Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wrong Team Selection

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Chris not having a Pop but reading of the above does tell a bit of a story.

Yep. Every win, bar Man Utd is an incredible stroke of luck, certainly not much to do with Hughton - his selection, coaching, recruitment, experience or tactics. Every draw should have been a win, and every defeat is definitely his negative tactics, being far too cautious or barring that - Dale Stephens and because we didn't "go for it".
And still we're 13th in the Prem League having been 21st in the Championship four years ago today when he arrived. Amazing.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Recently with YB, FA, MM & Bernardo the performances have been a lot better. Why today go back to the old guard ?

Well Bernardo (he's started for the last 5 games) and Montoya both started and Andone and Bissouma featured.
Or Hughton could have dropped Gross (he has done anyway several times this season), or Murray (he has done 4 times in the last 10 games). The idea that Hughton isn't featuring his new players , blindly sticking to the "old guard", and isn''t flexible with his selection isn't er, true.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No idea what some people expect. We are 13th in one of the toughest leagues in the world with a small budget. We lose to a top 6 side and it's always wrong team selection. It doesn't matter what team we put out today i felt Chelsea could have raised there game further. More often than not we will lose to a top 6 side. It's the nature of the beast.

This

Yep. Every win, bar Man Utd is an incredible stroke of luck, certainly not much to do with Hughton - his selection, coaching, recruitment, experience or tactics. Every defeat is definitely his negative tactics, being far too cautious or barring that - Dale Stephens and because we didn't "go for it".
And still we're 13th in the Prem League having been 21st in the Championship four years ago today when he arrived. Amazing.

And this. Fans always think they know better, especially after a game.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No idea what some people expect. We are 13th in one of the toughest leagues in the world with a small budget. We lose to a top 6 side and it's always wrong team selection. It doesn't matter what team we put out today i felt Chelsea could have raised there game further. More often than not we will lose to a top 6 side. It's the nature of the beast.

I was in the 'wrong team selection' camp last night – I even said on here last night – until I watched MoTD2 last night. There, the guys were talking about the tactics of playing against a team like Chelsea – do you go for it all guns blazing and risk getting torn a new one, or do you try and contain it and THEN open up a bit in the second half if you're still in the game. The analysis showed that following the subs, there were more people getting up and in the box than there had been in the first half. I know that first 45 wasn't great, but 2-0 could've been worse and then we wouldn't be in the position where a draw was still possible in the final moments.

I know CH is viewed as getting a lot wrong, but he hasn't got where he is now by being a bad manager. I'm not saying he's right all the time, but he had a game plan which – on another day – could've worked...

Both interesting points. I wonder if we'd started with Andone and Bissouma, would Chelsea have just raised their game and battered us.
In the first half you got the feeling that if they'd really want to they could've kept playing like they did for the first goal with the one touch football and Hazard getting in gaps looking for the ball round the corner.

The problem is that Chelsea have much better players, whatever team Chris puts out that will always be the case.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yep. Every win, bar Man Utd is an incredible stroke of luck, certainly not much to do with Hughton - his selection, coaching, recruitment, experience or tactics. Every draw should have been a win, and every defeat is definitely his negative tactics, being far too cautious or barring that - Dale Stephens and because we didn't "go for it".
Excellent post. All moaners please note. It is a parody but not far from the truth for most of you.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Guess that’s what I should have said rather than my flippant comment.

I think some people’s expectations are way way too high at the moment and all seem to know better than our management team, who clearly can’t see the blindingly obvious, apparently!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Shock horror someone has an opinion about football and posts it on a football noticeboard and worse still has only posted 8 times before.

CH made his selection and he knows more about football & the team than me. By half time (well before that really) it was clear that there were issues with it Murray was getting little joy, Gross was off the pace and the midfield two were struggling. Not surprising we were playing a top team. The two subs he made had a big impact on the game and should have been on at half time. Whether it would have changed the result who knows but it certainly rattled them.

IMO Andone & Bissouma should have been on the start as we have looked more fluid with them.

el punal

Today’s match was a almost a “Free Hit”. We now have a stronger squad and are in a better league position.
I was surprised to see DS in the team. I appreciate it was his 1st game back in a few weeks, but he was way off the pace today. He plays sideways or backwards. It’s as if he is not allowed to break into the oppositions half! Every time he gets close to an opposition player he seems to give a free kick away. Let’s remember he got his ban for the challenge at Cardiff, which was all down to his poor touch in the initial challenge.
Up front we had Muzza who we all love but we do know his strengths & weaknesses. He can’t be running Doggy’s & with PG in behind him, he has no one who can get on to any flick ons or make a forward run from midfield. I felt he was Mugged off today due to the team selection. At least give him a chance to play to his strengths. YB does at least offer this. Why not start with FA who has done well, knowing you have the back up of Muzza. There CB’s had an easy 60mins against him today.
Let’s summarise league fixtures-
Chelsea H- CH wrong selection, only got competitive when changes made after 60 mins, when already 2 down. A training game for the opposition for 60mins.
Burnley A- A better away performance, should of got a point.
Palace H- Great effort by the 10 men, to get a Legendary win.
Hudds A- Good win albeit against 10 men.
Leics H- 2 points dropped due to negative tactics.
Cardiff A- Unlucky to not get a point due to DS poor decision making.
Everton A- Beaten fair & Square by a better team.
Wolves H- Lucky 3 PTS.
Newcastle A- Gritty deserved away win.
West Ham H- Lucky 3 PTS.
Man City- Fair result.
Spurs H- Far to Passive from the start, should of got about them. They weren’t in good shape with a Rookie keeper who we never put under any pressure.
Saints A- Terrible start played for 2nd half & scrambled a point.
Fulham H- Slack defending, missed Pen, good character to come from behind 2 PTS dropped.
Liverpool A- A fair performance without really threatening with an error from a young player gifts them a goal. No damage done.
Man U H- Thoroughly deserved win with 3 1st half goals scored, tells its own story. A fast start taking it to the opposition.
Watford A- Total No show.
Recently with YB, FA, MM & Bernardo the performances have been a lot better. Why today go back to the old guard ? It’s as if CH thinks we aren’t expected to get anything so let’s give them minutes on the pitch.
2 down after 33 mins when clearly not making any impression on them, why not send out the 4 attacking players on the bench to warm up before HT. At least to give a few of the onfield players a kick up the breadcrumb.
No subs at HT.
No improvement in performance until 60 mins when first change was made.
Chris not having a Pop but reading of the above does tell a bit of a story.
We need Pace & Energy to be competitive in every match. Please be positive in team selection away at Bmuff. Happy Xmas to you all X

Wow! That looks like the reply I get from Southern Fail when I make a complaint. :eek:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Let's not forget that this wrong team selection managed to go into half time only 2 down to Chelski (featuring Hazard among others). We were still in the game, just. We managed to get 1 back and game on. I really enjoyed the second half and we nearly got a result against mighty Chelski. Also don't forget they were so worried they took a booking for time wasting against lil' old Brighton. All this with the wrong team selection.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd like to offer an opinion but don't know if I have enough posts to be allowed one yet?

Big mistake for me was Murray. I can sort of see why Stephens was picked even if I didn't agree, but Andone should be first choice now ahead of Murray for me.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If Andone becomes first choice ahead of Murray I would expect to see a rather different player than he is as sub on for the last 35 minutes. He would certainly need to spread his effort across the game more and also for a period when the defenders are fresher. Perhaps this is why he made limited impact at Burnley.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I was in the 'wrong team selection' camp last night – I even said on here last night – until I watched MoTD2 last night. There, the guys were talking about the tactics of playing against a team like Chelsea – do you go for it all guns blazing and risk getting torn a new one, or do you try and contain it and THEN open up a bit in the second half if you're still in the game. The analysis showed that following the subs, there were more people getting up and in the box than there had been in the first half. I know that first 45 wasn't great, but 2-0 could've been worse and then we wouldn't be in the position where a draw was still possible in the final moments.

I know CH is viewed as getting a lot wrong, but he hasn't got where he is now by being a bad manager. I'm not saying he's right all the time, but he had a game plan which – on another day – could've worked...

If you go out with a mentality that you want to lose by as little as possible then guess what... you always lose, with the only variant being by how much. We went out there yesterday accepting our fate for the first 60 minutes, and that's the most disappointing thing as a paying fan - I don't want to pay to turn up and see my team set up to lose the game by as little as possible because that attitude at top level sport is just pathetic.,

And therein lies the center of most peoples' complaints - we don't mind losing (heck, we're used to it as Brighton fans), it's the manner of a loss which is the most galling thing. And in our case this season, it's that the manner of our losses tend to represent a pattern in how we lose games.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Let's not forget that this wrong team selection managed to go into half time only 2 down to Chelski (featuring Hazard among others). We were still in the game, just. We managed to get 1 back and game on. I really enjoyed the second half and we nearly got a result against mighty Chelski. Also don't forget they were so worried they took a booking for time wasting against lil' old Brighton. All this with the wrong team selection.

We managed to go in only 2 down? You make this sound like a success at home. It isn't.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
If you go out with a mentality that you want to lose by as little as possible then guess what... you always lose, with the only variant being by how much. We went out there yesterday accepting our fate for the first 60 minutes, and that's the most disappointing thing as a paying fan - I don't want to pay to turn up and see my team set up to lose the game by as little as possible because that attitude at top level sport is just pathetic.,

And therein lies the center of most peoples' complaints - we don't mind losing (heck, we're used to it as Brighton fans), it's the manner of a loss which is the most galling thing. And in our case this season, it's that the manner of our losses tend to represent a pattern in how we lose games.

I suspect (but I don't have that many posts so have no credence) that Hughton's strategy is a bigger picture view over the season and he sees a reasonable negative goal difference as a point gained over other relegation candidates.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I suspect (but I don't have that many posts so have no credence) that Hughton's strategy is a bigger picture view over the season and he sees a reasonable negative goal difference as a point gained over other relegation candidates.

Quite possibly, but if so it's a flawed strategy as it's points that move you up the table.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Well, sure Hughton's strategy is most definitely a bigger picture view over the season - but I don't mean that in a 'goal difference' sense but in a team selection sense.

He clearly sees the next step for this team as one with more pace, more power throughout - and younger players introduced - but he's going to do this gradually and as an evolution, not revolution. It makes sense, Firstly it wouldn't be good to say to Murray or Stephens or Bruno or Bong - thanks very much, you're now dropped for good with a new player taking your place. If he does that he'll kill the amazing team spirit that he's renowned for. Second, bedding new players - younger players and those new to the premier league - in isn't the easiest thing, give them a few games, then rest them, then bring them back. In the long run that will do the likes of Bissouma, AJ, Andone the world of good, stops them getting exhausted with the mental pressures of 90 minutes in the premier league every week until they're used to it, and allows them to evaluate and work on their game and especially work on Hughton's game plans.

But the end result of this will be this quicker, more aggressive team allied to our solid defence and quick-passing game with exciting wingers that we've got used to - that could be awesome.

Those who criticise Chris and say wrong team selection should look at the fact that he is actually showing lots of willingness to get these new types of player into the team - Bernardo, Andone, Bissouma - and going back to last year Izquierdo and Schelotto (before that went wrong) - but this is going to be a gradual process and he isn't the kind of guy to see a couple of good football halves from Andone and then instantly drop Murray

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
We managed to go in only 2 down? You make this sound like a success at home. It isn't.

What I meant by that was at 2 down we had a chance to get back in the game which we did but wouldn't have at 3 down. What the score at half time would have been with Biss and Andone on I haven't a clue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here