Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Laps or dining table ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Surely its only off lap if your obsessed with TV.

Damn straight i am. The missus is of the less uncouth variety (more couth? couth?) and has a strong family sentiment with the wish to dine together and talk through happenings of the day. No chance, Meade's Ballita. I've got the telly gently roaring away and i intend to do little but escape and sometimes chortle.
And i don't use trays.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Always eat at a table. Normally kitchen or garden table in summer but dining room if entertaining. (Although there is a TV on the kitchen wall).

I think it was a habit that started when we had kids that we always sat down to dinner together and has remained after they left home.

Very occasional pizza in lounge watching a movie, but kids were never allowed to eat in bedrooms.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in a conversation recently where someone reckoned it was a bit common and definitely working class to eat ones tea/dinner from a tray on their laps. Got me thinking because I mostly do although we have a perfectly good dining room table which hardly ever gets used apart from Xmas.
So do you ? and is it a working class thing.

I can understand if you have young kids sitting up at the table though.

So are you a middle class social climber or the scum of the earth.

You’re certainly working class, and northern, if you call dinner “tea”

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't have a dining room and the kitchen is too small for a table so the coffee table in front of the TV works fine!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would guess we eat at the table four or five nights a week, give or take - generally if the three of us are eating at the same time - the busy afternoon/evening schedule of a nine-year old means that occasionally the lad needs to eat before us.

The other exception is weekends which brings Fun Food Friday - burgers & fries or pizza on laps in front of a Family Film. Fridays are really all about the Fs.

I think it's a good thing to all sit at the table for half an hour or so every day, with no other distractions going on.

Switch burgers to Frankfurters to keep those F's flowing!

I'd muse that FALAFELS is more likely, chez [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Damn straight i am. The missus is of the less uncouth variety (more couth? couth?) and has a strong family sentiment with the wish to dine together and talk through happenings of the day. No chance, Meade's Ballita. I've got the telly gently roaring away and i intend to do little but escape and sometimes chortle.
And i don't use trays.

No tray MB ? I’m with you though on the other stuff. I want the 6 or 6-30 news on as I’m scoffing and my boy can take his dinner to his room if he so wishes. He collects crockery as a hobby. I will not tho sit in the same room as my wife if she insists on catching up on one of ‘her programmes’ which will be all collagen and botox.
I need my news. It’s important that if there has been a disaster somewhere I can have it confirmed that there were no Britons involved.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would guess we eat at the table four or five nights a week, give or take - generally if the three of us are eating at the same time - the busy afternoon/evening schedule of a nine-year old means that occasionally the lad needs to eat before us.

The other exception is weekends which brings Fun Food Friday - burgers & fries or pizza on laps in front of a Family Film. Fridays are really all about the Fs.

n.

And when the kids are sleeping the dreams of the innocent you can have some fellatio to keep the F themed night going.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I detest being forced to make small talk with the family. so child at the table and wife and me on sofa with TV on loud and ipad on the side so I dont even have to look at them in my peripheral vision.

We use the table strictly for Christmas only. the rest of the time it is stacked high with crap we cant be bothered to put away.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Kids have left home now so me & Mrs SS do as we please - tends to be laps [with tray] during the week and table at weekends [unless it's a takeaway, which is always lap]

I really don't think class comes into it - it all about comfort and convenience.
For those who don't have a big enough house for a dining or kitchen table, laps it must be. So is the class thing actually saying if you live in a little house, you must be working class [coz lap is your only option] - seems naff to me.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I detest being forced to make small talk with the family. so child at the table and wife and me on sofa with TV on loud and ipad on the side so I dont even have to look at them in my peripheral vision.

We use the table strictly for Christmas only. the rest of the time it is stacked high with crap we cant be bothered to put away.

I... Errr... You're joking, right...?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
For me it depends on the fare. I’m awful at eating from my lap - as kids we were not allowed to eat anywhere but at the table, not due to class but because there were six kids and you need some sort of order to even survive mealtimes. Thus I didn’t pick up the skills required to balance a plate on my lap and bring the food-laden utensil to my mouth, what feels like sixty metres away.

My wife wants to eat in the lounge so that’s the norm unless I over rule her based on food difficulty / risk.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think it's a good thing to all sit at the table for half an hour or so every day, with no other distractions going on.

Similar to us.

Depends on the type of dinner ... anything with a spill-able sauce can lead to a ruined carpet/sofas in the living room.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Working class and proud. Tray once a week.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
On a lap watching TV if wife and me are by ourselves , if we have friends round in the garden or the table in the kitchen. Concept of a dining room seems alien to me now, but grew up as that being the norm. Glad it's not so stuffy these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here