Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton statement

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If Palace had lost to Cardiff, we'd be preparing for Championship football. You can't say CH "kept us up" if the results he achieved meant relegation if not for another result completely out of his hands.

But he did keep us up. Got enough points over the season to enable us to finish 17th. You can’t pick a single result between two other teams as the deciding factor.........

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
But he did keep us up. Got enough points over the season to enable us to finish 17th. You can’t pick a single result between two other teams as the deciding factor.........

Do you understand how ludicrous that is? I’m sure you do.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Not really. Man City went out and won the games they needed to win to get the title. Brighton blew chance after chance to get themselves out of trouble and had to rely on Cardiff being worse and ultimately losing to Fulham and Palace.

Brighton got enough points to avoid relegation - Man City got enough points to win the title. After 20 games Liverpool were 7 points ahead - using your logic you could claim that Man City only won the league because Liverpool were worse than them and blew it by losing three games they shouldn't have.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Brighton got enough points to avoid relegation - Man City got enough points to win the title. After 20 games Liverpool were 7 points ahead - using your logic you could claim that Man City only won the league because Liverpool were worse than them and blew it by losing three games they shouldn't have.

So true!!!!!!!!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This thread is getting really tedious. There seems to be a clutch of posters, some who are probably not even fans of the club, that think Hughton is not to blame for the way the team play. When we win, it's down to his tactics, when we lose it's because the players aren't good enough.

It's almost as if they see him as the second coming!!!

I can't believe they have watched many games as I believe the reason he went was because we were the dullest team in the division yet TB had spent a relative fortune on new players. He spent his time bigging up the opposition which, if I was a player, would do my head in. Yes, we know Man City and the rest of the big six are way ahead but he did it with everyone. What did for him was his defensive approach to every game, his predictability (eg kick offs and the famous 70th min subs), his seemingly inability to get anything out of the new recruits.

We were beaten by all around us apart from Huddersfield and Palace, We finished two places lower than last year and are, apparently, favourites for the drop next year.

Some on here think premier league survival is the be all and end all. Well sorry, I watched the club rise from the third division to the top, back to the basement and back up again. I'd rather we went down playing football than this park the bus and finish 17th approach.

Chris Hughton is a very nice bloke, nobody disputes that, but he lost his way at Brighton. TB had to act quick to get someone in, and I'm glad he did, otherwise wait a week and that's a week into the transfer window. As it is, Potter signed a few days in so we are playing a bit of catch up.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
This thread is getting really tedious. There seems to be a clutch of posters, some who are probably not even fans of the club, that think Hughton is not to blame for the way the team play. When we win, it's down to his tactics, when we lose it's because the players aren't good enough.
Of course Hughton is responsible for how the team played - he was the manager and the buck stopped with him. From Hughton's perspective he wanted to keep the team in the PL and he adopted the approach he felt was necessary to achieve that objective.

In my view Hughton is a very under-rated manager - his biggest problem is that he is not a 'big' name. As a manager he has been more successful than most managers that have managed in the PL - given the resources at his disposal.

can't believe they have watched many games as I believe the reason he went was because we were the dullest team in the division yet TB had spent a relative fortune on new players. He spent his time bigging up the opposition which, if I was a player, would do my head in. Yes, we know Man City and the rest of the big six are way ahead but he did it with everyone. What did for him was his defensive approach to every game, his predictability (eg kick offs and the famous 70th min subs), his seemingly inability to get anything out of the new recruits.
Maybe - just maybe - the 'new recruits' weren't good enough

We were beaten by all around us apart from Huddersfield and Palace, We finished two places lower than last year and are, apparently, favourites for the drop next year.
Brighton was not relegated - and given the money being spent by the opposition that was a significant achievement.

Some on here think premier league survival is the be all and end all. Well sorry, I watched the club rise from the third division to the top, back to the basement and back up again. I'd rather we went down playing football than this park the bus and finish 17th approach.
you are perfectly entitled to hold that view - I suspect the owner, manager and players would prefer not to do that. It takes years to build up a squad capable of being sustainable and playing good football.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

I can't believe they have watched many games as I believe the reason he went was because we were the dullest team in the division yet TB had spent a relative fortune on new players. He spent his time bigging up the opposition which, if I was a player, would do my head in. Yes, we know Man City and the rest of the big six are way ahead but he did it with everyone. What did for him was his defensive approach to every game, his predictability (eg kick offs and the famous 70th min subs), his seemingly inability to get anything out of the new recruits.

Chris Hughton is a very nice bloke, nobody disputes that, but he lost his way at Brighton. TB had to act quick to get someone in, and I'm glad he did, otherwise wait a week and that's a week into the transfer window. As it is, Potter signed a few days in so we are playing a bit of catch up.

This. Wonder if some posters are posting just to be different. If not, ostriches. There is no stat for performances post November 2018 that can justify continuing with CH (and no, staying up is not a stat; it is a function of three fortunate back to back 1-0s).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Completely agree. I had the fortune of missing some of the homes games towards the end of the season but caught the game v Newcastle. We were given a footballing lesson in the first half of that game, and barely 'laid a glove on them'. By half time I was praying we would be relegated so that we didn't have to go through that kind of pain again. Ok, we got over the line, just. However, keeping Hughton would have meant almost certain relegation next year. We may get relegated this coming season, but at least we will do it having a go.
As I live in Manchester, I get quite a few comments about BHA from City fans. One of them today said, 'I bet you are pleased to have got Potter in....you might progress....and you need to get rid of that old, slow cart house upfront as you can't play expansive football with him in your team'. Last part, harsh, but probably some truth in it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This. Wonder if some posters are posting just to be different. If not, ostriches. There is no stat for performances post November 2018 that can justify continuing with CH (and no,[B[ staying up is not a stat; it is a function of three [/B]fortunate back to back 1-0s).

Staying up IS a stat, and it is a function of us getting more points than three other teams. Any other analysis is something from cloud cuckoo land, probably requiring tin-foil headgear.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course Hughton is responsible for how the team played - he was the manager and the buck stopped with him. From Hughton's perspective he wanted to keep the team in the PL and he adopted the approach he felt was necessary to achieve that objective.

And I can't think of a duller team to watch, which reflects on CH. How many games since the Everton win can you say you have thoroughly enjoyed watching, excusing the derby game

In my view Hughton is a very under-rated manager - his biggest problem is that he is not a 'big' name. As a manager he has been more successful than most managers that have managed in the PL - given the resources at his disposal.

That's an odd statement. There are plenty of managers who have been more successful than CH. Pullis, Allardyce, both renowed for keeping teams up, Eddie Howe, Dyche, there are loads that have kept teams up. As for not being a big name, that's because he has never been appointed to manage a top team. He has Newcastle, Birmingham, Norwich and us on his CV. We all know what Norwich fans thought of him, wasn't at Brum long enough and at Newcastle, he was on the coaching team that saw them relegated. He obviously has promotion with us and Newcastle on his CV but no big club is ever going to appoint him despite a few comedians thinking he'll get the gig at Spurs when Poch moves on.

Maybe - just maybe - the 'new recruits' weren't good enough

So why did we buy them? Remember, CH was part of the recruitment team. Maybe, just maybe, he didn't know how to get the best out of them!

Brighton was not relegated - and given the money being spent by the opposition that was a significant achievement.

Bournemouth, Southampton, Burnley, also weren't relegated but of the four, we came the closest

you are perfectly entitled to hold that view - I suspect the owner, manager and players would prefer not to do that. It takes years to build up a squad capable of being sustainable and playing good football.

I have that view because I want to enjoy watching football, not enjoy players, owners etc making money. There is no certainty in life but if you had two buttons in front of you and one guaranteed playing in the PL for 10 seasons but only ever finishing 17th until the last when you are relegated and the other guaranteed alternate years in the PL and Championship, ie you had about 5 promotion seasons but still end in the championship. Which button would you press?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Or for ever?

Can anyone seriously think we will ever be anything but a bottom 6-8 club? We haven’t the money to compete with the big boys and therefore we can only look to be a Burnley or Bournemouth.

Leicester was an absolute fluke in the general scheme of things...and to be honest they are miles better team than we are anyway.

In our first few “home“ matches at Gillingham, could anyone see us being anything other than a lower division club?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Really? You are comparing a Liverpool team that had the highest 2nd points total in history and won eight in a row to still finish 2nd against a team that could only scrape a point at home to Saints, Newcastle, a woefully out of sorts Bournemouth, Burnley and of course Cardiff.

Simplistically, Liverpool were exceptionally unlucky to run into a city side that are a cut above. We were exceptionally lucky to have a dogfight with a team relying on Sol Bamba and Jo Bennett to keep them up whilst Fulham forgot to defend. Finishing 2 points above a limited Cardiff team with a points total that could get you relegated in a lot of other seasons with 3 wins in 23 gets you at minimum questioned and in this case sacked. Potter may or may not be a success but I still don't think you can question the sacking in the context of how we fell apart and relied on Cardiff to get beat by a relegated Fulham and a disinterested Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here