Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] we'll get it out of the way before the football starts ... Best album EVER

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
What is wrong with you people?
The answer is obviously PEPPER!

Just to prove it's THAT good, here it is by someone else and still sounding brill.

boik

When I opened this thread I knew straight away that Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds would feature highly. I really don't get it. Most of the songs are pretty average if you strip them back, but massive over-production using fancy new (at the time) techniques turn them into something glossy. Most bands go through this where the first albums are pretty straight up and down, then they get a big contract and loads of money and spend months in a studio with a fancy producer to produce their "masterpiece". Then they realise that they've lost their way and go back to making their "own" music.

Anyway, I have no "best album". On any given day......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Again, for me, a MASSIVELY overrated album. Yes there are some stand out tracks (three for me) but other than that it’s all a bit meh imo. I say this as a big Beach Boys fan. Much prefer Holland myself :shrug:

No way is it the greatest album ever, although I am repeatedly told that it is :smile:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Can't decide, so

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - debut album
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Elvis Costello -This Years Model
The Clash - Combat Rock
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
The Jam - Setting Sons
Paul Weller - Stanley Road
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Graham Parker - Acid Bubblegum
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Nick Lowe - The Jesus of Cool

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nah.

R-1087326-1404135034-3766.jpeg.jpg

First time I went to the T&CC was '89. .. . . To see Ian Dury and the Blockheads. They recently released a live album from the same era as GOR. It's all good stuff. But the HP album stands out not just for the performance but the sound quality, and a good ten years beforehand, it's quite something. More to the point, it hasn't been ****ed about with and 'added' to like most 'old' live recordings.

This is v good. . . . https://youtu.be/sIiEXi0w0W0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here