Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] County Ground development

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There's clearly no prospect of tests or (probably odi's) being held in Hove. Not enough seats/facilities, too many other grounds already vying for them and doesn't really fit in the objective of trying to get more games up north, away from Lords, the Oval etc.

My guess about what the money will spent on, (and I say again, I haven't seen the plans) is that a certain % will be spent on a few cosmetic improvements and the rest will be frittered on the sort of things sports clubs usually fritter their money on, ie players wages, club officials wages. Rob and Dizzy can't come cheap.

What I would like it to be spent on is something which has got genuine all weather money making capacity ... that ideally has something to do with cricket

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Think they sold out for every T20 last summer. That's not what cricket purists want to hear I know but it makes them a lot of money I guess. Also that 1 day match against the Aussies in 2017 sold out very early and could have sold a lot more tickets I think.

The Womens Ashes decider a couple of years ago was completely sold out and the two KSL Finals Days have been very well attended too.

Is there really a future for 4 day cricket? Attendances would suggest not.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Is there really a future for 4 day cricket? Attendances would suggest not.

Evidence for that?

Contrary to the earlier post about 200 pensioners in deck chairs, there are regularly 1,000 people/day at 4 day games, enjoying the proper cricket that helps to nurture England's Test success. The County Championship is a key complementary offer to the T20 game - what else would you use the ground for? Long term demographic changes mean there are more active retirees and part-time workers who can enjoy this form of the game. And it attracts staying visitors to B+H from away teams in a way that the 1 day game doesn't, with associated positive economic impact.

The risk is that all ECB marketing and finance effort is put into the 100-ball farce, of which Sussex will have no part, to the detriment of the County game.

The development makes sense as a commercial scheme I'm sure, and can hopefully help to evolve the County Ground for a long-term future.

PG

PS They should keep some deckchairs at the north end.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think they should follow the Hants route.

Sell up the County Ground for housing development and stick a Rose Bowl type affair on either Toads Hole Valley, Waterhall or the field to the South of Village Way. I am sure planning won't be a problem for any of those sites :)

In the very early days of the Falmer plan for the football ground the land south of Village Way was suggested as a location for the cricket club. Now it’s in the national park zone I can’t see that happening .

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In the very early days of the Falmer plan for the football ground the land south of Village Way was suggested as a location for the cricket club. Now it’s in the national park zone I can’t see that happening .

Can't they put in in pende?

Perseus would be ******* himself silly if that was suggested.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The cricketers is a naff pub with terrible food. If it gets redeveloped it is no loss - although i have never found the garden - so maybe i should check this out before writing it off. A poor drinks range & terrible food has always kept me away..

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...people are invited to give their feedback. Sussex Cricket chief executive Rob Andrew added: “Our facilities can be improved and there are many aspects which would make them more efficient and financially effective."

My feedback is demolish the cricketball court and build a football stadium instead :thumbsup:

:goal:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Haven't seen the plans in detail, but my first thought is that it could be a shame to lose the space. The Sussex Cricketers is some way off being the best pub in Hove, but it does have a beer garden.

All the talk of refurbishing the ground. Are there plans to make any significant changes to the match viewing part of it or is it minimal cosmetic changes being talked up to disguise the fact that a chunk of the land is being sold off for flats?

Amended for you.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The cricketers is a naff pub with terrible food. If it gets redeveloped it is no loss - although i have never found the garden - so maybe i should check this out before writing it off. A poor drinks range & terrible food has always kept me away..

Can’t agree with that I’m afraid. You’ve ever never been there or haven’t been for a number of years. The pub going is a big loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015

Sell up the County Ground for housing development and stick a Rose Bowl type affair on either Toads Hole Valley, Waterhall or the field to the South of Village Way. I am sure planning won't be a problem for any of those sites :)

Was at Hants a few times last year (am Sussex but was working down there for a few months). Many of the Hants fans I chatted to, in traditional cricket style of course, find the ground soulless. Its not that full apart from international games (varied) - county games, dead. Glamorgan - like a Sussex Village cricket turn out of fans. Most of the seats covered.
Sussex is hardly packed but does have atmosphere, plus as its not too full the snooze, with light snoring, after tea causes no offence. I just like the place.

All they need to do is bring back the Stonegate eggs, sorted.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sell it and move away from to car hating council. After all it’s Sussex CCC not Brighton and Hove. Nice ground near the centre of Sussex.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Nailed it. I knew people close to the club, they’ve been looking to do this for 10 plus years, to cash in on juicy luxury apartment prices.

Under BHCC’s black and white requirements, 40% of the new flats must be affordables, but the final development will not supply 16 affordables. SCCC will brow beat the planning officers with workings showing that such a scheme is unviable, that’s despite having a starting land cost of zero.

What a shame then that property prices are falling.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sell it and move away from to car hating council. After all it’s Sussex CCC not Brighton and Hove. Nice ground near the centre of Sussex.

Did you not read the post directly above yours?

:facepalm:

The County Ground is perfectly situated where it is. It all works well together: the slope, the deckchairs, the sea fret. The southern end is a bit of a mess, I think the redevelopment will only enhance the place ... as long as they keep the deckchairs

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Did you not read the post directly above yours?

:facepalm:

The County Ground is perfectly situated where it is. It all works well together: the slope, the deckchairs, the sea fret. The southern end is a bit of a mess, I think the redevelopment will only enhance the place ... as long as they keep the deckchairs

And a complete pain in the arse for anyone who lives outside Brighton and Hove. So sorry it’s not perfectly situated in my opinion facepalm facepalm

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

The thought of bowling downhill at Toads Hall is interesting - they are currently looking at housing (again).
Personally, it would be a bit like losing the Goldstone - lots of memories, including my Granddad hiring out the cushions for your six penneth of comfort. Sussex CCC can still prosper at the County Ground, whereas the Albion could never have developed the Goldstone to current premier standards. I think moving out of town would be the kiss of death for attendances and they should try and keep things going, however there’s only a limited amount of family silver they can sell off - they seem to have already burned the legacy that was going to make them sustainabe.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Was at Hants a few times last year (am Sussex but was working down there for a few months). Many of the Hants fans I chatted to, in traditional cricket style of course, find the ground soulless. Its not that full apart from international games (varied) - county games, dead. Glamorgan - like a Sussex Village cricket turn out of fans. Most of the seats covered.
Sussex is hardly packed but does have atmosphere, plus as its not too full the snooze, with light snoring, after tea causes no offence. I just like the place.

All they need to do is bring back the Stonegate eggs, sorted.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT makes me feel like I'm getting old...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here