I also enjoy The Budos Band - fantastic album, and I would love to see them play it live.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I also enjoy The Budos Band - fantastic album, and I would love to see them play it live.

Indeed. Ideally with as many of them as possible. On which, I'm really looking to seeing Crack Cloud at End of the Road Festival. Should be suitably chaotic with all sorts of noise going on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not content with production credits on one of my favourite tracks of the year - Deerhunter's 'Death In Midsummer,' Cate Le Bon releases her new album this Friday. Previous effort 'Crab Day' still gets a weekly airing round these parts.

A couple of the tracks released already are mighty good. Feels like it might be her most accessible record to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduOTMn9dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Xsu1q3cAw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here