Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal v Southampton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
West Ham have a tough run in as well, Stoke, Man City, Man Utd, and Everton at home, Leicester and Arsenal away. They aren’t that great at home, and are two points, as it stands behind us at the moment, but, the fretters on here aren’t even suggesting they are in a with a of being relegated.

West Ham away equaliser at the Champions!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
West Ham have a tough run in as well, Stoke, Man City, Man Utd, and Everton at home, Leicester and Arsenal away. They aren’t that great at home, and are two points, as it stands behind us at the moment, but, the fretters on here aren’t even suggesting they are in a with a of being relegated.

Level with Chelsea now. They’re not going down, neither are Palace.

WBA and Stoke are down, then it’s 1 from us, Southampton, Swansea and Huddersfield.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Level with Chelsea now. They’re not going down, neither are Palace.

WBA and Stoke are down, then it’s 1 from us, Southampton, Swansea and Huddersfield.

Agree Palace and West Ham will stay up with ease. The wishful thinking of Albion fans is just that.

Stoke not down yet. I’ll reserve judgement until after a few more of their games.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
There’s a fair chance we’ll lose all our remaining games, as borne out by bookies odds where we’re big underdogs in each (e.g. CP are odds on to win, and us 3/1). Albion don’t travel and always lose against top 5 teams.

So the “collapse” is in progress.

But hopefully and probably, 2 other clubs will join WBA, in simply not quite catching up with us.

A home win against lowly Hudd would’ve secured our safety IMO.

Palace are top-price 2.05, more generally 2 (evens). Tottenham are 1.4 to win. Even if you put all our remaining opponents at significant odds-on (say, Man City 1.1, Liverpool 1.15, Man Utd 1.3 and Burnley 1.7) the "lose the lot" acca is around 7-1. There's a chance that we won't get another point, obviously - but the chance that we will is about 7x bigger.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Palace are top-price 2.05, more generally 2 (evens). Tottenham are 1.4 to win. Even if you put all our remaining opponents at significant odds-on (say, Man City 1.1, Liverpool 1.15, Man Utd 1.3 and Burnley 1.7) the "lose the lot" acca is around 7-1. There's a chance that we won't get another point, obviously - but the chance that we will is about 7x bigger.

I’m fully versed on probability, and multiplying the odds of independent events.

I’m referring to the bookies odds reflecting the likely outcome of each of these matches, and how the results could well stack up for the Albion.

For example, it was unlikely in probability terms that we’d lose to Chelsea H & A, Liverpool H, ManU A, ManC H, Spuds A, as a combined probability. But in reality, it was likely and so it proved.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I’m fully versed on probability, and multiplying the odds of independent events.

I’m referring to the bookies odds reflecting the likely outcome of each of these matches, and how the results could well stack up for the Albion.

For example, it was unlikely in probability terms that we’d lose to Chelsea H & A, Liverpool H, ManU A, ManC H, Spuds A, as a combined probability. But in reality, it was likely and so it proved.

No, in reality it wasn't very unlikely ... and so it proved.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Palace have a better chance to stay up than us, despite having four fewer points and a game less to play? Am I looking at a different table?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I honestly do. Stoke almost got a point yesterday at home to Spurs, Southampton lost by the odd goal today...even West Brom picked up a point!

Maybe the glass is more than half full, but, sloppy backpasses aside, we're hard to beat and so pick up the odd point here and there.

We've created good chances to win both of the last 2 games and a return of just a point was below the 3-4 expected from the NSC poll.

I think we'll do a job on one of the top 5 that will get us at least a point with a good team display along with getting the rub of the green on the day.

On another point, it's interesting to see how few people wanted Southampton to win today...a win that would have put Palace in the bottom 3.

Even local rivalries play second fiddle to survival!
That's not true as the two sides that are the real possibilities of finishing below us are Southampton and Huddersfield :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Palace have a better chance to stay up than us, despite having four fewer points and a game less to play? Am I looking at a different table?

Same table - but maybe not looking at the same fixtures? Palace have the likes of West Brom, Stoke (and us). They're more likely to pick up 7-8 points than we are 2-3.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Free speech troubles you.

NSC is a melting pot of all sorts of views, not identikit posts of control freak [MENTION=9822]KZNSeagull[/MENTION] .

What a bizarre reply. I am a control freak because I do not subscribe to your relentless negativity? You carry on being as miserable as you like - excuse me if I refuse to join in.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Southampton made a good effort today but I wouldn't hit the panic button about their "revival" just yet. Arsenal almost always have something fragile about them these days. I still don't imagine Mark Hughes has the skills to coax out a sequence of results against the opponents they still have to face.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What a bizarre reply. I am a control freak because I do not subscribe to your relentless negativity? You carry on being as miserable as you like - excuse me if I refuse to join in.

Instead of debatng individual points, you make a sweeping statement that I should think more positively, when I replied to someone else, not you. NSC allows a spread of views. If some are critical of yesterday’s performance and aren’t optimistic about difficult games ahead, why does it bother you if that view is expressed? Accept the wide array of views. For what it’s worth, just one person’s opinion, I’ve made it plain that I think we’re staying up.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Instead of debatng individual points, you make a sweeping statement that I should think more positively, when I replied to someone else, not you. NSC allows a spread of views. If some are critical of yesterday’s performance and aren’t optimistic about difficult games ahead, why does it bother you if that view is expressed? Accept the wide array of views. For what it’s worth, just one person’s opinion, I’ve made it plain that I think we’re staying up.

From what I can see you have spent all day on here making the same point over and over again. Quite why you choose to make the same point (being "critical of yesterday’s performance and aren’t optimistic about difficult games ahead") over and over again is up to you. I am allowed to counter it. I have done so. Once. I am glad you noticed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here