Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's just my opinion, I am certainly not anti England cricket, but after that titanic battle from both sides it should have been left as a draw.
:eek: No. Just no.
I fully understand real England cricket fans would have been hugely disappointed, that is why they are claiming victory.
What the actual ****? No, they are claiming victory because they won.

I feel exactly the same in a massive football game when a team wins on penalties, especially if they fluke the winning penalty, like slipping etc.
Yeah I often feel gutted and hard-done-by in after football games (as is often the case when England lose). But I don't leave thinking the football should have been called a draw, that's just weird.

And I also thought that after probably the best cricket match of all time that England didn't go straight to the kiwis rather than whooping around Lords.
I like to think I'd have been over to them fairly quickly, but then you and I haven't spent our careers training in the hope we achieve what they achieved that second. New Zealand needed 2 runs off the last ball to win the world cup. They were favourites at that point. Archer bowled well, Roy fielded well (unlike a couple of balls earlier) and threw perfectly. Buttler, full of nerves, collected the ball and hit the stumps perfectly. Their years of practice became worth it at that second, so it's understandable they celebrated for a minute before going to the Kiwis.

That's the sort of thing I expect from Aussies (who would have bowled the super over under arm) and Americans
Oh please.
Sorry, it's only my opinion, Cricket can be a draw and that was a draw.
:facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, NZ got a massive stroke of luck in winning the toss but England got the rub of the green from then on (as Morgan admitted) so I think it was pretty even.
Which is all that we've said. Overall, we weren't outrageously lucky. It was hard fought, and we won by the narrowest of margins.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
:eek: No. Just no.
What the actual ****? No, they are claiming victory because they won.

Yeah I often feel gutted and hard-done-by in after football games (as is often the case when England lose). But I don't leave thinking the football should have been called a draw, that's just weird.

I like to think I'd have been over to them fairly quickly, but then you and I haven't spent our careers training in the hope we achieve what they achieved that second. New Zealand needed 2 runs off the last ball to win the world cup. They were favourites at that point. Archer bowled well, Roy fielded well (unlike a couple of balls earlier) and threw perfectly. Buttler, full of nerves, collected the ball and hit the stumps perfectly. Their years of practice became worth it at that second, so it's understandable they celebrated for a minute before going to the Kiwis.

Oh please.
:facepalm:

First time on this thread when I've agreed with everything Triggaaar has said!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The ball runs along the ground many times in a game of Cricket, it doesn't often hit the bat of a player running between the wicket and trundle off for a four.
Sorry, I did not even think about comparing you with Morgan, I am just sick of him thinking he won it.
It's just my opinion, I am certainly not anti England cricket, but after that titanic battle from both sides it should have been left as a draw.
I fully understand real England cricket fans would have been hugely disappointed, that is why they are claiming victory.
I feel exactly the same in a massive football game when a team wins on penalties, especially if they fluke the winning penalty, like slipping etc.
And I also thought that after probably the best cricket match of all time that England didn't go straight to the kiwis rather than whooping around Lords.
That's the sort of thing I expect from Aussies (who would have bowled the super over under arm) and Americans

If you are talking sportsmanship, apparently Stokes asked the umpires to remove the 4 runs from hitting his bat, but they told him that was the rules and there was nothing they could do.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...n-after-england-s-world-cup-victory-qzdd8j5bv

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you are talking sportsmanship, apparently Stokes asked the umpires to remove the 4 runs from hitting his bat, but they told him that was the rules and there was nothing they could do.
And Chopper has the audacity to compare them with the Aussies :mad:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't have minded if NZ had won after 50 overs because they were only 8 wickets down and England were all out

Even that doesn’t follow for me as if we knew that was the case we wouldn’t have had those last two run outs.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I’ve just watched that final ball again and again and again. Without doubt the most incredible end to any tournament, ever. 3 days on and I still can’t believe it!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wouldn't have minded if NZ had won after 50 overs because they were only 8 wickets down and England were all out
Had that been the rule, we would have played it differently. 2 of our last 3 never faced a ball, and Archer only faced one.

How about they play the match and then, once both teams have played their 50 overs, the ICC look at fans' forums to decide how to pick a winner? They can then play that shitty reality TV suspense music and announce the winner in front of the live audience!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
People saying the luck of winning the toss and batting first but didnt Morgan suggest that had he won the toss he would have asked them to bat first.

Some of the commentators I listened too, thought it was a good toss to lose, some thought NZ should have batted first I also thought the same.
But NZ have become a team who like to defend scores.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wonder how Stokes would have felt if the umpire called it a 5, and he had to go to the none strikers end.
Probably a bit like you do now :lolol:

It was a fantastic game, it’s put cricket on the front pages and it will have inspired a load of children to have a go at the sport. England got the title, but cricket was the real winner.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
The ball runs along the ground many times in a game of Cricket, it doesn't often hit the bat of a player running between the wicket and trundle off for a four.
Sorry, I did not even think about comparing you with Morgan, I am just sick of him thinking he won it.

Some fair comment there, pulled apart by the usual suspects.

Technically it was a draw, and an England win declared on count back. It seems clear to me a second super would have been the fairest way to produce an outright winner, it's a shame they didn't add that condition to the rules to begin with. Boundary count back is just daft.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder how Stokes would have felt if the umpire called it a 5, and he had to go to the none strikers end.

Are you sure you are not Australian?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here