Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Great analysis in today's Telegraph

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I like the idea that when there are 4 players near the ball this is a diamond, and incredibly when only 3, this then forms a triangle. A fantastic piece of analysis, I hope no one else susses this out. I'm looking forward to the pentagon.

We'll know we've really arrived when we effortlessly morph from a rigidly tight defensive hexagon into a more fluid octagon .............................

now I'm drooling :rave:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Solly does not have great delivery very often imo.

Dunk clearly has good distribution ability.

The furore about us being a disgrace for getting rid of Hughton, is dying down rather swiftly.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Too much detail for my liking in that article, that will be put up all over the WHU training ground today.

One thing identifying it, another thing stopping it

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's a great article, really insightful. Only think that p-sses me off slightly is the caption underneath the photo of Dunk's pass saying something like "anyone who says they knew Lewis Dunk could play this pass is lying". Most Brighton fans have known for years he's capable of that

True dat. Someone needs to make a compilation of Dunk's passes and send it to him. Does such a video exist already?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hmmmm, many may well be now, t'is amazing what a 0-3 win can do for the soul.

But there's been an awful lot of "big mistake" comments on here all summer and not just TSB and The Trolls.
Many a learned scholar has been up in arms about the change (I have been both pragmatically happy and sad) and haven't held back in telling all that we were doomed to failure.

You're positioning this as #TeamHughton vs #TeamPotter which isn't and never has been the case.
The majority of the #TeamHughton postings has been in response to the "anyone but Hughton" types of posts, that were complete bollocks and disrespectful to a decent and honourable manager.

Very few people had Potter in their sights at that point and I suspect a fair few anti Hughton posters would have been unconvinced when they first heard the news.

My disappointment was always related to the fact that Hughton had actually delivered on what most of us had accepted were the targets.
It seemed pretty rough to be kicked out after that.

At least with Potter it has been made clear from the off that the targets are constant improvement and to get up the table.
I wonder whether Chris had been given a similar target, but it hadn't previously been shared with the fans.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It's one thing knowing about it, but stopping it is something completely different.

As the article says teams will figure that system out, although it's doubtful one will be West Ham with just 7 days notice.

Plus the point the article acknowledges that GP will change formations within games, thus challenging opponents to respond.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're positioning this as #TeamHughton vs #TeamPotter which isn't and never has been the case.
The majority of the #TeamHughton postings has been in response to the "anyone but Hughton" types of posts, that were complete bollocks and disrespectful to a decent and honourable manager.

Very few people had Potter in their sights at that point and I suspect a fair few anti Hughton posters would have been unconvinced when they first heard the news.

My disappointment was always related to the fact that Hughton had actually delivered on what most of us had accepted were the targets.
It seemed pretty rough to be kicked out after that.

At least with Potter it has been made clear from the off that the targets are constant improvement and to get up the table.
I wonder whether Chris had been given a similar target, but it hadn't previously been shared with the fans.

For much of the summer it was #TeamHughton v #TeamAnybodyElse.

There are even posters who I'd put very much in that camp :thumbsup: ing your earlier rebuttal.

I'm pleased they are now happy (slightly disappointed for CH) but I still think it's a valid question to those who have spent the summer repeatedly saying:-

'he did the very best that could be done with the players available'.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Am I team Hughton...you decide.

I was shocked to discover in May the day after we saw Man City lift the trophy that CH had been relieved of his duties. Considering the club line had always been staying up was all that mattered and after we had played Cardiff we looked woeful yet he had survived all I can say is I was shocked. But as shocked as I was I was equally disappointed as all the managers out of a job were not candidates that I'd consider an improvement on CH except Jose who would never manage such a side. I thought it was harsh on CH considering that we had survived and the first half of the season had shown that we could compete with the rest.

Under Potter our players seem to have learnt so much so quickly and the analysis suggests he has got them doing things they've never done before, not just because of a new formation but their movement and attacking mindset ment defending from the front and gaining possession quickly in the opposition half.

We look much better under Potter and I'm very hopeful of a higher finish this season but I'm gutted for CH that he was sacked as he seemed to give his all for 4 1/2 years and for the majority of it gave us the best years in the clubs history

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Yeah I heard all serious PL teams do their analysis on opponents by reading the papers..

Reckon if this one journalist can work this out then their analysis team and coaches probably have as well.
Also it seems every man and his dog is now a tactical genius who can dissect a game. The trouble is in most cases there are a number of different ways of viewing tactics as they play out so much of it is probably bollocks anyway. I bet some of these managers read these analyses and wonder what the hell these pundits are on about.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For much of the summer it was #TeamHughton v #TeamAnybodyElse.

There are even posters who I'd put very much in that camp :thumbsup: ing your earlier rebuttal.

I'm pleased they are now happy (slightly disappointed for CH) but I still think it's a valid question to those who have spent the summer repeatedly saying:-

'he did the very best that could be done with the players available'.

And that has been my issue with both sides of the argument.

Either the players were shit and always had been shit or Hughton was shit and always had been shit.
Neither statement was anywhere near being true.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I know I’m looking forward to a home match for the first time in about 5 months. CH was and is a legend. I think he had gone stale though and couldn’t get out the spiral. I think some players had stopped playing for him too (Propper being the biggest culprit IMO) perhaps not consciously but if you start to doubt tactics then doubts creep in.
Potter is a fresh broom who has restarted some decent players. I would imagine being drilled to ‘let’s cause these a problem’ rather than ‘hold what we have’ must be a breath of fresh air.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
so do you think Montoya playing a sort of Knockaert role worked? You could argue that nobody deserves to be dropped on that performance but wonder is Potter will play tossard at home - he did well in the few preseason games he played.

TBH I thought Montoya struggled a bit on the left, letting 3 or 4 passes go out. 'The Greyhound' may be making a comeback soon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here