Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Volunteers required

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Greetings.

As some of you know, i'm the Garden Manager of the Rockery opposite Preston Park. With the help of my volunteer group, community payback guys and my now retired manager, Jack Straw, we've turned the garden into a beautiful, award winning garden that i'm very proud of.

However, i've now been asked to take over the horticultural side of Preston Park.....the front beds (along the A23), the Dahlia border between the tennis courts and the annual border on the eastern side of the tennis courts.

So i'm going to be looking to recruit a team of around a dozen volunteers to help me. I'm looking at 3 hours a week. My current Rockery team do 3 hours a week and they make so much difference.

There will be weeding, edging, dead heading, general tidying, replanting and cutting back plants in winter....among other things. In return, you will be part of a team who will hopefully make new friends, work out in the open air, keep fit, learn a bit and make a difference to a beautiful park.

We will be looking to start this in late Feb/early March and it will be every Thursday between 10 and 1 (weather permitting). Coffee and biscuits are provided.

If you're interested, PM me and i'll give you my phone number so we can discuss.

Cheers

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you going to resurrect the flower beds that individual towns used to submit

I used to love seeing them from the bus on the way into brighton from patcham back in the 70's

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

I used to love seeing them from the bus on the way into brighton from patcham back in the 70's

Not going to promise anything at the moment. Will probably do a mix of herbaceous and direct sown hardy annual seeds at the moment. I doubt if it'll ever return to the days of the 70's but there maybe some scope.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

From when they were planted in June for the hot summer season of 1976, until October of that year, from 8.00 am in the morning until 5.00 pm, my job was to maintain those beds. That was my only job as a gardener in Preston Park for that period. Loved every second of it.
There were fourteen rectangular beds in the front strip of grass and three triangluar beds on the grass triangle outside the entrance to Preston Manor. Once I'd weeded, trimmed and watered a bed, it was on to the next one, and I just kept going Forth Bridge Painting Stylee until the plants were ripped out in the autumn.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
From when they were planted in June for the hot summer season of 1976, until October of that year, from 8.00 am in the morning until 5.00 pm, my job was to maintain those beds. That was my only job as a gardener in Preston Park for that period. Loved every second of it.
There were fourteen rectangular beds in the front strip of grass and three triangluar beds on the grass triangle outside the entrance to Preston Manor. Once I'd weeded, trimmed and watered a bed, it was on to the next one, and I just kept going Forth Bridge Painting Stylee until the plants were ripped out in the autumn.

During the war............

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not going to promise anything at the moment. Will probably do a mix of herbaceous and direct sown hardy annual seeds at the moment. I doubt if it'll ever return to the days of the 70's but there maybe some scope.

What about a return to the 70s after 29th March?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Does a volunteer actually have to know anything about gardening? Does a volunteer get taught the basics? Asking for a friend...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
When I visited Jevs' brilliant rockery last summer I was so disappointed with the flower beds in PP. They were once splendorous and in days past I think they used to win awards.

If Jevs can replicate his fine work at the rockery on the other side of the road it would be absolutely fantastic.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Did this job used to be done by a paid employee?. If so, i think it's wrong of people to volunteer to do it for free.

Yes, [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] said it was his job.

Local councils haven't employed lots of gardeners or professional plumbers, painters, chippies etc for a long time. They plead lack of money. People moan when the council tax goes up, so what can you do?
It's either volunteers now or let the place go to rack & ruin now.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Greetings.

As some of you know, i'm the Garden Manager of the Rockery opposite Preston Park. With the help of my volunteer group, community payback guys and my now retired manager, Jack Straw, we've turned the garden into a beautiful, award winning garden that i'm very proud of.

However, i've now been asked to take over the horticultural side of Preston Park.....the front beds (along the A23), the Dahlia border between the tennis courts and the annual border on the eastern side of the tennis courts.

So i'm going to be looking to recruit a team of around a dozen volunteers to help me. I'm looking at 3 hours a week. My current Rockery team do 3 hours a week and they make so much difference.

There will be weeding, edging, dead heading, general tidying, replanting and cutting back plants in winter....among other things. In return, you will be part of a team who will hopefully make new friends, work out in the open air, keep fit, learn a bit and make a difference to a beautiful park.

We will be looking to start this in late Feb/early March and it will be every Thursday between 10 and 1 (weather permitting). Coffee and biscuits are provided.

If you're interested, PM me and i'll give you my phone number so we can discuss.

Cheers

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden/

who looks after the walled garden near P. Manor? It's lovely in there too

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Did this job used to be done by a paid employee?. If so, i think it's wrong of people to volunteer to do it for free.

... and Samaritans, Hospital Volunteer Drivers, Meals on Meals, School Readers, RNLI, RSPCA, Blind Dogs, etc etc etc etc etc etc. When people is society volunteer they demonstrate the importance of this to others, they take pride in their community and it's for the betterment of everyone. Shirley nobody these days expects us to return to the days of paid parkies and the like, not going to happen becuase we all care too much about our personal taxation over the environment around us.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] said it was his job.

Local councils haven't employed lots of gardeners or professional plumbers, painters, chippies etc for a long time. They plead lack of money. People moan when the council tax goes up, so what can you do?
It's either volunteers now or let the place go to rack & ruin now.

Well. It's not really pleading lack of money .... it is lack of money.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
... and Samaritans, Hospital Volunteer Drivers, Meals on Meals, School Readers, RNLI, RSPCA, Blind Dogs, etc etc etc etc etc etc. When people is society volunteer they demonstrate the importance of this to others, they take pride in their community and it's for the betterment of everyone. Shirley nobody these days expects us to return to the days of paid parkies and the like, not going to happen becuase we all care too much about our personal taxation over the environment around us.

Too right mate. A few less people thinking solely of themselves when walking into a polling booth would make this country a nicer place

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here