Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hughton to West Brom

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
According to this piece in the Telegraph he might have a bit of work to do in the squad re-building department...

West Brom are preparing for a second season outside the Premier League and are expecting a summer of changes, with a number of players set to be sold.

Jay Rodriguez, Craig Dawson, Ahmed Hegazi, Matt Phillips, Jake Livermore and Kieran Gibbs could all leave, after pledging their futures to the club for an extra year last summer.

Loan stars Dwight Gayle, Jacob Murphy, Mason Holgate, Stefan Johansen, Jefferson Montero and Tosin Adarabioyo will also return to their parent clubs.

Albion sources insist money will be spent, however, as they target young hungry players to build a new squad capable of a promotion challenge.

Matt Phillips & Kieran Gibbs could be useful additions

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Matt Phillips & Kieran Gibbs could be useful additions

Hmm...

I confess to basing this only on last night's play off against Aston Villa, but I thought Kieran Gibbs was absolutely awful. I was surprised how bad he was, as I used to think he was a prospect.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
According to this piece in the Telegraph he might have a bit of work to do in the squad re-building department...

West Brom are preparing for a second season outside the Premier League and are expecting a summer of changes, with a number of players set to be sold.

Jay Rodriguez, Craig Dawson, Ahmed Hegazi, Matt Phillips, Jake Livermore and Kieran Gibbs could all leave, after pledging their futures to the club for an extra year last summer.

Loan stars Dwight Gayle, Jacob Murphy, Mason Holgate, Stefan Johansen, Jefferson Montero and Tosin Adarabioyo will also return to their parent clubs.

Albion sources insist money will be spent, however, as they target young hungry players to build a new squad capable of a promotion challenge.

In truth though, Hegazi is a joke so "losing" him would be no loss at all. Rodrgiuez, Dawson, Phillips (in particular) and Livermore are all good players but I don't see them culling the lot of them. Gibbs is now, and always has been, hilariously overrated. He's a Championship left back in a similar way to how Knockaert is a Championship winger. Probably too good for that level, but below the standard of the Premier League. Unless you want to finish comfortably in the bottom 3.

There's work to be done, for sure. Money will be invested and they'll snap up a few young players as well, Hughton is ideal to oversee that sort of turnover.

D

Deleted member 2719

There we are, everyone can relax now Chris is fine, Compo and a new club at his right LEVEL.

Let's all have a party.:banana::ascarf::bhasign::rave:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Everyone seems to be assuming this is a done deal - WBA haven't even arranged a meeting with Hughton yet.

Now there are upsides from his perspective - yes some players will be sold - but WBA do not have any debt (unlike Swansea for example) - so any money coming in would likely be available for new signings - and it could be upwards of £40million.

I suspect Hughton will take his time - and it wouldn't surprise me that he would look to have a clause in his contract that would offer him protection against getting sacked if he got WBA into the PL (and probably the same with Middlesbrough if he went there).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Everyone seems to be assuming this is a done deal - WBA haven't even arranged a meeting with Hughton yet.

Now there are upsides from his perspective - yes some players will be sold - but WBA do not have any debt (unlike Swansea for example) - so any money coming in would likely be available for new signings - and it could be upwards of £40million.

I suspect Hughton will take his time - and it wouldn't surprise me that he would look to have a clause in his contract that would offer him protection against getting sacked if he got WBA into the PL (and probably the same with Middlesbrough if he went there).

Do you really think any manager could get a no sack clause in his contract? Laughable

He may wrangle a no sack clause before the season has started, after that, no chance

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

[tweet]1128670756718743555[/tweet]

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Bloom and Barber would be delighted with this. The sooner he's in a job, the less compensation we'll ultimately end up paying him.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Bloom and Barber would be delighted with this. The sooner he's in a job, the less compensation we'll ultimately end up paying him.
Why so? It's not like there was a mutual agreement to his contract termination.

If I am sacked from my job today, why would I be required to pay back/forego compensation should I secure another job on the very same day?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Why so? It's not like there was a mutual agreement to his contract termination.

If I am sacked from my job today, why would I be required to pay back/forego compensation should I secure another job on the very same day?

I, too, would have thought that as we sacked him, we would be liable to pay up the remaining two years on his contract. Does anyone know the definitive answer to this question?

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
It was the next logical move for him. The core of the squad is very good, it's not a difficult job. All he really needs to do is get them organised and settle the team down. They have a big squad, packed with loan players. He's got a bit of work to do there, but it's a far easier job than he's inherited previously.

Let's hope his first piece of business is to snap up Knockaert and Bong in a £15million double deal!
Bong is too good for West Bromwich just to annoy. [emoji16]

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I, too, would have thought that as we sacked him, we would be liable to pay up the remaining two years on his contract. Does anyone know the definitive answer to this question?
I thought this. If you leave you forfite you the rest of your contract but if sacked it is paid up, in full.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure I've read of clubs who are 'still paying' 2 previous managers.

Which suggests that the ongoing salary continues to be paid - not a lump sum. Of course, a lump sum payoff could be negotiated on departure.

I've also read ( or imagined, I suppose ) that if a manager gets another job, it could reduce the ongoing payment amount.

At the end of the day, it no doubt depends on the contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here