Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dropping like a stone

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've been waiting for the the first pundit to come out with this cliche when discussing teams to go down. Here on the ship we get PLTV via a channel called Sport 24. On Premier League Today, the pundits with Mark Pougatch were Tim Sherwood & Andy Townsend.
Timmy then came out with what I've been expecting to hear sooner or later. "There's always one team that comes dropping like a stone from nowhere in to the bottom 3, & this year it looks like Brighton who are on a terrible run of form".

He then went on to say that he thinks the current bottom 3 will go down, but then remembering what he'd just said, added "maybe Brighton".

Let's hope we can shut this goon up.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Nothing to worry about, the bottom 3 are shit. Hughton's suggestion we're in a relegation fight is embarrassing and premature but fully representative of his negative and overly cautious manner. Grow a pair and aim up the table. We've still got several teams who are dreadful away from home yet to play at the Amex, where we're interested in winning games of football.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nothing to worry about, the bottom 3 are shit. Hughton's suggestion we're in a relegation fight is embarrassing and premature but fully representative of his negative and overly cautious manner. Grow a pair and aim up the table. We've still got several teams who are dreadful away from home yet to play at the Amex, where we're interested in winning games of football.

Also representative of a large proportion of NSC posters! :albion2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember there was some analysis which debunked this idea there is regularly a team which drops like a stone and gets relegated.

el punal

The negative and overly cautious manner that Hughton took our team from the relegation zone in the Championship to promotion to the Premier League and kept us there? Still, I’m sure he’ll take your illuminating comments on board and adjust his tactics accordingly. :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Even on current form we'll reach 37/38 points. Should be enough. In reality we'll finish with more.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I remember there was some analysis which debunked this idea there is regularly a team which drops like a stone and gets relegated.

Its the same as in the championship 'there is always a team that comes from nowhere to finish in the play offs'. Not really the case (Fulham maybe last year), but sure I read a stat saying the top 6 in the championship are normally in the top 10 by Christmas.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Even if the season really fizzles out and we continue on poor form, we'll still stay up fairly comfortably.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Nice to see some confidence but I'm not convinced .

Lose to Burnley and may actually start thinking we will drop

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
At the moment and unfortunately "dropping like a stone" does describe our form over the last 10 games. We sit second from bottom in the Form Table with Huddersfield the only team below us and their form has been appalling. OK so we've got some winnable games coming up but many of the teams around us have taken positive action (ie replaced managers, brought in new players etc) to try and improve their position whereas we have done nothing so those games are not looking quite so winnable. We'll see but there's no doubt a win on Saturday will be a massive and much needed confidence boost all round. Burnley are no mugs though.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Tim Sherwood. Wasn't that the bloke who was very picky at which club he wanted to manage and how much he was worth?
Believe he was top of our list as well except he would NEVER lower himself to the championship.
Are any of the big clubs after his services? Indeed, will Spurs call should Poch go to OT, nope I doubt it. After all, they sacked him!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been waiting for the the first pundit to come out with this cliche when discussing teams to go down. Here on the ship we get PLTV via a channel called Sport 24. On Premier League Today, the pundits with Mark Pougatch were Tim Sherwood & Andy Townsend.
Timmy then came out with what I've been expecting to hear sooner or later. "There's always one team that comes dropping like a stone from nowhere in to the bottom 3, & this year it looks like Brighton who are on a terrible run of form".

He then went on to say that he thinks the current bottom 3 will go down, but then remembering what he'd just said, added "maybe Brighton".

Let's hope we can shut this goon up.

Is there?

Not saying he's definitely wrong, but is there really – every season – a club that gets sucked into relegation 'from nowhere'?

EDIT: I see HT has already answered my question!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
League positions of the relegated teams at week 25:

2017/18: 17, 18, 20
2016/17: 16, 18, 20
2015/16: 17, 18, 20
2014/15: 16, 17, 19
2013/14: 15, 19, 20

Cheers [MENTION=36353]schmunk[/MENTION]. Good to see there's no 13s in there :lol:

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Don't think we'll be in trouble come end'ut season but we could do with a couple years of morale boosting wins now to ease the anxiety! We were unlucky vs Watford & could have taken something from Man U or L'pool while Fulham was a fail. Probably time to play shit & win.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Our last six games were,
Watford, home, currently 8th Draw
Fulham, away currently 19th lost
Manchester United away currently 5th lost
Liverpool home, currently 1st lost
Everton home currently 9th won
West Ham away currently 12th Draw

Our next six
Burnley home currently 17th
Leicester away currently 11th
Huddersfield home currently 20th
Palace away currently 14th
Cardiff home currently 18th
Southampton home currently 16th

Our last six league games have been far harder ( on paper) than our next 6 appear to be. If we get to the Spurs game, still 2nd bottom in the form table, I’ll start to worry.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here