Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stephens

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Most people with a footballing brain rate him, and have maintained as such. There's only a few dunces knocking around.

Calde himself told me the players rate Stephens. There is a reason why Dyche wanted to buy him so much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have to agree. If anyone was perplexed why Kayal hasn’t featured more - watch the first half back. Not that he was on his own in that regard, Izquierdo also doing his best to render a short lived attempt at 4-4-2 utterly shambolic. Only player I felt sorry for was Andone, the most fortunate was Izquierdo being allowed to keep his kit on at HT. You’re looking at Bissouma, March & Knocky 2nd half scratching your head how that wasn’t the starting XI

100% - But the 4-4-2, was strange, in that Gross found himself on the right, then Andone. Gross has such little pace, you might as well play AJ. (Doesn't say much for where he is in the pecking order).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
100% - But the 4-4-2, was strange, in that Gross found himself on the right, then Andone. Gross has such little pace, you might as well play AJ. (Doesn't say much for where he is in the pecking order).

Yep, as [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] said on another thread, if we were going 4-4-2, it had to be round pegs in round holes, not trying to make it work with players out of position, or others not in form.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
100% agree. He has been one of our better players this season but too many of our fans for some reason can't see what he brings to the team.
Pathetic how those with a vendetta against him can't even admit he played well 2nd half.
The contribution of these type of players often missed somehow. I remember the slatings Keith Andrews used to get, often when he had been the best player on the park.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep, as [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] said on another thread, if we were going 4-4-2, it had to be round pegs in round holes, not trying to make it work with players out of position, or others not in form.

Quite, I remain a Hughton supporter, but that starting 11 was mystifying. It was almost as if we had to start certain players no matter what....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No, you keep your shape, because if he had pressed, because of Kayal's positioning a different situation was likely to occur, as the player to Stephens immediate left runs in to the hole he has vacated - watch the goal back. The ball needed to be pressured but Andone needed to be harrying that player or even Gross, (but that would have left Richie free), to level the blame at Stephens is wrong IMO.

df28bbd1a7db2c6550dcf6ce18ee40a3.jpg

That is his ball to press and if he does and it is played to the left he still has Duffy behind him free of any player to close down a shot central to goal which is far less dangerous then letting someone pick out a player at the back post. Not solely Stephens fault but he has to press that ball IMO and if he does we do not concede

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

That is his ball to press and if he does and it is played to the left he still has Duffy behind him free of any player to close down a shot central to goal which is far less dangerous then letting someone pick out a player at the back post. Not solely Stephens fault but he has to press that ball IMO and if he does we do not concede

No it's not, because of the hole behind him. I thought it was Andone, but in fact based on your picture it's Murray who should be forcing it.

Look at Kayal though, it's suddenly dawned on him, that he is nowhere near where he should be.

If Stephens does as you suggest I play the ball to Atsu, who lays it off to the player on Stephens left for a free shot, and he is closer to the goal. Duffy is then exposed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That is Gross’s man to press, Stephens does it and he has a simple ball inside as Kayal is too far away. It’s a good photo to discuss tactics, but with Bruno tight to the winger, Gross has to press that ball, you cannot desert the centre of the pitch in this scenario.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That is Gross’s man to press, Stephens does it and he has a simple ball inside as Kayal is too far away. It’s a good photo to discuss tactics, but with Bruno tight to the winger, Gross has to press that ball, you cannot desert the centre of the pitch in this scenario.

I think Ritchie is too Gross's right, you can just see his toes (unless he's a sub). Gross could have come out though as well. Where's Andone?

Thanks for posting the picture [MENTION=3147]Seasider78[/MENTION]

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No it's not, because of the hole behind him. I thought it was Andone, but in fact based on your picture it's Murray who should be forcing it.

Look at Kayal though, it's suddenly dawned on him, that he is nowhere near where he should be.

If Stephens does as you suggest I play the ball to Atsu, who lays it off to the player on Stephens left for a free shot, and he is closer to the goal. Duffy is then exposed.

The player is already beyond Murray he would never get across. The action you describe with the link from Atsu assumes Bruno does not nick the ball from him preventing the pass, Duffy does not close down the shot and somehow the player beats Ryan from 20 yards. Personally I would rather have the cross cut off

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Gross's man and Dale should've been more aware of the threat behind him, taken two steps to his left and cut out the possibility of the pass inside. He should've put himself almost directly in a line between the bloke with the ball and the player behind him ready to run to his left or right whichever way necessary to keep their winger guessing.

It all went tits up because Pascal and Dale didn't make the correct decisions this time. They're not going to get it right 100% of the time.
In my lowly opinion of course.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Dale and Lewis absolutely vital to this currently 'bang average' side.

He was totally awful first half, better second.

The problem with DS is not his ability to pass or break up play, it's often his lack of speed and speed of thought.

He slows things down to much, goes backwards or sideways when forward options exist, he rarely drives us up the pitch, to pedestrian andslows us down.

Some good long passes second half to the wings.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009

If that's gross bottom.left in the picture?, Is that a NU player half out of picture on touchline?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
There was a Newcastle player hugging the touch line out of shot which is why Gross is where he is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The player is already beyond Murray he would never get across. The action you describe with the link from Atsu assumes Bruno does not nick the ball from him preventing the pass, Duffy does not close down the shot and somehow the player beats Ryan from 20 yards. Personally I would rather have the cross cut off

Of course, but not by creating a different problem, as others have said Gross could also have closed it down.

I can give you other scenario's given the space that Stephen's absences would create as well, that seemed the most obvious. In terms of beating Ryan from 20 yards, the second part of the season, that seems to have been fairly straight-forward.

My point remains, this was not down to Stephens not pressing - think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here