Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
One game at a time and all that, but today we just need to not only celebrate that we won on the opening day and away from home, but also that we are playing a much more entertaining style of football that also works.
Maupay scores as well as Andone and we were worried about Glenn getting too old
I couldn't give 2 shits how poor Watford were, every team wants to win the first match.
It's going to be very interesting how we play against the top 6, will Potter be as stubborn in his approach as CH was in his.
I hope so.

A very good question. The finishing was excellent. Especially when Watford was starting to put some pressure on our defence. Will the same quality persist against a top 6 club?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Still buzzing from yesterday. Good banter with Watford fans in the pub beforehand, and i have never felt more confident we would get a result - but what a performance too. Brilliant start to the season and now can't wait for the first game of the season at the Amex.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am delighted Brighton won the game - and all Brighton fans should have a few scoops tonight - but let's have a sense of realism - its one game and Watford were brutal.

Watford were a shambles at the back for the OG - a Watford defender gave the ball away, the Watford players were slow to react, Stephens over-hit the cross which should have been knocked out of play when a Watford defender headed it back to Gross - whose cross was going out through the penalty area before being bundled into the Watford goal by the defender. For the second goal Watford should have cleared their lines but the defender headed the ball straight to Montoya, and three defenders backed away from Propper allowing him to cross the ball. Andone made a run to the near post and no Watford defender went with him. For the third goal Dunk was allowed to waltz into midfield and nobody went near him, there was a gap the size of the grand canyon through the Watford defence that Dunk put the pass through and Maupay didn't have anyone within 20 yards of him - Maupay took the goal very well, but Dunk should never have been allowed play that ball.

Brighton deserved to win this game - but the 3 goals were complements of very poor Watford defending more than anything else and Watford were very poor. And on another day, that penalty claim could have gone the other way - a successful penalty would have changed the entire dynamic of the game - Watford were putting Brighton under a lot of pressure at the time.

So not a lot of credit to Brighton , then.
If you were at the game, which I assume you were, you would have seen Watford start exactly the same way as last season, high tempo and in control. We wrested that control away from them by intelligent running and hard work from players like Locadia ( not much credit from many on here ) Gross and Montoya. It was the opening day, so there was an element of rustiness from both teams but our ball retention was clearly better than last season.
Watford are a very strong side, physically and we had to match that. We did. We outthought them and outplayed them. They weren't very poor. That is utter garbage. Murray would have scored if the defender hadn't got there first. The last two goals were superbly crafted. It was, by a long way, our best away performance in the PL.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Still buzzing from yesterday. Good banter with Watford fans in the pub beforehand, and i have never felt more confident we would get a result - but what a performance too. Brilliant start to the season and now can't wait for the first game of the season at the Amex.

Same here. Absolutely buzzing today. Watford fan said to me yesterday..." Got you relegated, mate. Finishing bottom "....don't you just love days like yesterday.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Thank you Chris, you delivered. Thank you Tony. Tony Bloom is not afraid to make the right decisions when needed. The man is an Albion fan, he wants to see attractive attacking football. He also knows that we need to stay in this division. He has invested. He takes a risk when necessary. He has invested in GP. We now have a manager with a different mandate, to use the players , to do what they were designed to do. I think CH was superb but a change was needed. Hail Tony. Enjoy today.

Yeah This.

I am/was one of the more vocal supporters of CH and still feel a great deal of sadness in the manner of his departure.
I felt he deserved more from the club having achieved the targets for the season.

Tony has made a massive call on replacing him with Potter, but the bottom line was that Chris was not getting anything out of the extra investment.
Tony is spending to make progress, but Chris saw safety as the first ( and possbly only) target. I strongly believe his "More of the same next season" comment after the City game, sealed his fate.

So far so good from Potter, and I am very impressed by him. He looks to have the makings of an excellent manager.
Arguably we are still more likely to be relegated under him than we would have been under Hughton, but the potential improvement is also far greater.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If CH were still in charge yesterday he would have shut up shop after the 1st goal and then proceeded to defend for the rest of the match. No way would he have sent 2 strikers on

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Arguably we are still more likely to be relegated under him than we would have been under Hughton, but the potential improvement is also far greater.

Why more likely under Potter. I am curious why you should think that?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
But Bloom didn't ask him to leave by mutual consent, he just sacked him with no warning.
You've much to learn.

The way I see it he did everything he was asked to do by Bloom. The strategy was to get promoted, then when that was achieved it was to stay in the EPL. The strategy changed to become top 10 and his view was Hughton couldn’t do that, so he sacked him. Nothing inconsistent with that. And I agree with the decision, made at the right time

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Why more likely under Potter. I am curious why you should think that?
Arguably so.
Hughton has a proven track record of staying up and that is what he targets.

Potter believes in a style of play
There are inherent risks in that approach at this level.
There will be games ahead that we will lose going for a win, that we wouldn't have lost under Chris.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is the right move.
Just it will be higher risk for hopefully higher rewards.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Arguably so.
Hughton has a proven track record of staying up and that is what he targets.

Potter believes in a style of play
There are inherent risks in that approach at this level.
There will be games ahead that we will lose going for a win, that we wouldn't have lost under Chris.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is the right move.
Just it will be higher risk for hopefully higher rewards.

Like Wolves then, they f**ked up didn't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here