Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andone

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Many strikers are encouraged to shoot between the keeper's legs if he is braced to go either way on a shot. If they get it right it's an almost certain goal as there is no way the keeper can get down to the ball. I'm not saying that Andone did it deliberately but it was the best place to put the ball - so maybe luck didn't play such a big part?.

I think you're right in situations when you haven't got the whole goal to aim at. A keepers instinctive reaction will be to spread himself thinly across what part of the goal can be defended, and as such the ball can go straight through him when hit at his legs. However, last night to shoot right at the keeper with whole goal gaping simply gives the keeper a chance he shouldn't have.

Anyway, on to the next game where hopefully Andone plays a blinder after the confidence boost a goal can give. :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In my opinion, the thing most wrong with this place is the incessant streams consciousness from people who clearly think they are "a bit of a character" but in reality are tedious bores.

Oh sorry, was it a rhetorical question?

Nobody will forget how you got pissy when people started correctly realising CMS was gash with you clapping along like a seal. Do you ever have an articulate opinion on a player that doesn't fall in line with the accepted view?

Meanwhile, seeing as I'm the clearly target of this post, where have I deemed "he's not up to it"? I'm expressing concern that he might not be, and nothing I saw yesterday really quells that worry. I was actually delighted when we signed Andone, and in all honesty I think if he puts away some of the more straight forward chances, he'll be a great asset. But yesterday he missed from six yards and then nearly made a mess of that equaliser. It concerns me.

I'm with you to a point....clearly he was the bees knees when he scored against Huddersfield and then more importantly against Palace ....people were championing him and almost suggesting Murray's reign was over...when clearly it wasn't ..Andone to me seems a raw talent and he's a lot to learn in the PL....re the incident the thread is taking about..the commentator said ''he knew what he was doing'' how's that then? There is no doubt he can go in hard ...thats what got David Luiz all upset...but it was fair..he overstepped the mark last night ..although I actually thought it was upper arm and not elbow that caught him ..re the goal..lucky? How many top strikers slide it through the legs of a goalie and then people say great goal...re finishing ...what was Glens nickname one in ten? .....Its early days and maybe the pendulum of opinion swung too far to the good side..like I said he's got a lot to learn

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm with you to a point....clearly he was the bees knees when he scored against Huddersfield and then more importantly against Palace ....people were championing him and almost suggesting Murray's reign was over...when clearly it wasn't ..Andone to me seems a raw talent and he's a lot to learn in the PL....re the incident the thread is taking about..the commentator said ''he knew what he was doing'' how's that then? There is no doubt he can go in hard ...thats what got David Luiz all upset...but it was fair..he overstepped the mark last night ..although I actually thought it was upper arm and not elbow that caught him ..re the goal..lucky? How many top strikers slide it through the legs of a goalie and then people say great goal...re finishing ...what was Glens nickname one in ten? .....Its early days and maybe the pendulum of opinion swung too far to the good side..like I said he's got a lot to learn

I know they joked about it, but Jason Roberts would have had a red card every 5 - 10 games if that was really the case. I didn't think it was as clear cut as people seem to be saying, I think he took one in the face, was being roughed up and it was more about making himself big and protecting the ball. His arm comes up, it doesn't look good at all, but I don't think it was really a genuine throwing of the arm/elbow. Players reactions of often an indicative sign, and I didn't really see any West Brom players up in arms about it, just Livermore querying with the ref.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Many strikers are encouraged to shoot between the keeper's legs if he is braced to go either way on a shot. If they get it right it's an almost certain goal as there is no way the keeper can get down to the ball. I'm not saying that Andone did it deliberately but it was the best place to put the ball - so maybe luck didn't play such a big part?.

I think he did do not deliberately. The commentators said last night it is difficult for a keeper to change the position of his feet in that situation. A hand is much more capable of making a "stunning reflex save".

I thought he showed last night much of why we bought him : fast, harrying, aggressive. Just at one point a bit too aggressive. I imagine he'll get done by the FA.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I could understand this if we were a season in.
I could understand if we'd watched countless near misses.
Sadly because of the nature of the game I could understand if he cost £25m.
I could even understand it if we supported Newcastle.
The next Shearer, Cole, Ginola, Asprilla, Ferndinand et Al isn't walking through their tunnel anytime soon

But "the jury is still out" whatever that means, esp as seemingly the jury consists of you and Spence who has pathologically hated every new signing, doesn't seem too balanced.

Andone arrived injured.
It's still only February.
He's made a handful of starts.
More 15 minutes cameos (word up)
He was cheap.
He's panicked every back 4 he's lined up against.
He has scored 4 (?) goals.
Including goal of the year, season, decade.

What more do you want from an Albion striker who is filling a role that only 2 players in recent history and 3 in total have universally owned.

We've been so starved of strikers for my 40 years I don't see how you can be even the slightest bit down on his fella.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Nor will failing to look remotely like scoring against a championship fringe side *and* behaving like a prick.

He scored and caused them problems all night. Great performance by him, **** it lets make football non contact and re brand it Netball ffs.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Andone is pretty clearly a top quality player, but the elbow was unnecessary. He'll be banned, and fairly so.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I could understand this if we were a season in.
I could understand if we'd watched countless near misses.
Sadly because of the nature of the game I could understand if he cost £25m.
I could even understand it if we supported Newcastle.
The next Shearer, Cole, Ginola, Asprilla, Ferndinand et Al isn't walking through their tunnel anytime soon

But "the jury is still out" whatever that means, esp as seemingly the jury consists of you and Spence who has pathologically hated every new signing, doesn't seem too balanced.

Andone arrived injured.
It's still only February.
He's made a handful of starts.
More 15 minutes cameos (word up)
He was cheap.
He's panicked every back 4 he's lined up against.
He has scored 4 (?) goals.
Including goal of the year, season, decade.

What more do you want from an Albion striker who is filling a role that only 2 players in recent history and 3 in total have universally owned.

We've been so starved of strikers for my 40 years I don't see how you can be even the slightest bit down on his fella.

The fact that you point out Andone arrived injured, it is still only February and that he has made a handful of starts suggests that you unbelievably really don't understand what "the jury is still out" actually means. Incredible, this ought to be basic English for a grown-up.

It means I am undecided on how good he is. As for what I want - I want a striker who doesn't risk us losing games with petulant acts of off-the-ball aggression, and obviously one who puts the ball in the net fairly frequently. He scored yesterday, but on another day he'd have been sent off and we lose the tie, or the keeper saves his effort and we lose the tie. That's why the jury is out for me.

Just to reiterate, I was wrong to say he didn't look remotely like scoring yesterday, but equally I have never said he is shit either which is what I am finding irritating about some of the smart arse responses to what I did actually say.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Against West Brom in the first game he was absolute dreadful. Even doing air shots.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Against West Brom in the first game he was absolute dreadful. Even doing air shots.

Expect Stat Bore to tell you in some tediously long winded post why you're wrong to point this out. If that doesn't happen, chailyjem will be along to tell you how actually, he was desperately unlucky not to have scored ten in that one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The fact that you point out Andone arrived injured, it is still only February and that he has made a handful of starts suggests that you unbelievably really don't understand what "the jury is still out" actually means. Incredible, this ought to be basic English for a grown-up.

It means I am undecided on how good he is. As for what I want - I want a striker who doesn't risk us losing games with petulant acts of off-the-ball aggression, and obviously one who puts the ball in the net fairly frequently. He scored yesterday, but on another day he'd have been sent off and we lose the tie, or the keeper saves his effort and we lose the tie. That's why the jury is out for me.

Ah the jury is still out for you.
You keep missing that bit off which seems rather important as by the replies you've received you clearly aren't talking about the the jury still being out for the majority.

For a poster who correctly gets very agitated when you are on the receiving end of personal insults you seem incredibly eager to dish out them out.

Why would that be?

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
WTF is wrong with this place?

We as fans have watched a succession of hoofers (probably a couple of should be roofers), donkeys, the disinterested, down right lazy, talentless powderpuff nimrods as strikers, not to mention all the loanees who make the aforementioned look like Messi, con a living from the Albion.

Now the moment someone arrives who scores goals, and joy of joys is a nasty piece of work to boot, he's deemed not up too it.

What's the point.

Totally agree...............................Everyone was raving about Mitrovitch the other week because of his aggression. Then when Andone starts to put himself about on the pitch we are calling him some sort of ''Thug'' which actually he isn't. He has the aggression needed to succeed and a striker. Remove that from his game and he will be no good. The lad has 'desire to succeed'' and that's what you need from a striker..

In a real top side, that lad would exceed 20 goals a season. He is not as calm as Murray in front of goal but boy does he know where the net is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah the jury is still out for you.
You keep missing that bit off which seems rather important as by the replies you've received you clearly aren't talking about the the jury still being out for the majority.

So when I said this...

I hope they both progress, and I'm they both might. I am just saying the jury is out - last night certainly didn't allay my fears.
... it was beyond your wit to infer that this was my own personal view? Really?

For a poster who correctly gets very agitated when you are on the receiving end of personally insults you seem incredibly eager to dish out them out.

Why would that be?
I'll tell you why. Because you posted your usual everyman crap at my expense, by putting words in my mouth.

You asked "WTF is wrong with this place?" Well you tell me, because the clear implication is that anyone not entirely sure of Andone's worth is contributing to making this board worse than it might be.

Then you said "Now the moment someone arrives who scores goals, and joy of joys is a nasty piece of work to boot, he's deemed not up too it." More absolute shit. Nobody ever deemed him not up to it. Spence had the temerity to say he's unsure, and I've agreed with him. Nobody has said he's not up to it. Still, six thumbsup for you, which is clearly what a whacky, bit-of-a-character like you lives for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So when I said this...

... it was beyond your wit to infer that this was my own personal view? Really?

I'll tell you why. Because you posted your usual everyman crap at my expense, by putting words in my mouth.

You said "WTF is wrong with this place?" Well you tell me, because the clear implication is that anyone not entirely sure of Andone's worth is contributing to making this place worse than it might be.

Then you said "Now the moment someone arrives who scores goals, and joy of joys is a nasty piece of work to boot, he's deemed not up too it." More absolute shit. Nobody ever deemed him not up to it. Spence had the temerity to say he's unsure, and I've agreed with him. Nobody has said he's not up to it. Still, six thumbsup for you, which is clearly what a whacky, bit-of-a-character like you lives for.

That'll be Spence Jurgen "Not Even A Footballer " Locadia and Maty "Get Rid Now" you'll be quoting there.

You carry on being unsure.
I'll carry on being properly excited by an Albion striker.

If he doesn't 'make it' c'est la vie, I'd have enjoyed the good times

Nov 27, 2018
OK so last weekend he went down clutching his face as if Kim Jong-un had used his face as target practice. It lost us possession as we kicked the ball out for him. Today he elbowed a WBA player and got away with it (should have been sent off).

I like to think of Brighton and Hove Albion as being a nice club (not a soft touch but a club that wouldn't employ Joey Barton) so I was a bit embarrassed by 2 bob tonight. Am I being a snowflake?

Yes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That'll be Spence Jurgen "Not Even A Footballer " Locadia and Maty "Get Rid Now" you'll be quoting there.

You carry on being unsure.
I'll carry on being properly excited by an Albion striker.

If he doesn't 'make it' c'est la vie, I'd have enjoyed the good times
I laughed at his comments on Ryan, I thought they were daft. But that doesn't mean I'll always disagree with him.

Hopefully I won't "carry on" being unsure. At some point I'll form a rounded opinion, but seeing as you pointed out it's only Feb and he only has a handful of starts, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable not to have formed a full opinion of him yet. Meanwhile, I'm sure you'll carry on being properly excited by an Albion striker - all the while popular opinion tells you to do that. That's just what you do every single time. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I laughed at his comments on Ryan, I thought they were daft. But that doesn't mean I'll always disagree with him.

Hopefully I won't "carry on" being unsure. At some point I'll form a rounded opinion, but seeing as you pointed out it's only Feb and he only has a handful of starts, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable not to have formed a full opinion of him yet. Meanwhile, I'm sure you'll carry on being properly excited by an Albion striker - all the while popular opinion tells you to do that. That's just what you do every single time. :shrug:

Cool, I hope Mr Andone gives you good reason to enjoy his play, it would be a shame if a critical eye got in the way of him scaring the opposition centre backs.

After all, as said, 'fun' forwards are so few and far between for us, we can't guarantee another one any time soon

If only the club could pick them like it can centre backs!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here