Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Star Wars - Han Solo Movie - Spoilers

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Very meh for me, seen it all before many times. Great visuals and fight scenes, poor plot and character developement. Purely done for the dollar, no other reason for this film to exist. 67 out of 100

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay, what's been said? Just seen it today - liked it, more than I thought I would. Alden Ehrenreich got his performance just about right, tough one following Ford (or preceding...) and the biggest worry for me, but I thought he got the roguish banter, the self referential comments just about right. It stood on it's own nicely, and the genesis of Star Wars biggest partnership outside of droids being formed I really enjoyed. The plot worked well for me, at a time of oppression the black market thrives; an apt precursor to Leia's proclamation to Moff Tarkin 'the more you squeeze the more star systems will slip through your fingers'. At some point however, it's not enough just to earn a living in the margins evading authority, you have to fight for something, and we see those traits forged into Han's early years.

Also liked the subtle overlapping into Star Wars without any grand gestures, the Star Destroyer under construction, the radar orbs being build in the factory, the simple drawing of the death star diagram of what was to come. This didn't need to run seamlessly into the main films, and didn't look to broaden it's focus behind this short moment in Solo's life when what shaped him occurred. Liked it. Keep them coming I say.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was ok but no real tension in the film as you knew that nothing was going to happen to Han, Chewie, or Lando. I liked the film overall but the editing was poor - looked like it had been cobbled together by many hands. Worth catching if you like the SW univererse, but I cant help but feel all these new films are diluting the original trilogy which was pretty good and now a distant memory.

You say that, but I thought Rogue One actually adds to A New Hope. You watch Rogue One, and you realise the desperation, the fear, and what has just gone before when Vadar steps on that ship. It was an epic ending and I actually think it does make ANH even more epic as it starts.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, Rogue One added to New Hope. The others in the current run of films have, to a greater or lesser degree, detracted from them

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Saw it last week. A good if somewhat forgettable film. The GOT Doris can't act at all and was given a masterclass in how to do it by a criminally underused Thandie Newton. Woody plays a good part as does Paul Betteny wringing every last ounce of dialogue out of his chracter.

Not sure on the Darth Maul twist. Yeah I know he was brought back in Star wars Rebels but surely the whole point of chopping him in half was that he was definitely dead? It's up there with Jason Statham appearing in Crank 2 after falling 30000 feet without a parachute. Still, I'd watch a second one and it's a decent way to entertain the kids for 20 quid.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I want to see it but have always been a bit of a geek.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Okay, what's been said? Just seen it today - liked it, more than I thought I would. Alden Ehrenreich got his performance just about right, tough one following Ford (or preceding...) and the biggest worry for me, but I thought he got the roguish banter, the self referential comments just about right. It stood on it's own nicely, and the genesis of Star Wars biggest partnership outside of droids being formed I really enjoyed. The plot worked well for me, at a time of oppression the black market thrives; an apt precursor to Leia's proclamation to Moff Tarkin 'the more you squeeze the more star systems will slip through your fingers'. At some point however, it's not enough just to earn a living in the margins evading authority, you have to fight for something, and we see those traits forged into Han's early years.

Also liked the subtle overlapping into Star Wars without any grand gestures, the Star Destroyer under construction, the radar orbs being build in the factory, the simple drawing of the death star diagram of what was to come. This didn't need to run seamlessly into the main films, and didn't look to broaden it's focus behind this short moment in Solo's life when what shaped him occurred. Liked it. Keep them coming I say.

The thing i found with this film was that there was only a few things we kinda knew about Han from the original movie trilogy, the winning of the Millennium Falcon from Lando, the Dice were on display in the New Hope, He did the Kesler run in 12 Parsecs, etc.

The whole film felt like it tried to shoehorn these few known background facts into this movie with no sense of any time passing in his life (so all occurred within a few days of each other) It was clearly set up to have a sequel or 2, yet these where all included in the 1st part without much more character building

It could have been interesting, but as others have said, it's quite unimaginative and we've seen it all before compared to what could have been

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The thing i found with this film was that there was only a few things we kinda knew about Han from the original movie trilogy, the winning of the Millennium Falcon from Lando, the Dice were on display in the New Hope, He did the Kesler run in 12 Parsecs, etc.

The whole film felt like it tried to shoehorn these few known background facts into this movie with no sense of any time passing in his life (so all occurred within a few days of each other) It was clearly set up to have a sequel or 2, yet these where all included in the 1st part without much more character building

It could have been interesting, but as others have said, it's quite unimaginative and we've seen it all before compared to what could have been

It was set over a few years wasn’t it? Didn’t 3 years pass from him separated at the space port to him meeting Woody on the battle field?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It was set over a few years wasn’t it? Didn’t 3 years pass from him separated at the space port to him meeting Woody on the battle field?

That bit was, but the winning of the Falcon and the Kesler run were from the same point in the story, as i said, the little we knew from earlier films were all from the same incident in his timeline.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
It’s Kessel Run!!! ffs!

Kesler is an ice hockey Centre for the Anaheim Ducks!

Stop getting Star Wars wrong!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

You seem literally the only person who would rather they did 3 uneccessary films as opposed to fitting all the key bits of story into a couple of hours.

Would have been shit if they hadn't shown Lando, the Falcon and the Kessle run imho.

All in all, a good fun film with enough star wars nods to keep most happy. 7.5/10

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
You seem literally the only person who would rather they did 3 uneccessary films as opposed to fitting all the key bits of story into a couple of hours.

Would have been shit if they hadn't shown Lando, the Falcon and the Kessle run imho.

All in all, a good fun film with enough star wars nods to keep most happy. 7.5/10

All about right IMO.

Surprised how they ended it though - I thought (perhaps naively) that the idea of the spin-off movies was that they would be individual / self-contained stories, yet the ending to this one - Han's girl going off to meet / join forces with Maul, was absolutely set up for a sequel, it felt.

If not, they'd have killed her off - character building / hardening up of the Han we later 'know'.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All about right IMO.

Surprised how they ended it though - I thought (perhaps naively) that the idea of the spin-off movies was that they would be individual / self-contained stories, yet the ending to this one - Han's girl going off to meet / join forces with Maul, was absolutely set up for a sequel, it felt.

If not, they'd have killed her off - character building / hardening up of the Han we later 'know'.

It's either set up for a sequel, or Kira and Maul appear in episode 9. There is of course the story of Han's dealings with Jabba, and the fact they shot scenes in the original making of ANH, which Lucas reintroduced in his rebooted versions. It would just be another heist movie though, so not sure there is the mileage there.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It's either set up for a sequel, or Kira and Maul appear in episode 9. There is of course the story of Han's dealings with Jabba, and the fact they shot scenes in the original making of ANH, which Lucas reintroduced in his rebooted versions. It would just be another heist movie though, so not sure there is the mileage there.

Timeline wise, I could see a sequel, but for those two characters to reappear in Episode 9 (thus to have been around, but not appeared at all, during the events of Episodes 4,5,6,7 and 8) seems a bit hard to swallow. Qi'ra is human, I guess, so she'd also be really OLD.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Timeline wise, I could see a sequel, but for those two characters to reappear in Episode 9 (thus to have been around, but not appeared at all, during the events of Episodes 4,5,6,7 and 8) seems a bit hard to swallow. Qi'ra is human, I guess, so she'd also be really OLD.

You're probably right, a sequel or a 'Boba Fett' film across the same timeline is probably more likely. You'd then have Han, Jabba, Fett and Maul potentially in that gap between the end of Solo and the start of ANH.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
You're probably right, a sequel or a 'Boba Fett' film across the same timeline is probably more likely. You'd then have Han, Jabba, Fett and Maul potentially in that gap between the end of Solo and the start of ANH.

and VADER.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I think the whole franchise is trying to tie up the loose ends from the originals so it can stand on its own two feet.

Jury is out as to if this will be successful.

Although I will probably keep watching as they remain entertaining.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Maul is killed (again) in Star wars Rebels by obi wan on Tattoine near the start of a New hope in or around the Rougue 1 timeline. He shouldn't pop up after that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here