Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Work Christmas Do

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I forgot all about xmas do’s, having escaped employment a few lucky years ago.

I used to detest the official work do ... the wnkr narcissist owner frowned upon any relaxed mucking around even; party poppers, getting drunk or chatting to people from other firms. So he’d often select a quiet place out of Brighton/Hove, or a hire a private room just for us, always with a dead atmosphere. Aided by half of us hating the bloke and the other half being sad lickers.

The unofficial do’s for the rebels were often very memorable, for the right reasons.

Another reason to love my freedom.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Used to love the Xmas parties

Now they have merged it to a company wide one which means it’s a no from me.

It’s bad enough having to speak to some of the contact centre staff when I have to....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Same as last year, they've hired a big top somewhere in Lindfield which is "themed" (they have all dancers on plinths and shit). 3 course meal and drinks all paid for, there's a free DODGEMS tent adjoined to it that runs throughout the evening which is a laugh, and if you can stick it out till midnight, then they dole out some hot breakfast baguettes for everyone (bacon egg and sausage). They pay for the taxi's home too.

Its pretty good acshully.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My company has gone for the cheapest option as usual, recently the store took a record amount of takings in a calendar month to the tune of £250K..... we were rewarded with a curry for everyone ( about 30 people )for which they budgeted £300 for.

So the Christmas do is in a local hotel in Worthing, it's a two course finger buffet and " Party Night " costing them £32 a head, buy your own drinks. I went last year and the buffet was mostly crap and worth about £10, I'm not going this year as it's VERY cliquey and the crap beer is always well overpriced.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Normally have ours at Gars, bosses pay for everything. Leave work at 2 pay us till 5. Party starts at 3 drinks and food on tap until 7. Happy days, there is x22 of us.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
On the 6th in Guildford, fully paid by the company including hotels, combined with an all day meeting therefore unless you're on leave you have to attend. Then following week another in Bath with the sales team again fully paid. This one can be a little more strained for me as the team are easily half my age and by about 10pm I've had enough and they've just started. They all call me dad!

Ooooh! Can I come to yours, I'm only 5 miles away. Self -employed me,sole trader so nuffink going on as I'm too tight.:lolol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So they are all bellends and you’re not? I would look at myself if I thought that everyone that I work with were like that. Your company also employed you so I would think that you fit the type that they are looking for. I’m not calling you a bellend, but it’s strange isn’t it?

Do you work there too?

Not calling you a bellend :)

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Self Employed and no staff any more, so no party this year. I might have some Christmas Carols on whilst I'm wrapping presents and crack a beer open. The "£1.29 Christmas Party" is all the rage in my world. :lolol:

In the good old days I used to put everyone up at the Grand (about 30 in total) and nobody put their hand in their pocket at any time (apart from me) and I've had a bill of £6,000 before. I didn't care though as it was a thank you to my staff and suppliers. We all got on, every single one of us - and had some absolutely brilliant times.

My best mate makes sure Waterstones Books get their stock delivered on time. He's on for an £8,500 bonus and a swanky party. His ex-wife worked for Sainsburys and made sure they got their toilet rolls and kitchen rolls on the shelves.. and got a £13,000 Christmas Bonus a couple of years ago, with the Xmas knees up at the Grosvenor on Park Lane.

My wife saves Children's lives for a living for the NHS. She gets a £5 Costa Coffee gift card and a box of biscuits on the unit. :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
My place held a ballot among the staff to decide what to do, then when the results came in they ignored them and went with something far cheaper and more rubbish than any of the suggestions. Unsurprisingly the take up has apparently been "sluggish".

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Self Employed and no staff any more, so no party this year. I might have some Christmas Carols on whilst I'm wrapping presents and crack a beer open. The "£1.29 Christmas Party" is all the rage in my world. :lolol:

In the good old days I used to put everyone up at the Grand (about 30 in total) and nobody put their hand in their pocket at any time (apart from me) and I've had a bill of £6,000 before. I didn't care though as it was a thank you to my staff and suppliers. We all got on, every single one of us - and had some absolutely brilliant times.

My best mate makes sure Waterstones Books get their stock delivered on time. He's on for an £8,500 bonus and a swanky party. His ex-wife worked for Sainsburys and made sure they got their toilet rolls and kitchen rolls on the shelves.. and got a £13,000 Christmas Bonus a couple of years ago, with the Xmas knees up at the Grosvenor on Park Lane.

My wife saves Children's lives for a living for the NHS. She gets a £5 Costa Coffee gift card and a box of biscuits on the unit. :shrug:

I'd be immensely proud of her, lets hope pay rises for the NHS start again soon.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Why do I feel like you're going to tell me that this is Friday 7th - and we both work for the same company...

Well, there are more than just the one company there but who do you work for? Intriguing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My company does it mostly right. We always do it on a Friday afternoon (14th), then anyone who wants to stay out goes on after This year we're going to a retro arcade bar which I know and love ( [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] knows the one). We'll have a load of free food and drinks, and generally have a bit of a laugh.

The only crap part is when they draw names to win about 40 prizes. This seems to go on forever and in the two parties I've been to I haven't won a prize yet. It's actually harder NOT to win something.

I'm looking forward to the party, although I won't be continuing to other bars as my parents are arrive from the UK in the evening. Probably best to go and meet them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here