Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] King Alfred

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/178...multi-million-pound-king-alfred-regeneration/

Really disappointing news that Crest have pulled out of this development. The King Alfred project was not perfect but the facilities are not fit for purpose. We deserve better. What makes matters worse is our wet Council not signing a contract. Agree with the councillor - heads need to roll from the Labour Councillors.

Our City deserves much better.

Rant over.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/178...multi-million-pound-king-alfred-regeneration/

Really disappointing news that Crest have pulled out of this development. The King Alfred project was not perfect but the facilities are not fit for purpose. We deserve better. What makes matters worse is our wet Council not signing a contract. Agree with the councillor - heads need to roll from the Labour Councillors.

Rant over.

It’s a shame the Tory party put a stop to the Gehry project, wasting around 5m of tax payers money in the process. Pure politics and waste over common sense.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Rant over.

Just looked at what you have written in your "location". Are you upset about the development falling through, or are you looking to use this to make a political point? If so what would you have done differently?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I find this stuff confusing.

We need a new swimming pool in Brighton.
To do that we need, whatever, 55 storys of flats above them ... okay
Now the current King Alfred or the Prince Regent, or any other swimming pool i've been to, don't have a tonne of flats above them, so how did they ever get built?

(Please note, this is rhetorical)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To think we could have had an iconic Frank Gehry landmark building on that site years ago. Stupid parochial bastids :nono:

Agree. You have the Tories to blame for this. Utter scum bags putting their prehistoric ideology over common sense.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
King Alfred

King of Wessex from 871 to c. 886 and King of the Anglo-Saxons from c. 886 to 899. Let them cakes burn !!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Blimey the King Alfred! Aunt Nora up in the balcony seats. Me diving off the board as close to the edge as I could get because I couldn't swim. Hot chocolate and a donought after in the crap cafe. That is quite a nostalgia fest.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
£4m tax payers money wasted.

Why don't they just build a swimming pool without having to shoehorn in 500 houses. Adur council managed to in Worthing a couple of years ago.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
02B1A782-CBB7-4E34-BDD6-E24F00B244D5.jpeg

Two Victorian women walking along the Prom my arse.

The Gehry plot was to get high density housing on a small plot. Never liked the design and very dated now without being exposed to the sea for the last 10 years.

The project fell through because ING Real Estate went bust in 2008 bank crisis and Hove Grammar Boy Josh Arghiros couldn’t find an oil Sheikh prepared to fund the KARIS project.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agree. You have the Tories to blame for this. Utter scum bags putting their prehistoric ideology over common sense.

The financiers went bust - how is that the fault of the Tories or indeed any political party ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Above the outer blocks go up to 12 storeys. The current eyesore on the Texaco garage Alibi Pub site is only 8 storeys and around 50 flats, at a guess.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Any high density housing scheme on that site would be a disaster. The roads, schools, doctors, etc simply couldn't cope.

How did Worthing manage to buld Splash just a few years ago?

Or Burgess Hill achieve the Triangle?

I don't see why the council can't build a new pool (perhaps with, say, 8 penthouse flats to offset costs). It shouldn't be some ludicrous tower block scheme that would blight the seafront and cause huge infrastructure problems for the area.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Any high density housing scheme on that site would be a disaster. The roads, schools, doctors, etc simply couldn't cope.

How did Worthing manage to buld Splash just a few years ago?

Or Burgess Hill achieve the Triangle?

I don't see why the council can't build a new pool (perhaps with, say, 8 penthouse flats to offset costs). It shouldn't be some ludicrous tower block scheme that would blight the seafront and cause huge infrastructure problems for the area.

I would imagine its because Brighton and Hove desperately needs new homes and particularly affordable ones and there are only a few sites in the city where it is possible to build them. I suspect therefore that for the council building new homes on that site is a much bigger priority than a new leisure centre.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
At this rate we'll end up with an inflatable paddling pool and a bunch of portacabins in 15 years time and be grateful for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The financiers went bust - how is that the fault of the Tories or indeed any political party ?

No, this did not happen. The original lender, Dutch bank ING, withdrew their support due to the credit-crunch. Karis then sought alternative funding. They needed a slight extension to the original planning agreement to secure this, I understand this is typically a formality if there is no material change to the plans. But the Tory party, who always opposed the build were now in control of the council. They opposed this extension and the whole deal collapsed taking millions of Brighton tax payers money and a lot of hard work with it. I cannot remember the exact reason they gave for opposing the extension but it was spurious.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To think we could have had an iconic Frank Gehry landmark building on that site years ago.
I'd have loved that, it would indeed have been iconic as you say. But that was back when the financial crises happened, so it wasn't ever going to be built. I blame the politicians for what they agreed could be built alongside the iconic tower, but I can't imagine it's their fault that it became financially unviable once the financial crises happened.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here