Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If remain had won on 52%, I would not have taken that as an endorsement of taking the Euro, signing up to an EU Army, joining the Schengen area etc. and any Government that did, would have had a referendum on each one of those by law, I am sure that in those circumstances you would not suggest that because we had voted to stay in, only remainers should have a say in what staying in actually meant. So here we are with a version of leave that the most vocal leave supporting MP's voted against, twice, and may yet get another chance to change their minds on that once they see what the alternatives are, or realise what the alternative will be, whilst telling the electorate that to ask if we still want to do it, is undemocratic.
You know this would not have been over with a narrow remain result, and another referendum would be on the agenda of the Tory Eurosceptics and UKIP, and no doubt you would have been supporting that.

Depends what you mean by 'have a say'.

A better comparison … If we held a referendum about joining the EU and join had won by a small margin would you be happy if the people who decided what join would now look like, mainly came from the side that lost and still believed it was a terrible decision - Eurosceptics? A Eurosceptic PM, Eurosceptic Chancellor, two third Eurosceptic parliament? Would it be ok if these mainly Eurosceptic polticians f'd up the joining deal so badly that no one could agree while millions of Eurosceptic voters who never accepted the result marched to call for another vote? Would you find it acceptable for other eurosceptic politicians and voters to call for a type of EU membership that completely undermined the main reasons for joining …. all in the name of unity? No you wouldn't and no other remainer would either.

What ever happened to the words Free and Fair preceding the word elections in this statement?

On reflection it was anything but. See the UK government spending millions pumping out remain propaganda and as for 'fair' ...

img

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I imagine I’ll have My vote withdrawn when the 4th Reich clicks its jack boots.

By legal default, on our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act you can still vote, so you will probably be fine, but despite the ECHR ruling that a blanket ban on all prisoners from voting was against Human rights, in the UK you could still lose your vote if you are locked up for a crime, so plead insanity if you are in the dock and want to keep your vote, reference this thread and your posts in your defence and you are nailed on for a successful plea.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't take it to heart my friend, Westdene is wrong again, and wrong to call you a c**t, because you are not a c**t.
You are a 24 carat wanker and a collosal ignoramus, but you are not a c**t.

Says the absolute chopper.Do you ********** watching Vince Cable,you yokel?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Congratulations to Donald Trump.After a two-year witch-hunt,totally exonerated!:bowdown:

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
She's an absolute sweetie.

creature-putting-down.png

petition9.png

A glance at her facebook page would suggest she isnt too happy about Brexit.
https://www.facebook.com/margaret.georgiadou

Did not remain MP`s vote against her deal as well ?

Indeed, seems odd people putting the blame of the withdrawal agreement not passing squarely at the ERG.

Even Ken Clarke is still trying to find out what Labours objections to the specifics of the withdrawal agreement part of the whole package are
Only a few days ago when Clarke voted in favour of the withdrawal agreement he interrupted Jeremy Corbyn trying to find out

Mr Kenneth Clarke
"As the right hon. Gentleman knows, I rather agree with him on the broad principles he sets out for our final aspirations and long-term goals, and indeed I voted with him in this House the last time he put the principles forward, but earlier he was giving his reasons for voting against the withdrawal agreement tonight, yet actually none of the things he mentioned had anything to do with the withdrawal agreement. Can he explain what his objection is to the deal we have on citizens’ rights, what his objection is to the agreement on the money we owe, and what on earth is his objection to the Irish backstop that leads him to put the whole thing in peril if he actually does carry out his threat to vote against it tonight?"

And again when he interrupted Kier Starmer a few moments later

Mr Kenneth Clarke
What I put to the Leader of the Opposition was that the only things we are settling today with this vote are the deal we have on citizens’ rights, the money we owe and the Irish backstop. Those are the only things that will be resolved if we pass this withdrawal agreement today. I still cannot understand what the Labour party’s objection is to any of those three.

As another poster said there's plenty above the age of 18 who perhaps shouldn't be allowed the vote, giving it to 16 years old people is not a very responsible approach. Of course there will be some fully capable of making the decision but i would be minded to believe they would be very much in the minority.

All rather a pointless argument anyway. The amendment to give the vote to 16 and 17 year olds in the 2016 referendum was defeated by a democratic vote in Parliament.
Some people just don’t like democratic votes though.

If people want 16 and 17 year olds to permanently have the vote, then make it a manifesto pledge, debate it thoroughly in Parliament, give it full parliamentary process and via primary legislation. Dont attach it as a one off thing in a referendum, that way opens up accusations of rigging the vote.
Of course we could have a referendum on it........:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A glance at her facebook page would suggest she isnt too happy about Brexit.
https://www.facebook.com/margaret.georgiadou

Indeed, seems odd people putting the blame of the withdrawal agreement not passing squarely at the ERG.

Even Ken Clarke is still trying to find out what Labours objections to the specifics of the withdrawal agreement part of the whole package are
Only a few days ago when Clarke voted in favour of the withdrawal agreement he interrupted Jeremy Corbyn trying to find out

Mr Kenneth Clarke
"As the right hon. Gentleman knows, I rather agree with him on the broad principles he sets out for our final aspirations and long-term goals, and indeed I voted with him in this House the last time he put the principles forward, but earlier he was giving his reasons for voting against the withdrawal agreement tonight, yet actually none of the things he mentioned had anything to do with the withdrawal agreement. Can he explain what his objection is to the deal we have on citizens’ rights, what his objection is to the agreement on the money we owe, and what on earth is his objection to the Irish backstop that leads him to put the whole thing in peril if he actually does carry out his threat to vote against it tonight?"

And again when he interrupted Kier Starmer a few moments later

Mr Kenneth Clarke
What I put to the Leader of the Opposition was that the only things we are settling today with this vote are the deal we have on citizens’ rights, the money we owe and the Irish backstop. Those are the only things that will be resolved if we pass this withdrawal agreement today. I still cannot understand what the Labour party’s objection is to any of those three.

All rather a pointless argument anyway. The amendment to give the vote to 16 and 17 year olds in the 2016 referendum was defeated by a democratic vote in Parliament.
Some people just don’t like democratic votes though.

If people want 16 and 17 year olds to permanently have the vote, then make it a manifesto pledge, debate it thoroughly in Parliament, give it full parliamentary process and via primary legislation. Dont attach it as a one off thing in a referendum, that way opens up accusations of rigging the vote.
Of course we could have a referendum on it........:lolol:

:lolol:

Voters.png

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
My passport says my nationality is British Citizen, always has done,any new passport i get will say the same.......……what does yours say?

Thanks for sharing this, but I was asking Baker lite for when he gives up his British citizenship next Friday. He is leaving our shores.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I dont recall him saying he was relinquishing his British citizenship next friday or leaving the country.

He said he will not be a citizen of the EU. Therefore he must be relinquishing his British citizenship. No he hasn't said he will leave the UK, he will become a citizen of some other nation living illegally in Worthing. Unless he gets a visa.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
He said he will not be a citizen of the EU. Therefore he must be relinquishing his British citizenship. No he hasn't said he will leave the UK, he will become a citizen of some other nation living illegally in Worthing. Unless he gets a visa.

So he is not relinquishing his British citizenship next friday or leaving the country after all…….cool story.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So, basically, he was right.

Banks just wants to sell cheap travel insurance. The rest of the campaign was being directed by Eton boys and those with enough cash to fund Cambridge Analytica. Well done on your authentic working class rebellion. Don't forget to touch your forelock "on your way" to the food bank.

One placard I liked at the march on Saturday read something like:

THE PROBLEM ISN'T ROMANIANS AND BULGARIANS.

IT'S ETONIANS.

This Brexiteer stuff about metropolitan elite remainers is just another of their PR heists.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If he is British he is also an EU citizen. If he is not an EU citizen it can only be assumed he will not be British.

Try to keep it to single syllable words for these people. They're very simple to even the most straightforward concepts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here