Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2019/20 Premier League VAR decisions

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There was some booing whilst one of the numerous VAR checks was going on.

I could see discontent from fans, of all persuasions, resulting in booing loudly every time a VAR decision is being made. Not sure that would do much for brand Premier League worldwide.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why wasn’t the penalty re-taken a second time ? I thought the goalkeeper was off his line again. Whether he was or he wasn’t, it seems it wasn’t checked.

Because he didn't save it? I haven't checked recently, but in recent seasons when it came to penalties if you didn't benefit from an infringement it didn't matter - if the defenders encroach, but the penalty is scored they just get on with it, if the attackers encroach, but miss, just play on.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
What is good about that? Bloody awful decision.

Its good IF consistently applied against ALL teams. If its been decided that offside will be applied no matter how close, as long as its consistent I think its good given that we have VAR. Whether we should have VAR is a different question altogether, but its here so we just have to hope its applied equally for all teams

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
As discussed many times, will serve the top teams in solidifying their places up there. As if they needed any more help in doing so.

Anybody who thinks the circus that is VAR will help clubs like us is utterly deluded.

The FA cup semi should have given you a good indication of what's to come.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
A lot of the arguments I've seen against VAR are just people not actually knowing the laws of the game. The penalty decision was correct in every way.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Because he didn't save it? I haven't checked recently, but in recent seasons when it came to penalties if you didn't benefit from an infringement it didn't matter - if the defenders encroach, but the penalty is scored they just get on with it, if the attackers encroach, but miss, just play on.

I understand but if VAR is only used on penalties for the benefit of the attacking team then it isn’t about accuracy like they keep telling us. It changes the odds massively in favour of the penalty taker. Personally I don’t like VAR because I don’t require precision accuracy in football decision making. That isn’t the reason the rules of the game were drawn up. It just isn’t possible for an attacker to prevent himself from being milimetres offside and I don’t think that kind of precision benefits the game although it will make the gambling companies happier.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Well, if you are arguing in favour of this game killer, feel free and go ahead, personally I think it's killing our sport.

It is changing our sport. The players must change with the sport but after a while everyone will be acclimated to the way to play and we all will accept it. CHANGE IS HARD. When new kits are introduced many people don't like them but eventually everybody gets acclimated to them.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I’m really looking forward to my “Matchday Experience”
And the extra five or six minutes added making my cost per minute watched cheaper.

The only problem will be that those extra minutes will be spent watching prats like Mike Dean standing about with his finger in his ear, whilst 30k plus people wonder what’s going on.
And being unable to celebrate or indeed shrug when either my team or the opposition score.
Still operated (presumably somewhere in the known world), by useless nameless officials with no responsibility whatsoever.
Probably my last season watching live football.

VAR Ha Ha Ha

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is changing our sport. The players must change with the sport but after a while everyone will be acclimated to the way to play and we all will accept it. CHANGE IS HARD. When new kits are introduced many people don't like them but eventually everybody gets acclimated to them.
It's great if you like not bothering to celebrate a goal. Scoring a goal is the best thing in football. Now you can see the players waiting for VAR confirmation and also only hear a half hearted cheer from the crowd. What a joy stopper VAR truly is.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
the obvious way is refs call.

All referees are different and players have to acclimate themselves to different referees. VAR is constant and the players will get reversals where the referees are not calling to the VAR constant. We all know that referees are human. How often do we complain about certain referees calling the game a certain way. Allowing too many fouls, calling too many fouls. etc,

Pickles

May 5, 2014
It's great if you like not bothering to celebrate a goal. Scoring a goal is the best thing in football. Now you can see the players waiting for VAR confirmation and also only hear a half hearted cheer from the crowd. What a joy stopper VAR truly is.

I thought the latter Man City goals today were 'half hearted' cheers by the supporters.

Admittedly, a third or fourth is probably boring for them in particular, but sadly, I think you're right.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I understand but if VAR is only used on penalties for the benefit of the attacking team then it isn’t about accuracy like they keep telling us. It changes the odds massively in favour of the penalty taker. Personally I don’t like VAR because I don’t require precision accuracy in football decision making. That isn’t the reason the rules of the game were drawn up. It just isn’t possible for an attacker to prevent himself from being milimetres offside and I don’t think that kind of precision benefits the game although it will make the gambling companies happier.

I'm not sure you do understand (or you are linking a second issue to this one which isn't really relevant to your initial question) because it's not about benefit of the attacking team. It's about the impact of the infringement - in this instant the defending team infringing the laws didn't stop the goal, so their 'cheating' didn't affect the outcome. However, had a man city attacker ran into the box before Aguero kicked the ball, and Aguero spooned it over the bar, that 'cheating' wouldn't have affected the outcome and would have been ignored.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unfortunately I haven't got that choice as I was indoctrinated as a child to love the Albion.
Yeah, but that was a different game altogether, and this new one is shit, so no need to bother.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the obvious way is refs call.
So you're saying no VAR calls on offside at all? If you don't mean that, when is it refs call and when do we go with the reality as shown by VAR?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here