Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No it doesn't, none of us have any knowledge of how it went.

Football is a results business, and our results and performances this year have been appalling. It's harsh, but football is a harsh game.

Find me anyone from Norwich who thinks 'Why did we ever think sacking him was a good idea?".

Time will tell whether it was the right call or not. Maybe it isn't, maybe it is. I think it is.

100% this. TB may be clinical, but has also always seemed to be pretty humanistic. I doubt Chris was accompanied back to his desk by HR and a security guard with a black bag to clear his desk (as other industries often do - mine included) and will have a decent cheque in his back pocket as he leaves Lancing this morning. Slightly surprised however, given his record with us, that this wasn't done 'by mutual consent' rather than a sacking. Perhaps CH was given the opportunity for that but didn't take it - we'll never know. TB is a massively successful businessman, has an acutely analytical brain and takes (carefully calculated) risks. Got to trust his (and those close to him) judgement on this - the stats will have hugely helped his decision.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Just seen this. I thought we were better then this as a club. Really really disappointed.

Why ? The team has been awful this year , CH is responsible for the team , sometime you have to take tough decisions , and much better making the decision now , rather than October or November,
CH has done a fantastic job, but we need to push on , and I am afraid CH is not that man to take us forward

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sacked. Not "left by mutual consent". that tells you all you need to know.

Our instinct is to defend our club at all times, but we are just like the rest of the clubs we've sneered at for treating people like garbage, and making stupid decisions thinking they are something more than they are.
It's no different to Hemed or Norwood being sacked. They both did us proud - got us promoted and did nothing wrong, but ultimately the boss had a tough decision to make, and thought we had a better chance in the PL without them. It's always the hardest decision for the boss letting players like that go, but it's not nasty, it's just trying to do what's best for the club. This is exactly the same. I hope Bloom has been as classy as Chris in the way he's handled it, because it's the very least Chris deserves. But if Bloom thinks we'll do better with a different manager, that's the decision he has to take.

Of course we may look back on today in a few months and wish the decision wasn't made. Or we might progress and look back and think it was the right decision. We'll see, but Bloom doesn't have hindsight, and has done what he thinks is right for the club.

D

Deleted member 22389

Bit gutted, Chris had premier League experience. The players need someone Who do we replace him with, who can we trust.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Wish we had known yesterday. Bit shoddy imo.

Agree that it would have been nice for us to show our appreciation and also agree to have the announcement so quickly was unexpected however, given his achievements and character when would have been a good time?

Does TB wait until well into the summer transfer window? Does he wait and see what happens next season? If it's anything like this season the mid season position would bear no relationship to the end position. If there is anything in the rumours about the dressing room and discipline does he let that go on the basis CH took us up? Does he wait until the supporters are waving "CH out" banners? Does he wait until CH's reputation with supporters and club is tarnished as a failure?

It's desperately sad and emotion says we stick with a decent man. I'd love CH to be staying but I can't see but when would losing CH be less shoddy?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Slightly surprised however, given his record with us, that this wasn't done 'by mutual consent' rather than a sacking. Perhaps CH was given the opportunity for that but didn't take it - we'll never know

Yep. I can't believe it was done without a degree of decorum.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I really hope Tony knows what he's doing.

Clearly the recruitment department need to know how the new man wants us to play.
So would hope Tony has someone lined up for this already.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I do wonder what goes through the mind of a football manager when sacked...particularly after such a long spell at one club where you have been hugely successful ..one day you are involved in a match that decides the title the next you are out the door and saying goodbye to the many many people you’ve got to know and spend so much time with....personally i’m gutted and will miss him greatly as manager of our football club (and his visits to the local M&S)......very sad day imho

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bit gutted, Chris had premier League experience. The players need someone Who do we replace him with, who can we trust.

The club will have a plan for this, It won't be an old has been. They'll have to be able to work with Ashworth and bring in young talent, You may not have heard of them. It might be a gamble becaue that's what Tony does.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I feel shocked at the swiftness of the decision and very sad it wasn't announced as a mutual decision.

I have a horrible feeling that we need to be careful what we wish for and will have just lost a lot of sympathy from the wider footballing community.

I wish Chris all the best, the greatest manager we have ever had.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was very wrong as I thought he had genuine backing from the top... i’m not sure this makes sense unless the next appointment is a real ‘name’ or a genuine young hot property. Beyond this if our transfer strategy remains uninspiring, how much better can we actually be?

Don’t get me wrong I was as frustrated by our form and tactical set up as anyone and felt we would probably go down next year... yet knew CH would have the capability to bring us back up. Bit shocked tbh.

Thanks to Chris. Farewell.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I felt it was the right time, as many will know. But I'm surprised we didn't announce it as a mutual parting before yesterday's game so we could all give him a send off at the ground.

Into the unknown though. Rightly or wrongly, I'm more excited for the coming season than I was yesterday. This next appointment is massive.

Maybe Chris didn’t want to go out like that, seems quite a private man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Incredible to think that Tony was prepared to stick with Hyppia, but has pulled the trigger on Hughton.

Different stakes in the premier league, clearly.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Thanks Chris. It's time.

My stupidly massively outside bet? The Lincoln City boys.
Yeah I know, but as I mentioned it to my friend a month ago I feel I need to get it off my chest, and it's all I have.
Tony likes gambling but probably not that crazy.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Incredible to think that Tony was prepared to stick with Hyppia, but has pulled the trigger on Hughton.

Different stakes in the premier league, clearly.

...or just a lesson learnt

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Funny how some of our fans seem to know better than a guy who is basically a genius and happens to have the best part of quarter of a billion invested in the club. There is no way he would have taken this decision lightly.

All this worrying about the next manager and worrying what fans of other clubs think of our club for having the balls to make the call is pathetic. It's exciting, a new era for the club is on the horizon- embrace it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here